Hiya ... kinda a prediction? A little rant to boot. (1 Viewer)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Can you predict for me ... ? I don't know why I'm asking, I'm more curious on what you base this on Huy (you're the one with the most recent responses that has some decided opinions)

Advanced English:
Trial HSC Mark: 82.5% (Totally fudged my AOS)
Progressive Ranking: 8/74

... we aren't meant to know our raw assessment mark, are we? I believe mine is about 87% (raw - maths friend worked it out for me)

Economics:
Trial HSC Mark: 84%
Trial Rank: 1st
Progressive Rank: 2/21

Business Studies
Trial HSC Mark: 90%
Trial Rank: 1st
Progressive Rank: 1/30

Legal Studies:
Trial Mark: 78% (Yeah, I fudged this up a bit too)
Trial rank: 7th or 8th
Progressive Rank: 3/27

Italian Beginners:
Trial Mark: 89%
Trial Rank: 2
Progressive Rank: 2/9

But I dont care about my UAI so much as how you're basing this. Oh and school: Burwood Girls High School ... we've had some great marks at our school - high 90s ... and my sister with her 99.7 *grumbles*

So yeah. And I also more concerned with - do you all care what you get? Why is it so important to break the 90+ mark? Does it make a difference if you get 89 or 90? Just as an ego boost?

I don't understand the world. I didn't know where to post my rant and use this as a legitmate enough excuse.

Huy

HSC
N/A
94-95.
I don't know why I'm asking, I'm more curious on what you base this on Huy (you're the one with the most recent responses that has some decided opinions)
Random numbers popping out of my head (dodging the question) ;)
And I also more concerned with - do you all care what you get? Why is it so important to break the 90+ mark? Does it make a difference if you get 89 or 90? Just as an ego boost?
I don't really care what I get.

It doesn't make that much of a difference between 89.95 and 90.00, maybe it "looks & sounds better" if you can say "I got 90.00+"

It's an ego boost, definately, but there's nothing wrong with 89.

:)

ruella

of course, it also depends on what course you wanna do at uni, or even if you wanna go to uni.
if you don't want to go to do any sort of tertiary education, you don't really need a uai...do you?

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Well personally - I'd be in bliss with a mark in the 70s or 80s

"Just" the 70s and 80s.

I agree that it determines wether you'll get into uni or not - but that's not what I'm saying ... I'm simply saying, why is a mark in the 90s so important? The majority of the time (And I use majority) - it seems like a person is elated if they get 90 yet happy with 89. A one percent difference! What is the obsession with 90?!

That's what I don't understand. The HSC/UAI don't measure intelligence. Why is a mark of 90 going to be so great?

And ... do I need a UAI? Well supposedly I do. My UAC form was pretty disgusting with options in the 90s (UTS - international studies ... I just need to find me a way to get overseas!)

BUT ... I would be dandy if I got in the 70s, as I've already said. And I dont 'need' a UAI of a certain thing - I'll take what I get. If I do "shite" and can't get into a certain course ... well tough luck for me, and I'll do something else.

And this was all a ramble about not alot ...

So 'scuse that. Have a tendency to do that ... particularly in essays - but meh.

Do you care about breaking the 90 mark?

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'd be happy with an 80s mark, but i guess i would be disappointed with myself if it were < 70 (its just me... and where im at, im not saying <70 is 'crap' or whatnot, but that's just my own benchmark)

most people like to talk about "those who got over 90" - and they like to talk about the 100s more than anyone else, who they are, what school, marks, etc.

it gives them something to aspire to :)

yeah, the uai doesnt measure intelligence, it's just a rank for uni entrance.
I would be dandy if I got in the 70s, as I've already said. And I dont 'need' a UAI of a certain thing - I'll take what I get. If I do "shite" and can't get into a certain course ... well tough luck for me, and I'll do something else.
i like your attitude (honestly)

*thumbs up* :)

i'd like to break the 90 mark... because i've worked pretty hard (in my opinion) at it. but then again, if i dont, i dont. i'll still breathe and sleep, etc as i would normally, it wont change me as a person "all that much" if i get 85 or 95.

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Seems like your attitude is pretty fantastic too. :)

I also dont mind what mark I get ... because procrastination has been a great friend this past year! So I know that I could've put in a lot more effort and done a lot better ... but meh.

I hope you get your mark of 90+ - people that have consistently worked hard have a tendency to be pleasently surprised. And I highly doubt you're about to get <70s - I agree with you that you dont want to say that that's a crap mark, but you're not in that category ... and as soon as you do get <70 or <60, it becomes Ruella's case of getting into University ... it makes it decidedly difficult. Even at Univeristy of New England, whose entry marks are fairly low ... they dont have courses below something like 65. I put UNE down as an option.

And if the obsession of 90+ mark keeps a person motivated and they're happy being neurotic ... then I guess it's a case of leaving them be.

Meh.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Seems like your attitude is pretty fantastic too. :)
thanks man! :)
Originally posted by Nupil
I also dont mind what mark I get ... because procrastination has been a great friend this past year! So I know that I could've put in a lot more effort and done a lot better
I know exactly what you mean,

you've done all the work, you've read all your notes, but there's always that little bit extra you could have done, a few more hrs each night, more time dedicated to studying, and so on.
I hope you get your mark of 90+ - people that have consistently worked hard have a tendency to be pleasently surprised.
Thanks again :D :)
yeah, that's what usually happens. if you put in the hard work early on in the game (year), you'll be rewarded in the end.

if you're intelligent (naturally, whatever), then you can be a complete bludger all year, but the final HSC exam wont make up for everything as it's a 50/50 split between assessment (internal, school) and examination (external) marks.

i guess i can be pretty confident and maybe even a little laid back about things, but it's when you become overly confident (dare i say even cocky) about it that your world crumbles around you and you'll be severely disappointed in yourself, in the long run/come Dec 19th :)

taking a leaf from your page, "meh"
i'd better get something in my stomach (havent eaten all day)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Hope you've eaten by now! :p Wouldn't want to faint before exams ... though I was considering purposefully breaking my right arm, not only to not do HSC ... but I'd get to be ambidextrous!

But that's not really relevant - is it? and you're not planning on breaking your arm anytime soon - are you?

I agree with you on doing bugger all - that's obviously going to affect your final results ... however I must say; it's possible to just to "okay" during the year because you don't care enough - and then really really 'buckle down' for the HSC (I never realised how much work other people can do in a space of 4 weeks! I guess I've always been too distracted to notice...)

And getting cocky is rarely going to happen with people that actually do well - they're usually paranoid about not doing well. Though then you do get the select few that are cocky and do well. Damn tossers. But it's cool to be laid back enough to not be stressed out. A couple of my acquaintences are freaking out and I'm kinda glad I'm not going through that myself ... yet. I'll probably stress Sunday night and then just go "Fuck it" much like most other exams in life. Though I always find english the worst! Nerve wracking as hell!

And do our UAIs get released Dec 19? I thought we got them sent on the 21st or something...?

I think if you're intelligent, you're in the fortunate position to be able to "study-smart" - whereas someone not so 'naturally' intelligent would have to dedicate merely more time. Though I never really understood the definition of naturally intelligent - does it just connotate that someone knows lots of stuff'n'things without trying? Or said person can learn things quickly? And even if they are 'naturally' intelligent - will they be 'naturally' intelligent at everything? And then there's those people that are intellectual ... but are never going to perform well on HSC/UAI - because they're intelligence falls outside the curriculum. Look at Dean Kamen, one of the greatest modern scientist - yet never completed his college degree. I know people with intelligence like that.

I'm peachy keen for now, I'm still kinda waiting for the stomach eating raging butterflies to kick-in soon.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
And do our UAIs get released Dec 19? I thought we got them sent on the 21st or something...?
HSC results on the 18th December
UAIs on the 19th December

(I'm trying not to turn this forum into a "chat" or Non-School thread hehe :))

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Sorry about that...

Well 19th Dec - here we come. Thanks Cyph.

xGSiR

Hah i think if i post my marks & ranks, i think Huy will give me an estimate that i wouldn't like to hear but still have hope for *sigh*

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xGSiR
i think if i post my marks & ranks, i think Huy will give me an estimate that i wouldn't like to hear
I won't lie to you, at least know that much.

And I won't underestimate you if that's what you think (although it could happen...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)