ciarnerose

HSC
My current modern history task is,

“How significant was the war in the air in shaping the course of the European war?”

I recognise that this question is fairly straight forward, however, I believe I'm overthinking what to include in my essay. For this part of the syllabus (the air war and its effects), we have been told we need to teach ourselves it through the means of research for our essay.

So far my introduction is:
The air war had a highly significant impact on shaping the course of the European war as the rapid development of modern aircraft introduced a new form of military operations, seen through the Battle of Britain which was the key event in preventing a German invasion of Britain, Operation Barbarossa and the Allied Bombing of Germany. However, the air war was not the only key conflict in the determination of the course of the war as seen through the significance of the Battle of Stalingrad.

From this, I am considering talking about the Battle of Britain, Operation Barbarossa and the Allied Bombing of Germany, but have no idea where to start.

Would anyone be able to provide some advice relating to structure, topic, information?

vishnay

God
HSC
My current modern history task is,

“How significant was the war in the air in shaping the course of the European war?”

I recognise that this question is fairly straight forward, however, I believe I'm overthinking what to include in my essay. For this part of the syllabus (the air war and its effects), we have been told we need to teach ourselves it through the means of research for our essay.

So far my introduction is:
The air war had a highly significant impact on shaping the course of the European war as the rapid development of modern aircraft introduced a new form of military operations, seen through the Battle of Britain which was the key event in preventing a German invasion of Britain, Operation Barbarossa and the Allied Bombing of Germany. However, the air war was not the only key conflict in the determination of the course of the war as seen through the significance of the Battle of Stalingrad.

From this, I am considering talking about the Battle of Britain, Operation Barbarossa and the Allied Bombing of Germany, but have no idea where to start.

Would anyone be able to provide some advice relating to structure, topic, information?
I'm not sure if this really helps but you claim 'The air war had a highly significant impact' and then you go on to mention that 'the air war was not the only key conflict'. I feel like when you're answering a question that relates to the significance of a certain event, you're going to want to limit the scope of your argument to the significance of that one event - obviously this is only if you have sufficient details (facts and figures) pertaining to this single event such that you can write an essay about it. This is so you can focus solely on your argument and not deviate from the actual question. It also gives teachers one less thing to criticise when they're marking your essay. Your first sentence is perfect as it answers the question immediately and alludes to the subject matter of your essay, which is what markers are usually looking for.

I personally believe you should scrap your second sentence and replace it with something else that supports your argument. For the rest of the essay you should probably detail the significance of each of the military operations on the course of the European war with evidence that backs your claims. By doing this for all the military operations, you effectively demonstrate the significance of the air war in shaping the course of the European war. I recommend three body paragraphs, one for each of the military operations, and a short conclusion to summarise your argument.

Information-wise, I don't have much to offer, but scouring JSTOR articles, Google Scholar and HSC Textbooks will probably help you learn about the topic and subsequently find high-quality evidence as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)