History & Memory: I was only nineteen (1 Viewer)

C

Cassiemon

I want to use this as an other related text, but I can't find any information on it and am totally stuck in apply history and memory to it.. probably because I am stuck when it comes to the entire module -_-
Can anyone help me 'evaluate the text by analysing and explaining how history and memory are represented'?

Can anyone help me identiy different stylistic devices?

And how, in the end, history and memory are represented..
I need to compare to fiftieth gate too of course..
any kind of help would be greatly appreciated..
assignment due tomorrow-_-

THANKYOU!!!:D

bored of sc

HSC
If you're having trouble relating it to History an Memory I suggest you choose a different related text.

The text is a song --> so you should analyse lyrics as you would analyse poetry but also analyse the use of musical concepts such as pitch, duration etc (doing the subject music helps).

You could also look at a music video/film clip version of it if you stuck for techniques.

I know very little about this text as it is about a historical event (World War 1 I believe) and I am historically inept.

Here's some stuff:
- The lyrics have a narrative kind of structure coupled with the refrain (God help me I was only 19). Classic war story.
- The song is in strophic form (different lyrics sung over the same musical material), conventional for ballad style/popular music.
- The lyrics are highly emotive yet they are not hyperbolic.
- The use of the names of Asian places provides authenticity.
- Personalised and individualised memories stress the significance/immensity of the personal effects of a historical event such as war.
- The song uncovers the true nature of war (it is barbaric and tragic) by using a personal memory focus (emotional and intimate) rather than a media focus (which at the time was to glorify war and persuade Australian men, including teenagers, to sign up).
- Repetition of "God help me I was only nineteen" utilises biblical allusion to Christianity (a major religious tradition in Australia) ---> sense of praying, pleading to God in times of grave danger. This becomes a motivic idea in the song and reaches the audience on a personal level --> possibly imbedding into the responders memory, creating a collective/cultural memory of war and its detrimental effects on humanity.
- The fact that there are multiple versions of this song (i.e. original, Hiltop Hoods etc) is testimony to its impact on Australian music which in turn demonstrates the validity and cultural significance of its content.

That's a very basic start.

Best of luck.

efitty

HSC
I am also very interested in doing this song for my 2nd piece of related material. Initially I was also having difficultly linking the song to History and Memory.

But thank you very much bored of SC, your basic notes have helped heaps. They've given me a few good ideas and just provided me with somewhere to begin.

Any more notes/tips/advice about this sing would be very much appreciated!

Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)