History Quiz (1 Viewer)

malayz_angel

Well, we have to revise for our trials soon people, or at least I have to do anyway...I came up with the idea of posting modern history questions here. If you know the answer, it will be an opportunity for others to test themselves here. If you don't, well, maybe someone else can help you out. I'll start...

I know the answer to these :p Easy ones to start off with

1) When did WW1 start and finish?
2) Name some possible causes of World War One
3) Tell me about the Treaty of Versailles

Feel free to answer these or post up your own questions :D

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
1. 1914-1918

2. Argh...from what I recall it started from some Soviet dude assassinating an important person from...Austria-Hungary and the Germans declared war on the Russians, thus resulting in the Schlieffen Plan which turned out to fail, resulting in the entry of France, Britain & Belgium into the war. I think.

3. Treaty of Versailles was received with hostility in Germany as it demanded them to (a few things off the top of my head):
i) Return Alsace-Lorraine back to France (Wilson's 8th point)
ii) Pay a huge amount in reperations $$$ for the destruction they caused in the war
iii) They were to destroy all armaments (weapons etc), the army was limited in its numbers, no tanks or heavy artillery, no airforce.
However the worst was the "War Guilt Clause" which blamed the Germans for the wall.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Oooh... sounds like fun ;) I haven't read whoever posted above, just the first post.. if ya get me ;)

1) 1914 - 1918

2) Causes?... hmmm...
-The Balkan wars - Austria wanting to move into the Balkans and Russia defending Serbia.. something to that effect ;)
-The Morroccan Crises of 1909 and 1911, when Germany tried to undermind the French rule in Morrocco. The British got worried because they had important colonies just round the corner
-Nationalism, of cause ;)
-Self-Determination - nations in the Balkans wanting autonomy.
-Militaristic - Germany's naval fleet rivaled the empire's, thus Britian was getting agitated. Also, how quickly Germany built up their empire.
-The alliance game - Triple Entent' (Russia, France and England) and the triple alliance (Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy).
-Guess you would talk about Bismark and how his forgien policy isolated France and allowed Germany to have a hell of alot of power in Europe before Wilhlem ousted him.
-Weltpolitik(world policy) - of Kaiser Wilhelm II.
-and, of cause, the assassination of Duke Fernandez and his pregant wife on the streets of Sarenjavo on 1 July (???) 1914. The Duke, heir the the Hapsburg throne, although not really liked in his empire, gave Austria-Hungary an excuse to invade Serbia, where the terrorist who shot Fernandez came from (an adolesant from the 'Red Hand'. I think..). How, AH invasion of Serbia gave Russia an excuse to invade AH, as they were upholding their end of a treaty signed between Rus. and Serb. Then the big camps come in. Germany comes in to defend AH by setting the Schielfen Plan into action. Italy is also drawn into the war (however, switchs sides in 1915, when the alies promise Italy ports in the Southern Balkans) Germany marches through Belgium, a neutral nations, which causes France and England to jump in. Plan 17 is mobalised.

It goes further than that, but I can't remember exact facts off the top of my head ;)

3) Treaty of Versailles.... argh... can't remember anything....

-Article 321 - War Guilt clause.
-Reparations - can't 'member exact price.
-the forbidden alliance between Austria and Germany. Auns..something. Damn. ;)
-Wilson's 14 points - Self Determination, League of Nations ect
-occupation of the Rhine, demilitarised sarrland, occupation of the Rhur... all vital to Germany's economy.

I can't think of much now.. I should study ;)

mick

damm if u's are saying that stuff and say u's have to study what do i have to do im screwed.i have a test tomorrow and i need ehlp badly,thats why im in here lookin.....

Alexander

Gold Member
Fun!

What were the roles and goals (and results if very keen) of:
Wilson?
Lloyd George?
Clemenceau?
at the Paris Peace Conference

&

Explain why stalemate occured?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by White Rabbit
-and, of cause, the assassination of Duke Fernandez and his pregant wife on the streets of Sarenjavo on 1 July (???) 1914. The Duke, heir the the Hapsburg throne, although not really liked in his empire, gave Austria-Hungary an excuse to invade Serbia, where the terrorist who shot Fernandez came from (an adolesant from the 'Red Hand'. I think..). How, AH invasion of Serbia gave Russia an excuse to invade AH, as they were upholding their end of a treaty signed between Rus. and Serb. Then the big camps come in. Germany comes in to defend AH by setting the Schielfen Plan into action. Italy is also drawn into the war (however, switchs sides in 1915, when the alies promise Italy ports in the Southern Balkans) Germany marches through Belgium, a neutral nations, which causes France and England to jump in. Plan 17 is mobalised.
Good work. .. Just to be pedantic though, the assassination occured on the 28th of June 1914, and Princep was a member of the 'Black Hand'.

Motz

Uhhh Wilson was basically gunning for his 14 points for peace and the set up for the league of nations, so that europe would be free from this kind of catastrophe and would be able to successfully maintain its affairs. Failed because Wilson wasn't re-elected and the US Senate refused to join the league meaning that the league's power was not strong enough, and didn't have any powerful influences outside europe that could make it work properly. (okay dodgy language)

Lloyd George wanted to not hurt Germany too harshly, so to protect Britain's economic interests as trading in Europe and particularly Germany was vital to this. Also saw the danger in Germany being completely crushed. The fact that Germany rose again leading to hitler, showed that they were too harsh, or not harsh enough. (over the place)

Clemenceau wanted to completely crush Germany so they would never ever be able to attack France again. However, he wasn't in a position whereby he could reinforce these views and had to follow Britain lead.

Stalemate occured due to the power of defensive warfare over offense, in particular trenches and machine guns. It could be said to be down to lack of movement, cavalry was useless in the face of the gunpower. Also, trains played a big part as armies could be moved quickly behind defenses (in France), whereas the German armies were forced to march....Stalemate broke open due to the tank in particular, reopening the war of movement.

There are more reasons of course, but i've finished my trial.

Motz

mmmmm i answered that, mainly cause in my trial my questions were all about the role of British women on the homefront. I didn't know anything at all, having prepared for stuff more like that.

!

Alexander

Gold Member
Wery goot Motz,
I'd probably add that Wilson did get his 14-points, and they were the basis German surrender (self-determination etc), (but like you said, the US didnt enter the League)

Add that Lloyd George was the mediator at Versaille (for France and US), and gave in to public demands to "squeeze German lemon"

And Clemenceau was the bad guy. Also President of the Versaille meetings, and the only reason a very very hard reparation was imposed.

For stalemate, I would add Failure of Schleiffen Plan, Battle of the Marne and 'Race to the Sea'.

Fun fun
Now someone else do it!

Benno

HSC
nah soz i agree with motz wilsons 14 points failed and germany was treated to harsly

simmmo

well either the allies had to treat germany very harshly and totally get ridf of any chance of Germany recovering, which france did want but Britain and US didnt. but if they did that germany wouldnt be able to trade with anybody, especialy the British, becuase they would be stuffed.

the other option was to say "we'll let you off this time" which couldve meant germany would be grateful to be let off and be peaceful again, which was what Britain and US hoped, or they'd take it as an excuse to keep on going with their agressive policy.

in the end the allies did neither and opted for a middle approach which pleased nobody

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Wilson, Lloyd George and Clemenceau all desired Germany to pay reperations, in order to fund their respective war efforts (This was common throughout the Triple Alliance and Triple Entente powers..). I believe 'Making Germany Pay' was also one of George's key promises in the 1918 'Khaki Election'.

An example of the German desire for reperations can be seen in the Treaty Of Brest-Litovsk, which beside a huge quantity of financial reperations, eventually involved the 1918 occupation of a large area of the Ukraine.

As such, demanding reperations in itself was not a major difference, but the manner in which these were suggested and their severity was, apparent in Clemenceau's demands for preventing Germany from rising again.

MaNgO pAnCaKeS

answers....i think

1. ww1 started 1914 and ended 1918

2. there's heaps of causes to WW1's occurance. For instance there was this outbreak of colonialism in order to receive trade and there was the conquest for most World powers to gain imperialism and to be no.1. But the immediate causes was mainly the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand in saranjevo, since there was this movement of pan-slavism emerging.

3. The most significant thing that came out of the Treaty of Versailles was article 231 - blaming solely germany for the occurance of WW1. This suited the French as they wanted a harsh peace for Germany. US president woodrow wilson however wanted a soft peace as indicated in his 14 points. It was this Treaty of Versailles that ended up fuelling the minds of Germans to become a great Empire once again, which then led to the emergence of Nazi Germany and WW2

Versaille -a Weimar perspective-

*Versaille cased the collapse of the Weimar Republic
-economically *reparations
(keynes + Taylor) * stagflation of '23 (from Rhur
Crisis... failure to pay reparations)

-socially *(1st ppl lose life savings and turn against republic)
* stab in the back legend/
*foreign origin/ nature of weimar democracy, imposed
by treaty, encounted great opposition
-see support for KPD + Hindenburg (anti-dem.)

P.S
Causes of ww1 is not on ANY syllabus in this new HSC. So why waste time learning about it?

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by 1986
P.S
Causes of ww1 is not on ANY syllabus in this new HSC. So why waste time learning about it?

Its in the prelim, one tho...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)