Hist Ext or Eng Ext? (1 Viewer)

kiwifingers

HSC
So originally I was going to drop bio and pick up ext english because it scales well (better than ext hist), it makes my subject selection look prettier and my tutor told me I should.

But then I got my half-yearlies back and I was ranked very unfavourably for english ext. I don't even remember the exact ranking, I'm sure it was quite under the top 50%. On the other hand I got ranked 6/24 (funny how i remember that and not my crappy marks...>>) for ancient and got a 95. That was literally my best mark out of all my subjects.

Thing is I know ancient scales pretty badly, but its my favourite subject. In comparison I do not like english very much. I'm not sure which ext I should choose because I'm scared that I'll fail at hist ext. It might be radically different to what I've previously done, and I've already gotten a taste of eng ext.

My ancient teacher recommends I do ext hist but I'm scared of how much faith he's putting into me that I can actually do the subject...it heightens my immense fear of failure and disappointing him.

WHAT TO DO!?

Ps. Sydney Girls, in case that helps...

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Pick what you like and enjoy - History Ext.
It can't hurt to pick it up then drop it if you do bad, keeping in mind that you need at least 10 units for the HSC.

such_such

HSC
So originally I was going to drop bio and pick up ext english because it scales well (better than ext hist), it makes my subject selection look prettier and my tutor told me I should.
LOL I get what you mean but when you're not doing very well, in the end it could turn ugly.

If both your tutor and teacher told you to pick up Ext. History then do it! Your school is very good at humanities so it scales you pretty well anyway regardless of what subject you choose (I think there are exceptions but let's keep this simple)

starshine02

HSC
Since you enjoy history more i think you should do ext for that rather than english. if you do english simply because you want your subjects to look good then you may not put as much effort into it like you would for history.

avro

HSC
Do both. If you decide you really don't like one, then drop. But history extension can be very different to Modern and Ancient. Also, the content can be so much more interesting in year 12 Extension English. For instance, if you enjoy history, then you'll probably enjoy modules like After the Bomb.

Jazar334

HSC
Thing is I know ancient scales pretty badly,
Ancient sales pretty well! Don't judge your marks of your first exam on what you should do. Nobody does what they really want to get in the first set. I think you should try both for the first month of term 4. See how you go and then drop either one. Keep your options open.

Ext English | Advanced English | Modern History | Economics | Business Studies | Studies of Religion I (Accelerated)

in year 12

Ext English 1 | Ext English 2 | Advanced English | Modern History | Economics | Business Studies | History Extension

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Ancient sales pretty well! Don't judge your marks of your first exam on what you should do. Nobody does what they really want to get in the first set. I think you should try both for the first month of term 4. See how you go and then drop either one. Keep your options open.

Ext English | Advanced English | Modern History | Economics | Business Studies | Studies of Religion I (Accelerated)

in year 12

Ext English 1 | Ext English 2 | Advanced English | Modern History | Economics | Business Studies | History Extension
No it doesn't. It scales worse than most other Science, Maths and HSIE 2 unit subjects.

Source: http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2011_HSC_Table A3.pdf

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ancient scales ok..I wouldn't say bad.

But in your situation it seems like a no brainer to keep it, you're doing well at Sydney Girls (selective( at it and your teacher is encouraging you to do His Ext speaks well of your abilities! If you're interested in His Ext, do it duh. It doesn't sound like you are keen on EE2, but you could always pick them both just to see for a couple of weeks. See I did His Ext and EE2 for a term before deciding EE2 was more for me. (I was never intending to carry 13 units through). His Ext is not unspeakably hard, like most extensions it just requires self motivated work.

So it sounds like you definitely want to drop bio, pick up His Ext and maybe EE2 in its place. And if you pick EE2 up to see, you may drop it.

And if I'm interpreting this correctly, EE2 is a totally different ballgame to both Adv Eng and Ext 1. Trust me when it feels so utterly separate from the other two! It's so chill and totally self directed.

Disregard rant about EE2 if you were just talking about keeping EE1, and change that to keep EE1 for a bit of Yr 12 to see if you want to keep it.

lisaintan

HSC
I don't think anyone should do English Extension I unless they are also doing Extension II..mainly because a large majority of people I know (and myself) who do both wish they could only do Extension II. DO NOT PICK UP EE1 if you don't enjoy English..you will regret it.

I think you should pick up Extension History - although it is entirely different to Ancient - but you will be familiar with the first part of the course which you can probably relate to prelim Ancient about bias etc etc, so you will already have a basic understanding of that. In my opinion EE1 is a lot harder than Extension History, however I enjoy English more..and I had 3 major works so I decided to drop Extension History (remember, there is a major work..kind of like an historical investigation that you did in Ancient but much more sophisticated and more focused on a controversy or debate).

CaffeineMotor

HSC
Forget what scales the best, if you know you can do well in that subject and enjoy it at the same time, ultimately you're going to do better in the long run as you'll most likely be more competent with the course subject and enjoy it better.

I'm doing Ext English and considering picking up Ext History on top of that, however from what my Modern teacher has told me about Ext His it is a lengthy course and is extremely content heavy. Best to talk to a few who do the subject and find out what it entails exactly. When teachers say do what you enjoy the most and are competent at, it really is the best way to go.

Grace_13

HSC
I was in the same dilema.

Ext History has an exam and major research task
Ext English has a major work.

I myself am doing ext 2 english because history involves allot of essay writing (which is not my strong point), i also got 95 in Ancient, however i didn't think would do as well in ext history, as i feel much more confident in creative writing.

Just do whatever you think will be best for YOU in the long run!! :)

ncoul

HSC
I've just dropped Ext Eng. last week. This year has been interesting in that i've discovered what type of student i am academically. I wasn't doing badly in Ext., just much prefer concrete application/analytic work than the interpretive side of English. I think this should be your first consideration and then you should discern results and what not. It sounds cliche, but realise what type of student you are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)