History & Memory - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

hollyd7

HSC
heyy yehh its on monday and i no thiis will probably be useless but! with fiftieth gate, my related texts are Schindler's List by Stephen Spielberg and We Will Never Forget - Auschwitz by Alexander Kimel (poem) - they're really good in terms of keeping with the whole theme of the Holocaust.

Good Luck :)

yorky

HSC
life is beautiful is a really good one, any teacher who syas its not good sounds interesting, because it shows clear links between the accurate depiction of personal memory/history and the covered up history presented by the nazis. you have to focus on either the representation of an event, a situation or a personality. so the use of that movie focuses on the representation of that event, memento through charcterisation represents a situation of a man with anterograde amnesia. the important aspect is not only the link between history and memory the composer is depicting, but also the the truth which can be derived, 'representation and meaning'.

best of luck for monday, i wouldnt attempt to do a novel now, use movie or a personality such as MLK.

woodentoy

HSC
rama_v said:
They dont all have to be about the holocaust, you could do anything else thats related to history and memory..Helps to add more depth to the study I think
I know this was like, two years ago, but it's still relevant. I was leaning towards finding related material that dealt with history and memory in regards to subjects other than the Holocaust (since history & memory is the broader topic and Baker's text is an outreach of that), but my English teacher pretty much said you have to do it on the Holocaust. From anyone's experience, do markers care which way you go? Now that I've found my Holocaust stuff I don't particularly want to revert.

Last edited:

bestfriends?

HSC
we are doing hist + mem, but our teacher had us 4 1 lesson, and has been sick since

we had a sub and he doesnt know much.its annoying.

for the related texts. i used Friedrich [a text about the holocaust, but set from a childs perspective] and another texdt from the newspaper.

our teacher left us notes about related texts, she said dont use 2 related texts dealing with the holocaust.. cos the elective is "History + Memory" not "the holocaust"

i dunno. assessment in 2 days. should be writing practices essays.

its so dumb. and our techer is leaving in week5 next term for a round the world holiday.

SO PISSED

she is good. but wont be here for actual HSC.

nathzpiggie

HSC
Is it okay to use foreign films? One substitute teacher recommended the chinese movie, Hero but my other teacher said it was best not to do foreign films....

Sammika

HSC
woodentoy said:
I know this was like, two years ago, but it's still relevant. I was leaning towards finding related material that dealt with history and memory in regards to subjects other than the Holocaust (since history & memory is the broader topic and Baker's text is an outreach of that), but my English teacher pretty much said you have to do it on the Holocaust. From anyone's experience, do markers care which way you go? Now that I've found my Holocaust stuff I don't particularly want to revert.
I was told specifically NOT to have related texts that were about the holocaust. It is easier to find connections which might be why your teacher told you to but it means you are focusing too much on the historical event rather than how history and memory are portrayed in a text. You'll get a better grade if you are able to analyse texts that have different (but complementary) themes. Try to pick a broader theme than the holocaust, like struggles or hardship .

Also, Life is Beautiful would be a good text but like someone said before it is a set text for another one of the other modules and its not that the examiner will get confused, its that they will think you are lazy and are just re-using one of your old set-texts. I wanted to do Wild Swans and I can't because its on the list of set texts :mad1:

lillilyfields

HSC
I was definitely not told anything regarding whether our related texts were meant to be related to the core text we are studying, and I'm studying The Fiftieth Gate, so I've just been looking around for texts about the Holocaust.

But is it actually okay to use the Sydney Jewish Museum? What medium do you call it? It's a visual medium all right, but it isn't a film or anything. Please help me!!:confused:

woho

HSC
For 50th Gate, the film "Everything Is Illuminated" (2005) is gold.

omarast

HSC
i am doing the 50th gate
is it better to use text related to the holocaust for history and memory for ur complementary texts or to have 3 varied texts related to history and memory? i no this is optional but which would a teacher geneally prefer.

if ur central text is the 50th gate could u use ned kelly and memenot for ur complimentart texts?

and what are some very good suggestions for complementary texts texts which are not novels e.g. poster, poem, song etc

and last question which is abit of the topic lol, for hsc english exams what are all the sorts of questions u can be asked to anwser in a english exam for the last section e.g recount, interviews, dialogues, narrative etc​

Last edited:

lucilleM

HSC
Elie Wiesel's speech "Listen to the silent screams" -full of techniques
and
the film Momento

InsanityFreedom

HSC
'The Pianist' (2003) directed by Roman Polanski. It's really good & relates really well to 'The Fiftieth Gate'. Polanski's life experiences also help with history & memory.

Emmarr

HSC
anyone think of schindler's list by Steven Spielberg?
captures one of the scenes from the text Fiftieth Gate beautifully, when they enter the showers.

im doing that and a hollocaust survivor recount.

ledden cooper

HSC
N/A
Hey I was wondering where I could find notes on memento. I went poorly in my history and memory essay and have been searching everywhere for some help. thank you :]

super-em

HSC
HELP!!!!
schindlers list quotes/concepts. I DONT GET IT!
trial tomorrow at 9am :(
using it for history & memory with the fiftieth gate, aftermath by rosylyn someone and don mcleans american pie.

Storme1391

HSC
hey i was wondering if i could use Tim Burton's 'big fish' for history and memory? because im doing The Fiftieth Gate and it can relate really well-as in finding the truth in memory, how memory and fact support each other, the son and his father retelling his life story....except apprently its a text used for imaginative journeys? ahh. help.

and the only other realted text i can suggest is the doco, "the mascot" or the film, "everything is illuminated" this would work really well with the Fiftieth gate because they can easily relate.

osamabanana

HSC
we using a compass documentary "claiming the memory". Its about a group of 3rd generation australian jewish students who travel to Poland to comemorate he march of the living. very good text to use. Others we used were the diary of anne frank, the children we remember. we used life is beautiful in year 11 but were told not 2 use it as its on the journeys list or something

davod03

HSC
hey guys im using 50th gate plus schinlders list. im also using we will never forgt-auschwitz the poem however having trouble analysiign it properly. if anyone who did it could pm me with a bit of help on what part of the poem i should look at closely that would be great.

cheers guys, and good luck to anyone doing 2008 hsc.

lilylissy

HSC
I'm in year 11 and I'll be doing The 50th Gate next year. But someone mentioned Elie Weisel. He wrote a book called "Night". Which is a Holocaust memoir. It is not a large novel, it is relatively thin, but I hope it could be of use to alot of you! It would be a great text to use and regardless is a great book!

Last edited:

Hatta

HSC
Emmarr said:
anyone think of schindler's list by Steven Spielberg?
Everyone thinks of Schindler's List by Steven Spielberg.

Some alternatives for film:
Shoah - Claud Lanzmann - was going to use it, but I can only get the first dvd.
A Very Long Engagement - Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Good Bye, Lenin! (one I'm using, very good) - Wolfgang Becker
As someone else said, Big Fish - Tim Burton. relates well to Genia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)