Higher Physics 1B (1 Viewer)

Maximus

Decimus Meridius
HSC
OK, so I've enrolled (or I'm enrolling) in PV & solar energy engineering, and we have this flexible first year thingy. So anyway, it gives the choice whether to do Maths 1A or Higher Maths 1A, Maths 1B or Higher Maths 1B, Phyiscs 1A or Higher Physics 1A, howver... Higher Physics 1B is required, and I have no option of a plain Physics 1B (if that exists). Now I'm not too confident in my physics skills, so my question is, if I were to take Physics 1A, would I be able to take Higher Physics 1B in the next semester, or am I required to do Higher Physics 1A before going into 1B?

Also, what are the levels of the courses? I heard that the UTS first year physics course is like a repeat of HSC physics, is it the same for UNSW's Physics 1A? And is it the same deal for Maths 1A/B, will HSC extension 1 suffice for Higher Maths 1A/B? Which would you reccomend I take?

Thanks.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Maximus said:
if I were to take Physics 1A, would I be able to take Higher Physics 1B in the next semester, or am I required to do Higher Physics 1A before going into 1B?
In the virtual handbook higher 1A is listed as a pre requisite for higher 1B, though I'm fairly certain you can do higher 1B given you scored some minimum mark in normal 1A - maybe someone who has done the course more recently might know, or email the school of physics (or the lecturer that runs higher 1B directly) to find out.

Maximus said:
Also, what are the levels of the courses? I heard that the UTS first year physics course is like a repeat of HSC physics, is it the same for UNSW's Physics 1A? And is it the same deal for Maths 1A/B, will HSC extension 1 suffice for Higher Maths 1A/B? Which would you reccomend I take?
They are not easy, and nowhere near a repeat of the HSC. Both normal and higher physics is extremely mathematical. If you've read the other thread, one year the mid session average for higher physics 1A was 29%.

Maths is not at the HSC level either. Only do higher maths if you actually like and enjoy doing maths! 3 unit is suffice for normal math 1A and 1B.

PiGMAN

HSC
Just had a look at Higher Maths 1A, and it says you are expected to have achieved a combined mark of 186 or more / 200 in 3unit and 4unit maths. So no, 3unit won't suffice.

gman03

HSC
Forget about marks in HSC. It is irrelavent. Memorising history of physics will NOT help you in passing this subject.

You will need to know Kinematics topics from Maths, although you will find it easier if you have learn dot product and cross product which is taught in First year mathematics... (suggestion: learn vector manipulation now!)

You will share the same lectures for both Ord Phys and Higher Phys. So in the end you will be taught the same stuff. Diff between the two is that the Ord Exam might have one easier question.

If you struggle Higher Phys, you will struggle Ord Phys too.

Ext 1 will be suffices, althoguht Ext 2 covered circular motion which is a plus.
So just do Higher. and forget about hwat uai and hsc marks you get.

Higher Maths mean teaching things faster and so have room for more. It is not harder than Ord Maths. Beside what they teach is relevant to 2nd year mathematics (which engineering student will do ANYWAYz) and in terms of content it is MUCH better than what you learn in HSC <strike>Physics</strike> "PHistory".

So if you can pick up things fast - Higher maths. else Ord maths.
end

Last edited:

Tuna

HSC
N/A
How many hours of homework do you have to put in PER NIGHT if you do Physics Higher and Maths Higher?

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Tuna said:
How many hours of homework do you have to put in PER NIGHT if you do Physics Higher and Maths Higher?
0-24 hours each day, it's up to you. Just gauge it because after a week or so you'll have an idea of the pace of the subject.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Does anyone have D average throughout their studies?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
gman03 said:
Forget about marks in HSC. It is irrelavent. Memorising history of physics will NOT help you in passing this subject.
That's great, hated HSC hisics.

One question, what textbook did you guys use? Is the textbook useful, or is it pretty much useless since it's based on lecturers materials?

gman03

HSC
MAICHI said:
That's great, hated HSC hisics.

One question, what textbook did you guys use? Is the textbook useful, or is it pretty much useless since it's based on lecturers materials?
can't answer you that as textbook / lecturer changed from the time i did physics

textbook is useful if yopu read therm, and will be a waste from space if use it like me in the hs who download every single past trial papers and not use them.

advice: usually there will be several physics in the book shop. each is clearer for some topic. it is best you and your potential friends to have different textbook - cover more topic area. try to find a book which have q&a.. it will be helpful.

physics will not be based on lecture material, but not based on textbook neither. be sure to listen lecturer's comment for each topic...

gman03

HSC
yeah i do and struggle phyiscs for a year. thankx to me being stupid in this area.
Tuna said:
Does anyone have D average throughout their studies?

sunny

meh.
HSC
I'm on a D average - I did Higher Physics 1A, and never did 1B or higher 1B :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
gman03 said:
Forget about marks in HSC. It is irrelavent.
Yes! Listen to gman. He didn't get a HSC mark of 99+ for anything but now manages to get 99+ for all of his subjects.

gman03

HSC
Recall in 2003 my physics teacher set a homework on the topic:

"Discuss Einstein and Planck's differing views about whether science research is removed from social and political forces"

Everybody who was in English Ext 2 got 10/10, Ext 1 got 9.5/10, ESL got 9/10, Advanced English got 8.5/10, Standard English 8/10.

I got 0/10, since I hand my in late + it was not an acceptable piece of artwork.

awwwww remincising

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Maximus said:
OK, so I've enrolled (or I'm enrolling) in PV & solar energy engineering, and we have this flexible first year thingy. So anyway, it gives the choice whether to do Maths 1A or Higher Maths 1A, Maths 1B or Higher Maths 1B, Phyiscs 1A or Higher Physics 1A, howver... Higher Physics 1B is required, and I have no option of a plain Physics 1B (if that exists). Now I'm not too confident in my physics skills, so my question is, if I were to take Physics 1A, would I be able to take Higher Physics 1B in the next semester, or am I required to do Higher Physics 1A before going into 1B?

Thanks.
Yeah PV makes us take higher level physics both sessions. It takes work, and be prepared for marks to be low, except labs, labs are easy. That said, i think most people ended up passing both, with lab marks sort of carrying us through. It is so different to highschool physics. Its basically lots of formulas and so much maths so practice makes perfect.

With maths, unless you did really really well in 3 unit, i wouldnt recommend doing higher maths.

sasalove

HSC
If you are taking Higher Physics 1B, I suggest you take it in summer.
In the summer session, "Higher Physics 1B" = Physics 1B.

Maximus

Decimus Meridius
HSC
If this applies to anyone reading this, I've since gotten a little clarification on the matter. Both myself and Nanashi have had it confirmed that there is an exception for PV students and we are allowed to take Physics 1A the first term and then go straight to Higher Physics 1B the second term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)