• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Holy Mother Of All Internet Browsers (1 Viewer)

Which is the best?

• Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Safari

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Opera

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Netscape Navigator

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Best rendering engine: Safari (Best version of webkit) Fastest on windows: Chrome Fastest on mac: chrome Best extensibility: Firefox Only fuckwits use: Internet Explorer Only stupid cunts use: Opera

fenerli

HSC
So which browser is the best and why?

Which has the best addons?

Which is the quickest?

Which one is the biggest hog?

Which one has the sexiest themes?

Which one do you actually use?
Best is Firefox as it has a great base feature set and community (extensions).

Google Chrome is the fastest.

IE7 is the biggest resource hog, followed by IE8, then Firefox 3, then Firefox 3.5

Most custom themes suck, except the ones based on existing designs such as Chromifox for Firefox.

I use Firefox and Google Chrome, about half and half, migrating to Chrome but waiting for some features.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeh, I use IE as I can't see any advantages of firefox, it has all I need so I'm rollin with it. I got opera recently and think that is fairly decent but prolly not enough to make me switch.
What do I need to do to convince you to permanently switch? It's the best browser ever, imo. It's quick, it's full-featured (unlike Chrome or Firefox without its extensions, and yes I hate how you have to add-on something everytime you want to do something), and it's just the KING. If it's a matter of JavaScripts not running well on FB or WebCT or something, the latest version (Opera 10.01) fixes those. Compatibility isn't a major issue nowadays either. Does no-one else use Opera? :( I'm the only one so far who voted it. lol at Netscape Navigator though. Who uses that nowadays?

xceL

HSC
Firefox is more customizable but I see no REAL advantages of using it over Google Chrome.

Took me a while to adjust to the overly simplistic style of Chrome but I've grown to love it way more than firefox.
It's never crashed on me, apparently it's far more secure and it loads ridiculously fast compared to my other browsers.

vds700

HSC
Firefox is more customizable but I see no REAL advantages of using it over Google Chrome.

Took me a while to adjust to the overly simplistic style of Chrome but I've grown to love it way more than firefox.
It's never crashed on me, apparently it's far more secure and it loads ridiculously fast compared to my other browsers.
+1
I've gone from ff to chrome, liking it alot as its uncluttered and speedy

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Right now I'm into chrome. Rocks on my netbook.. although I am yet to find a decent adblocker >_>... which is quite essential for productivity on the internet these days.

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, all this talk of loading faster and stuff, my net is 1500kb (dl at 160kb/s) so pages pretty much instaload anyway. My experience with the download manager in firefox has put me off it cos i couldnt never pause and resume dls, they always just started from scratch again (iunno if this has been fixed) but yeh.

EDIT: yeh, I realise why I disliked opera, it was cos the text is thinner and stupid looking compared to IE and I looked in all the settings and shit and nothing fixed it. Also real player + IE = win for instant dling youtube vidz (after watched of course).

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I can understand your distaste with Opera I personally dislike it. Firefox's download manager is actually good now days but Chrome's is better for bigger files. With IE you're also opening up huge problems with security that you don't find with most other browsers.

Also why would you like Real Player it installs ad-ware that you can't permanently get rid off without a reformat and it is essentially a piece of crap now days, just use one of the many third party downloaders for Youtube.

lala2

Banned
HSC
EDIT: yeh, I realise why I disliked opera, it was cos the text is thinner and stupid looking compared to IE and I looked in all the settings and shit and nothing fixed it.
You could apply a skin. The beauty of Opera is you can download skins and apply them immediately without having to close and reopen the browser. What do you mean by the text is thinner?

HSC
Uni Grad
I can understand your distaste with Opera I personally dislike it. Firefox's download manager is actually good now days but Chrome's is better for bigger files. With IE you're also opening up huge problems with security that you don't find with most other browsers.

Also why would you like Real Player it installs ad-ware that you can't permanently get rid off without a reformat and it is essentially a piece of crap now days, just use one of the many third party downloaders for Youtube.
Really like the sound of chrome for bigger files.

As for security, popups are off and security level is medium-high (though i have a firewall which has never let me down (for over 5 years) so i dont really care about that, however instead of payin for it next time I think ill just go with windows firewall, as friends use it and have no probz.

Real Player hasnt done anything like that for me, you sure that was the culprit?

You could apply a skin. The beauty of Opera is you can download skins and apply them immediately without having to close and reopen the browser. What do you mean by the text is thinner?
Yeh, that wasnt great wording but it is the best way to describe it. I tried crtl + to zoom but that didnt change, tried lookin at fonts but both are times new roman / courier new so iunno what's goin on there.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Firstly no-one would say that Windows Firewall is good and not be trolling. Seriously you can generally get a free equivalent of a paid product that is just as good or better, namely in the security world.

Seriously get a real virus scanner and you'll realise that every time you let Real Player connect to the Internet it downloads more tracking cookies, also just read some of the articles on it they all back me up.

HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly they havent had problems and actively game and torrent etc. No it isnt good, but it seems to get the job done. Yes I would use a free product for viruses and spyware/adaware etc.

My virus scanner finds a lot of shit that it claims to be adaware and stuff (+ a few viruses occasionally), but ive never had to reformat (for that reason) and my scanner just quarantines or deletes them, perhaps if you had a better one you wouldnt have had to reformat.

As for real player and the tracking cookies, that doesnt really bother me, yes articles do back you up however I only use it for saving the vidz off sites and dont use any other program features (other than playback) so maybe cos I dont use the browsery thing in there I dont have any probz.

EDIT: However I have now disabled RealPlayer from connecting to the interwebz, the download manager is a seperate program so everything is fine there, now ill run a scan and see what comes up as RP had connected to the net before I blocked it.

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Note I said permanently delete them. Claiming that the Windows Firewall gets the job done really depends on what OS you're running. XP the firewall is absolutely useless where as Vista or 7 because of the better underlying security features it is generally alright but it would be recommended to get a third-party firewall such as Comodo.

HSC
Uni Grad
Note I said permanently delete them.
Ah, I stand corrected. I have had it for ages and noticed nothing. To make sure ill use an independent program to do a malware scan incase my virus/ad-ware/spyware scanner is missing it.

Claiming that the Windows Firewall gets the job done really depends on what OS you're running. XP the firewall is absolutely useless where as Vista or 7 because of the better underlying security features it is generally alright but it would be recommended to get a third-party firewall such as Comodo.
Comodo looks awesome, thanks for that, never come across that in my searches.

hugh2112

HSC
Chrome and Safari are the fastest, followed by Opera then Firefox then IE8. Netscape Navigator is a discontinued product (it became open-source, eventually turning into the Mozilla Project which spawned Firefox).

Market-wise, IE8 dominates around 75%, followed by Firefox at around 20%, then the others take the remains.

About the multiple processes for Chrome and IE8, yes it does use more RAM but it is more secure. e.g. crashing Chrome or IE8 only crashes the tab, not the whole browser. I think Safari may be the same as it also is a RAM-heavy browser.

BOTTOM LINE: Safari and Chrome are the fastest yet the most RAM-intensive. Firefox is popular due to it's customisability, Opera is alright (i've never actually used it), IE8 only dominates because of Microsoft's marketing strategies.
my setup at home uses Firefox and Chrome (my Chrome has some compatibility issues which i've yet to try and fix)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
which internet browser downloads files the quickest for you all?

these days i use chrome most of the time and FF sometimes, but i've noticed that downloads are quicker in FF for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)