historians and critics? (1 Viewer)

miffytoki

HSC
Anyone of a definition for the role of a historian and a critic?

winicat

HSC
there's stuff on it in the revise a month book. these are my definitions from it:

Art Critic: The critic could be thought of as a navigator who offers a way of reading a map about the visual arts. The objective of the critic is to clarify and assess: the qualities of an artwork, how an artist develops and produces art and, how the audience may view, understand and appreciate the artwork.

Art Historian: Map out the significance of artworks and artists in relation to their contexts: that is, the periods of time and the places in which they worked. Historians are interested in tracing how artists and artworks gain status and how audiences relate to the artworks.

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
winicat said:
there's stuff on it in the revise a month book. these are my definitions from it:

Art Critic: The critic could be thought of as a navigator who offers a way of reading a map about the visual arts. The objective of the critic is to clarify and assess: the qualities of an artwork, how an artist develops and produces art and, how the audience may view, understand and appreciate the artwork.

Art Historian: Map out the significance of artworks and artists in relation to their contexts: that is, the periods of time and the places in which they worked. Historians are interested in tracing how artists and artworks gain status and how audiences relate to the artworks.
yes and can i also add
that WE as the audience, art students, whoever else is looking at the artwork is an ART CRITIC
and art historian has back ground knowlegde of art and goes into more depth (kinda thing) from the history of art into the artworld of time the relation how audience and the artworld has made an influence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)