High ATAR = obsessive parents, selective schools, tutoring (1 Viewer)

gleninnes

HSC
"High ATAR = obsessive parents, selective schools, tutoring, illegal teaching practices
No way related to intelligence"
Discuss.

Heard one of my friends talk like this the other day. I honestly don't know what to think, hoping to get a perspective on it from some ppl in highly ranked schools.

bayan92

HSC
Heard one of my friends talk like this the other day. I honestly don't know what to think, hoping to get a perspective on it from some ppl in highly ranked schools.
I have nothing to comment on as of yet but everyone should see that OP neither agrees nor disagrees with statement. So don't attack him! ;)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I have nothing to comment on as of yet but everyone should see that OP neither agrees nor disagrees with statement. So don't attack him! ;)
LOL.

I disagree. I know people who have no or little tutoring and relaxed parents but are still looking at an ATAR of 99+ because they are intelligent ^^

georgia-ellen

HSC
I both agree and diagree.
You have to have a certain level of intelligence to get the really high ranks
That being said, the additional extras obviously help. I also think that the board of studies testing is ridiculous. They test how quickly you can write. But then again, it'd be difficult to regulate some type of testing method throughout the state.

HSC
Hmmmm well I think you do need to be intelligent to get a high atar but I dont think its related to tutoring, selective schools or obsessive parents.
The girl who is predicted to get dux at our school did not get any tutoring, did not attend a selective school and doesn't really have obsessive parents so yeah..:)

LordPc

HSC
your friend is at best an ignorant human being.

you cant apply an exact formula to the hsc, its not a science

"High ATAR = obsessive parents, selective schools, tutoring, illegal teaching practices"

for one, id say relaxed parents gets you a better ATAR. intrinsic motivation is greater than extrinsic motivation (i believe science supports this one)

selective schools, it would help, but by no means does that equate to a high ATAR

tutoring, the lazy-mans method of studying. (see that other tutoring thread)

illegal teaching practices, i dont know what this means, but based on the last few points, im sure i can find an argument against it. for example, if a teacher used the whip, it would be illegal, but certainly wouldnt guarantee a high atar.

you could also make a case in this way

"High ATAR = obsessive parents, selective schools, tutoring, illegal teaching practices"
is similar to saying
"relaxed parents, public schools, no tutoring, legal teaching practices = low ATAR"
and i think it is clear to see that the second equation is far from true

you could also disprove the argument by finding one person who had everything on the right hand side (obsessive parents, selective schools, tutoring, illegal teaching practices) but got a low atar, and im sure there have been a few of those

just so many ways to disprove

K

khorne

Disagree...sort of...

A better discussion would be the fact that the HSC doesn't encourage learning outside the syllabus or extending knowledge, rather, it discourages this, while encouraging repition and "getting a good ATAR".

adriano_negr0

HSC
Trust me going to a selective school doesnt help at all I dnt think. I go to Merewether High and we have some absolute shithouse teachers who's life aim is piss u off. Obviously u piss them off back and this further hinders your performance thus disproving the equation

Monsterman

HSC
You dont have to be smart to get a high atar. You just need a good memory and you'll still pass with flying colours even if you have a serious lack of understanding

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I had semi-obsessive parents, and I went to a selective school, and I went tutoring.
But I'm not getting a high ATAR.
Hence, I just disproved you.

HSC
my friend went to penrith high and he ended up with a UAI of 78.something LOL

imo i don't think it makes much of a difference. But then again it depends on the person xD

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
"High ATAR = obsessive parents, selective schools, tutoring, illegal teaching practices
No way related to intelligence"

that is utter garbage.

my friend came first in all her subjects. she goes to my school (ranked 409th last year), has never had tutoring/illegal teaching practices, and her parents are not obsessive at all- never forced her to study. she wasnt a study freak either- she just studied an average amount. yet her ATAR will probably be 95+ and im quite sure she will be dux

i think their family is heaps naturally smart though. her sister was dux when she was in year 12, now shes doing law and smashing it... she got some university award for coming first in her course or something... and she doesnt study ridiculously either!

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Without sounding too up myself, I think I'm on the road to getting quite a good ATAR.
I never received tutoring. I went to a public, co-ed school. My parents are not obsessive.

To be honest, I feel the dynamic between my parents and I was perfect for the HSC. They didn't pressure me in any way at all. They trusted I'd get the work done, and I did, you know? I barely ever told them how school was going unless I was getting an award or something. They'd be proud in those circumstances, of course :p

Tutoring and going to a selective school may have helped me go from a 96-98 to a 99+, but you need the motivation and determination to apply yourself no matter what is going on around you. Without it, none of the things the OP mentioned would necessarily help. That's my opinion though.

There will always be outliers though. Haha.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
You just need a good memory and you'll still pass with flying colours even if you have a serious lack of understanding

this.

my friend said that her sister has a "freakish memory"
maybe thats why shes coming first in law

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I don't have obssesive parents, don't engage in any illegal practices, tutoring etc. I go to a selective school, but that's my choice rather than anyone elses. I just sat the selective test and got in. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get 98+ barring a major catastrophe (not being arrogant, just realistic). It's got a lot to do with natural intelligence.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What do you mean by illegal teaching practises?:uhoh:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
What do you mean by illegal teaching practises?:uhoh:
Whipped, smacked by a ruler, slapped etc.

With the high ATAR business, I believe in everything LordPC said. It's really your own 'intrinsic' motivation rather than attending a selective high school. Check out cherrybrook tech, there were a couple of 100 UAI's in the past few years which shit selective schools cannot achieve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)