Historical Development-Shipwrecks (1 Viewer)

geniass

Help...I have to do an assessment task on this and I have looked at what some people have posted in the resources section of Bored but it just doesn't seem to be that much....anyone have anything else to add?

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
hmm so do we, ill start it this weekend and ill contribute whatever i'll have soon, until then im just as clueless as you are :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
geniass said:
Help...I have to do an assessment task on this and I have looked at what some people have posted in the resources section of Bored but it just doesn't seem to be that much....anyone have anything else to add?
maybe look at the material which they use on buildin ships... (if i had my beloved notes infront of me, i'd know , but here goes):

wood (atked by marine forms, easily degraded)
pb(kills aquatic lifeform, makes iron nail go rust)
cu(kills aquatic life form)
tin ( ithink, not too sure... quite expensive, that's wut i recall)
steel ( cheap, but easily corroded)

gabn

HSC
This is what i did for the assement we had. i doubt the questions are the same but yeah it's from the same dot point. i have a timeline somewhere too.
----------------------

1) Trace the historical developments in the choice of materials used in the construction of ocean going vessels, emphasizing
a. The problems encountered by using wood to build ocean going vessels
Wood ocean going vessels where the norm until the 19th Century. The problems encountered by the sailers of these early vessels is that the wood could often become waterlogged and would start rotting, other problems with these early vessels was strength and the life span of these vessels was very short.

b. The reasons for lining the hulls of wooden vessels with copper sheets.
Copper sheets where fixed to the hull of ships to prevent bio-fouling by marine life, these copper sheets helped extend the life of the ship.

c. The problems encountered when copper sheets were attached to ships hulls by iron nails
The problem encountered with the use of iron nails is that they corroded easily and caused the copper sheeting to fall off. Losing your protection and damaging the boat further

d. The use of Munz metal to replace copper sheets.
A bronze alloy Munz was found to be more flexible and easier to attach to the wooden hull, it was stronger, cheaper and corroded slower than copper.

e. The Advantages and disadvantages of iron and steel ships instead of wooden ships
Advantages Disadvantages
Stronger hullEnconomical Easier to repair Larger carry more cargo Faster Corroded rapidly Harder to repair if stranded away from workshopEarlier ships where heavier and expensive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)