Home gym set (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think the idea is crap.

Home gyms cost more and/or you get less. Great reasons to get one right there.

Take the one you're looking at for example, yes it costs about a third of a years membership and you get what?

- Poor design. Look at the support for the bench when it's set to incline - I would not feel safe doing doing an incline bench press on that. Additionally the lat pulldown is ridiculously poorly stabilised.
- Limited range of exercises
- 75kg of weight. That is tiny. Completely insufficient for weightlifting/bodybuilding/etc. And it doesn't even look like it would all fit on the lat pull-down.

In comparison a gym will probably cost ~$600 over a year. And you will get far more.
- The smallest gym I have ever visited had over 500kg of free weights (weight plates) + fixed dumbells.
- A comprehensive range of machines
- stationary bikes, elipiticals, treadmills, rowers
- Squat racks
- Safe benches
- Free classes
- Free personal training (once month 1hr session usually)

PS: note the postage on that crap is upwards of $100

quik.

HSC
Home gyms are more expensive to setup initially, compared to a gym membership. Over time the savings will add up, however you will have to be consistant with it for it to stop becoming an expensive paper weight in your garage/house.

I currently have a squat rack, bench, olympic barbell and weights, bands and some tiny dumbells from highschool. All up it's cost me around 1600-1700 dollars. With stuff I plan to get in the future, that will probably reach 3000 before I'm truly happy with my setup.

If you honest to allah are set on home gyming it, search the fitness forum, there was a guy asking about home gyms and we outlined a lot of good stuff for him to look into.

(Oh and to answer your question, any multi gym setup I would pass on, free weights are where it's at.)

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC
If you get a barbell etc and wanna do squats, ffs buy a squat rack, i almost died trying to squat once because i had to lift it overhead and go from there.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I want to buy a home gym set instead of paying so much on gym memb fees. Ive decided to buy a new one off ebay.

What do u guys think of it? is it good?

ProStyle Fitness Deluxe Weight Bench Home Gym 75kg PICK - eBay Benches, Strength Training, Exercise, Fitness, Sport. (end time 01-Feb-09 20:00:00 AEDST)

any suggestions would be great.

cheers
It depends on what you're trying to get out of working out, are you trying to lose weight, tone up? Or are you trying to bulk up with muscle? It will decide what kind of equipment you need (if at all).

It doesn't matter whether you do it at the gym or at home on home equipment. It depends on how much willpower you have and it's also good if you have a training partner.

Having said that, home equipment can be pretty good, you'll save a lot of money, you'll be able to work out any time and you won't have to wait for equipment to be free and obviously the only sweat you have to worry about on the equipment is your own.

The disadvantage is that you've got to have the willpower and focus to be able to work out at home on your own.

savio23q

Band
HSC
Home gyms are a waste of time, money and space.
They are incredibly limited with they're weight as someone already mention and they're very uncomfortable...esp cheap ones like this one.
I have one and it's outside rusting. In addition, I had to buy actual weights for it which cost hundreds more than it did.
In my opinion, joining a gym is far more effective. You get better equipment, you save space and you get a general positive and motivating atmosphere, unlike your dull garage or backyard.
I spent $345 on my annual gym membership. Although it's not a state of the art gym, it's got all the equipment i'll ever need. Also, I usually go early in the mornings (7-8am), so there's less people and hence more freedom to use whichever machine I like.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If the OP is at uni they usually have cheap gyms - mine is ~$200 a year.

If the OP is dead-set against joining a gym then the best advice I can give is to buy a set of gymnastics rings and a couple of gymnastics training books. Ever seen olympic gymnasts? They rarely use weights at all. It's all pull-ups, push-ups, air squats, air lunges and work on the rings.

darkwaters

HSC
I am also getting some dumbells. I would join the gym at uni, its just me and my mate want to workout together, and with time restrains, hard to go to the gym. I was 104kgs september last year and im currently at 79kgs, and ive only been doing cardio,and ive gotten advice that i would have lost alot of musle instead of fat because of the workouts not comprising of strength training. So now i want to start lifting weights. I can barely bench 90kgs, so i dnt know why this machine would not meet my needs, of course for body builders its a laugh, but for a strength training newbie, still not a good option?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I am also getting some dumbells. I would join the gym at uni, its just me and my mate want to workout together, and with time restrains, hard to go to the gym. I was 104kgs september last year and im currently at 79kgs, and ive only been doing cardio,and ive gotten advice that i would have lost alot of musle instead of fat because of the workouts not comprising of strength training. So now i want to start lifting weights. I can barely bench 90kgs, so i dnt know why this machine would not meet my needs, of course for body builders its a laugh, but for a strength training newbie, still not a good option?
Judging by your weight, I don't think the home gym set won't be good enough. When I was working out years ago, the weights on the home gym were never enough for me. You'd have to buy more weights and at the same time make sure that the gym set you've got is sturdy enough to hold the extra weight.

In that case I would just advise to get a basic weight bench and train with free weights rather than machine weights (machine weights aren't recommended for focused trainers like you). Something like this is good enough. Get enough weights to keep you going. With free weights, you should be able to out together a workout plan that will target any muscle group. With machine weights, you're restricted to whatever the machine is set up for. The basic work bench plus weights will probably be cheaper to buy, it'll be sturdy and it'll last you a long long time.

*edited - I just saw quik's post here, I agree and he is correct:

(Oh and to answer your question, any multi gym setup I would pass on, free weights are where it's at.)

Last edited:

muscleman09

HSC
home gym sets arent always da way 2 go brah, they tend 2 be shit qualiz, jus go gym man faaa
ayri ba ayri

home gyms are fine... it depends though, like are you planning to build up muscle/tone up your entire body?

If so, then i would also say, go to the gym. Because if your paying for a gym membership, your going to force yourself to go, because your paying high dollars for it. Were as you buy a home set, for a couple hundred bucks, use it for a month or too, then you become lazy and say.. "meh i will do a workout tomorow".

Tomorow becomes tomorow again, and again and again. This happened to me lol.

So now i just go to the gym. However, home gym sets are great if your just say concentrating on upper body. A variety of exercises on the weights also with free weights will definately get you the toned muscled body your looking for.

OR, just become a bricky, their big.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I find going to gym so much better because I wouldn't be motivated enough around my house to exercise (because of distractions and etc.)

And there isn't much difference in cost...

HSC
My home gym is the best investment I've ever made (I've spent thousands).

There's simply nothing you can't do in terms of bulking up with a barbell, squat rack and bench.

The fags here make arguements like 'doesn't have machines' or 'where's my treadmill?'

The big 3 (squats, deadlifts and bench) develop all of your body to a greater extent than any machine will. Add overhead presses, bent rows, cleans, heavy ab work and the occasional set of curls and you will be doing the same routine most powerlifters and competitive footballers do, plus some squat racks have pull up and dipping bars which are also awesome exercises!

The one you're looking at is a pile of dog shit though brah, get yourself this -

Powertec Power Rack - Rated to 1000lbs!

And a 180kg olympic barbell set.

edit: and for anyone reading, cardio is for those who love the cock.

Last edited:

kati85

HSC
N/A
That powertec rack is very tempting. I'm looking to set up a home gym myself. However, being a girl, I can't see myself needing one with a load of 1000lbs. What do people think about this one? I like the fact that it has a hi/low pulleys eg. lat pulldown/cable row option and a chinning bar.

Power Rack with High Low Pulley -$545

It's selling for $545.

cassieagill

HSC
go to garage sales, people always buy home gyms, never use them and then try to get rid of them cheap...i see them all the time, mostly barely been used :)

HSC
That powertec rack is very tempting. I'm looking to set up a home gym myself. However, being a girl, I can't see myself needing one with a load of 1000lbs. What do people think about this one? I like the fact that it has a hi/low pulleys eg. lat pulldown/cable row option and a chinning bar.

Power Rack with High Low Pulley -$545

It's selling for $545.
Even though you're a girl, if you're goal is to get fitter and stronger then you should exercise in the same way as males.

Lat towers are useless imo because they use less musculature than a pull up/chin up and most non commercial ones are pretty low quality and wont last.

I had a look at it, pretty good for the price and it has a chinning bar anyway so I'd probably get that. You'll probably find the lat tower will shit itself in time though.

I also like the Muscle Motion Power Rack on the same page - $50 more but its much more sturdy. Only argument I can see against it is it requires an olympic bar, which if you're serious in getting fit or a sport you should probably invest in anyway.

edit: I've changed my opinion of late and these days I'm pretty against power racks. Though the chinning bar is useful they take up a lot of space and the safety bars just arn't necessary for anyone with common sense. I like my squat rack, and if I had my time again I'd probably invest in a vulcan rack II:

Used by the US olympic team, can be adjusted for benching, squatting (even wide squats) and pressing and can be folded up for storage. $500 US plus shipping.

Just weighting on the olympic barbell and 180kg weights to arrive sometime today or tomorrow morning .. and real lifting begins!
didja order from gym and fitness?

btw, I've picked up starting strength and practical programming. I'm 1/3rd of the way through, the books are incredible.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)