High rank = immunity? (1 Viewer)

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Hi bos,

I did a pretty thorough search of the forums but wasn’t able to come to a conclusive answer to this question: Does my high rank in a high performing cohort grant me some immunity from a bad HSC mark?

I have read ragerunner’s “Explanation of HSC Moderating” and various other threads related to how ones rank affects will affect the HSC mark you’re given. It was a helpful guide, but despite his efforts, my understanding of what happens when a high ranked student performs poorly, despite his similarly high ranked students doing well, is still a little hazy.

High rank = immunity?

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

heshiyun

HSC
I think I remember reading on here once that it does, and that the ranking system is set up to help those who have been working consistently hard all year (i.e. the to ranked student) get over the line with the best possible HSC mark relative to their ability.

From what I understand, it’s meant to reward consistently high achievers, and deter those people who were lazy during the year (and consequently ended up with a bad rank) from thinking that they can pull their thumb out of their ass at the last minute and blitz the externals.

So conversely, those students who have a bad rank at a low ranked school...have absolutely no hope of attain a high HSC mark...

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
damn stupid people SCHOOL RANK IS DONE AT THE END OF EVERY HSC YEAR IT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING BUT SHOW HOW THAT YEARS COHORT WENT AND DOES NOT EFFECT THE NEXT YEARS COHORT IN ANYWAY STOP MENTIONING IT

also i am pretty sure low rank people if they score high recieve average between external mark and the internal

probably be better if u did an example with say top 10 ranked students with say rank 9 getting highest mark and rank1 getting lowest

frontman

HSC
It does not mean immunity. You'll get the HSC mark you got in the exam. But high rank will guarantee you get your school's highest marks for your internal marks.
Your overall mark is an average of the two.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
obimoshman1234 said:
damn stupid people SCHOOL RANK IS DONE AT THE END OF EVERY HSC YEAR IT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING BUT SHOW HOW THAT YEARS COHORT WENT AND DOES NOT EFFECT THE NEXT YEARS COHORT IN ANYWAY STOP MENTIONING
It’s actually important to mention the strength of the cohort in attempting to answer my specific question.

For at a higher ranked school, the results achieved by the top ranked students would be pretty close. The further down the ranking order you go –theoretically- the larger the between the students respective internal ranks (or at least the potential for that gap to exist increases exponentially the further down the ladder you go; high ranked school = next to no chance of a large gap to exist between the students, low ranked school = high chance of that gap existing).

I.e. the top three ranked students at St George Girls –a high ranked school- would be within a few marks of each other, whilst there might be a 5,6,7+ mark difference between the final assessment marks of the top three ranked students at a low ranked school.

With this example, I hope I’ve effectively illustrated the importance of a school ranks, and demonstrated to you how relevant knowing the strength of my cohort is, in trying to answer my question :)

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
frontman said:
It does not mean immunity. You'll get the HSC mark you got in the exam. But high rank will guarantee you get your school's highest marks for your internal marks.
Your overall mark is an average of the two.
Awesome, your reply really cleared things up. I think.

So does what you have just said mean that the people below me cannot get a final HSC mark higher than mine?

(If so, then i'm starting to understand how the highest ranked students marks are 'pulled up' whilst the lowest ranked students marks can be 'pulled down').

Danta232

HSC
always.dreaming said:

So does what you have just said mean that the people below me cannot get a final HSC mark higher than mine?

not at all.. if your internal mark is 70, and your external is 70, you will get a mark of 70

if someone elses is 60, and their external is 85, than they will get a mark of 72.5

in theory

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
always.dreaming said:

(If so, then i'm starting to understand how the highest ranked students marks are 'pulled up' whilst the lowest ranked students marks can be 'pulled down').
No - if you do a bad exam and they do good ones then they can get a better mark than you.

You keep your own external mark.

Your internal marks are moderated.

e.g.

A - internal 97 - external 99
B - internal 96 - external 65
C - internal 95 - external 95
D - internal 94 - external 94
E - internal 80 - external 82
F - internal 74 - external 82
G - internal 72 - external 80
H - internal 70 - external 95

Student B getting a lower HSC mark than any of Students C or D due to their very poor exam mark of 65. Their second rank and only one mark gap want protect them from their poor exam mark costing them. They will still have a very good moderated internal mark - probably 98 or 97 due to the closeness between A and B. 98 + 65 = 82 as the final mark which would be below a number of other students and only just above H who has pulled out an exceptional exam mark.

Student H won't be too pleased with that 65 either as their internal mark would drop from 70 to 65 and they will end up with 65 + 95 = 80 as a final mark.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Thought it would be pretty obvious that if you get a shit exam mark, then your final mark, as a result, will be worse. Its true, however, that in a sense you are immune to other people doing bad (as long as you do good), but definitely not to you yourself bombing out in the exam.

Last edited:

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
gets moderated twice

once by bos for ur hsc mark

and once by uac to help with rankings and stuff both slightly different systems as well i think

and OMG ty for clearing all this up makes everything so much clearer and makes me very happy for some subjects where my rank isnt the greatest

hamzie

HSC
So whats high rank

say........ top 5 out of 30 people :p for physics bio
top 6 in chem out of 28 people ?

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
That just means that for physics and bio you will get the average of your exam mark and the 5th highest exam mark from your cohort. and for chem you will get the average of your exam mark and the 6th highest exam mark from your cohort.

That's my understanding anyway.

obiman

HSC
yeah thats what i have been hearing to that ur hsc mark is made from doing this

do test. Then use marks from test and moderate the assessment marks with these according to rank so rank 1 person in assessmesnt will get top raw hsc mark as there new assessment mark however still have their test mark. Then average the moderated assessment with ur raw hsc mark to get ur final hsc mark

think thats right lol

scora

HSC
no point wasting your time thinking about this, the more you think about it: the more stressed you'll probably end up being. Just focus on doing well in your final exams and forget about the moderating and stuff.

NickyFM

HSC
This is how my school explained it to us
The school submits your marks and rankings to the board of studies, and after the external, the bos realline your internal marks:
EG if your school is a highly ranked school and submits the top mark as 75 and the bottom as 65, but because they mark harshly and the school ends up getting between 85 and 95 externally, then the bos will scale up internal marks to fit between the brackets.
So if you're ranked first, and the highest external mark is 95, you'll end up getting 95 as your internal mark instead of 75.
Rankings only effect your internal mark, if you get 70 internally and get 100 externally but you're ranked last, you'll still do pretty damn well
It's just so that it is fair for the higher ranked schools who mark really harshly or the lower schools who mark really easily

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)