highlighting sources?? (1 Viewer)

praise897

Alcoholic
HSC
Hey, all year ive been highlighting sources and quotes as recommended by my teacher...he thinks it looks good

i got my trial back with "do not use highlighter" written all over it

so my question is...does anyone here highlight their stuff?

poodoorfan

when they say highlight i dont think they meant with a highlighter, maybe just underline it with your pen, it takes up time though expecially when theres a lot of evidence to go with a section of info

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
praise897 said:
Hey, all year ive been highlighting sources and quotes as recommended by my teacher...he thinks it looks good

i got my trial back with "do not use highlighter" written all over it

so my question is...does anyone here highlight their stuff?
Don't highlight anything.

Your teacher is wrong, end of discussion.

You don't use italics, you don't underline (unless, for some unknown reason, you use a book name).

At most, you use inverted commas ( ' ) on either sides of quotations. If you're talking about a temple or a stela, you capitalise (The Restoration Stela, The Great Temple of Karnak at Luxor) etc.

Don't use any colours or anything, that's just stupid.

poodoorfan

yes i wouldn't bother highlighting anyway, by the time you've highlighted/underlined ALL your sources in 2 essay and 2 shorts answer you coulds easily used up 10 min of decent writing time

niteshade1312

HSC
rhapsody11 said:
Don't highlight anything.

Your teacher is wrong, end of discussion.

You don't use italics, you don't underline (unless, for some unknown reason, you use a book name).

At most, you use inverted commas ( ' ) on either sides of quotations. If you're talking about a temple or a stela, you capitalise (The Restoration Stela, The Great Temple of Karnak at Luxor) etc.

Don't use any colours or anything, that's just stupid.
You'r absolutely right. Why would you actually highlight something in an exam?!

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
u cant italicise obviously in the hsc lol

just use quotation marks. if u cite a book, underline it. same as english :)
If you're typing on a computer, you can italicise...

Anyway, underlining is what you do when you can't italicise.

nightshade said:
You'r absolutely right. Why would you actually highlight something in an exam?![/quopte]

I know. It makes no sense.

poodoorfan

our teacher told us it's good to underline quotes cos it makes them stand out and easier for the marker to notice and read but i think its a time waster

praise897

Alcoholic
HSC
alright cool thanks everyone...

yeah my teacher set the ancient exam for a number of years so i was inclined to believe him (yes he actually meant use a highlighter)

i think im still going to underline historians

goodluck

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
poodoorfan said:
our teacher told us it's good to underline quotes cos it makes them stand out and easier for the marker to notice and read but i think its a time waster
omg, can't you people read?

DON'T do it in the exam. Pwar told me to tell this to you, and he's marking next year.

praise897 said:
alright cool thanks everyone...

yeah my teacher set the ancient exam for a number of years so i was inclined to believe him (yes he actually meant use a highlighter)

i think im still going to underline historians
Why?!?! Underlining is used for BOOKS and for FOREIGN WORDS. Historians are neither.

JayBMc

HSC
Every one of my teachers are HSC markers...They always bore us to death about what the HSC marker looks for. Highlighting (with a highlighter) isn't necessary, but can make your work stand out more. What I've been told, is that the highlighting can be used to mark out what parts of the Rubric you have used in your answer. So yes highlighting sources would be allowed, because the rubric usually asks us to use relevant sources. Also terminology and key concepts can be highlighted because the rubric also mentions that!

praise897

Alcoholic
HSC
whats the problem with underlining? If you didnt already know markers often skim through papers (having to read ever word of hundreds of papers would eat shit).

also, dont get all cocky, im not a noob, i get band 6- i was just asking for opinions

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
i seriously doubt underlining/highlighting is going to make the markers give u less marks. lol It makes no difference. Highlighting may take up a bit of ur time, hence why underlining might be better.

This is a little late anyway, but guys, chill, and GOOD LUCK :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)