High school activism YAY! (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
referring in particular to the fact that 90% of those at my school who went to the anti-war marches actually thought the US was making a profit out of it
)

They made a profit out of it, but not they way most people think.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
trina233 said:
Well...entering this heated political debate, I do agree with most of jim sim (james) who started the thread.
James is a person who has thrown himself entirely into activism at university that he should be acknowledged for his advice. If it does not interest you, dont reply. It is as easy as that. James was offering advice, for the benefit of the starved activist interested students, probably younger than 18 years old.
Personally, I well air my view, that I am tired of reading debates, where in any case a person wants to show they have more knowledge then the starter of the thread.
Then again, I don't know whether I should even say this, because this really is politics at its core.
If you are intersted in activisim within schools, take what you can from james, if you are not MOVE ON, and stop wasting your life criticsing somebodies view.

I agree with you james, if these people replying are interested themselves in activism, how much time are they spending being 'ACTIVE'? In the time you've had to type and reply aggressively to this message.. you could easily be particapating in changing the way our country is goverened.
The benefits of engaging in debate are obvious.

Only an intellectually moldy automaton would find meaningful discussion a bad thing.

trina233

oh..hahaha
HSC
response to negetivity

Not-That-Bright said:
That's a nice attack on critical thought, good one trina.
Do you think that participating in a debate on an internet forum is somehow less 'active' than walking in a rally ?
Why, yes of course.
The unfortuate thing about the internet is the unactiveness involved. In the sense that you are a functioning human being, not a mechanical drone behind a computer. IN comparing 'activeness' between sitting behind a computer, and walking in a march, surely your physical prescence outways your typed response.

But then, it is your free will, if you prefer to the instantaneous gratification of technology, over old fashioned rallying so be it.

I, the so called "intellectually molded automaten" am not going to say anymore.
Good luck with your HSC everyone.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
trina233 said:
I, the so called "intellectually molded automaten" am not going to say anymore.
Actually I said "moldy", as in unattended; decomposing.

Of course, any connotations to do with "fungus" might also be appropriate.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The beauty about the internet is that it allows for free discussion with prejudices often marginalised. Example; We are all kids, none of us probably look qualified to talk about politics, yet on here we can express our views and they are taken for what they are.

Personally I don't think myself marching is being more active than participating in a debate. What is the point of marching if you've yet to being to grasp what you're marching for? You are a marching drone while the "machines" behind their computers debate the merits of your march.

Last edited:

trina233

oh..hahaha
HSC
A reply I couldn't resist

'Not That Bright';
Personally I don't think myself marching is being more active than participating in a debate. What is the point of marching if you've yet to being to grasp what you're marching for? You are a marching drone while the "machines" behind their computers debate the merits of your march.[/QUOTE]

Point taken on the internet comment 'Not That Bright.' But everything has its faults, despite its merits. In relation to the 'marching drones', what james was stating in his first messsage was involving younger students in KNOWING what activism is about. Of course it is nonsense marching and not knowing what for. If you haven't 'grasped what your marching for', then you are aimless, and even I will question what that 'marching drone' is doing marching. If you are actively marching with knowledge of what you are marching about, then you are avoiding this drone position. I believe the people typing these respones have some knowledge of activism, yet are positioning themselve in a commmentary role, not the best for rallying. So if you dointend on getting involved in activism, do so, but physically. Because Governments will always acknowledge a crowd of hundreds, rather then an email of hundreds. .

Heres a good quote;
"I think we too often make choices based on the safety of cynicism, and what we're lead to is a life not fully lived. Cynicism is fear, and it's worse than fear - it's active disengagement."
Ken Burns

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
trina233 said:
If you are actively marching with knowledge of what you are marching about, then you are avoiding this drone position. I believe the people typing these respones have some knowledge of activism, yet are positioning themselve in a commmentary role, not the best for rallying. So if you dointend on getting involved in activism, do so, but physically. Because Governments will always acknowledge a crowd of hundreds, rather then an email of hundreds. .
The problem is that within that crowd there is no debate taking place. There is only two possible camps for a protest or a rally.

For and Against. There is no middle ground marchers, there are no "we like this, this and this but want more information on this" marchers. A protest doesn't lend itself towards discussion as opposed to other mediums (not advocating email due to the impersonal nature, written word is almost always better).

walrusbear

HSC
Xayma said:
The problem is that within that crowd there is no debate taking place. There is only two possible camps for a protest or a rally.

For and Against. There is no middle ground marchers, there are no "we like this, this and this but want more information on this" marchers. A protest doesn't lend itself towards discussion as opposed to other mediums (not advocating email due to the impersonal nature, written word is almost always better).
i'd say that protests are designed to alert people of dissent with a current issue - not in itself a negotiation
i'd have thought protests were a precursor to discussion

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
walrusbear said:
i'd say that protests are designed to alert people of dissent with a current issue - not in itself a negotiation
i'd have thought protests were a precursor to discussion
For many situations they aren't. VSU protests aren't to open the discussion channels for instance. They simply want no VSU.

walrusbear

HSC
Xayma said:
For many situations they aren't. VSU protests aren't to open the discussion channels for instance. They simply want no VSU.
that polar instance is also propagated by the government, who initially has refused to discuss.

however, the point i was raising earlier was that the discussion and the protest are removed elements. the anti-VSU protests are opposition to VSU, and should people want to discuss alternatives it is done when the other side responds.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
We responded. Our cries were met with violence and hostility.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
We responded. Our cries were met with violence and hostility.
if you're referring to the young liberals involvement at one of the VSU marches then it is irrelevant

in most reports i've read Nelson has refused to meet student opposition

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The problem with protests is that it is one voice.
but a protest is not a discussion
a protest is usually an affected or marginalised group attempting to create awareness and enter discussion

the problem with protests is that they're now stigmatised in contemporary society

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well these days, with mass media, and the availability for ourselves to create our own media... I think the protest is a little less attractive. What about all the people posting disenting opinion on popular blogs? What about the chaser guys that have been able to make popular film to voice their opinion?

I do agree perhaps one of the reasons they are now less popular is their stigma, but I think another important aspect is their lack of direct personal communication that can be fulfilled by other means.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)