• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hidden Discrimination in hiring employees (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
hi there...

i would just like to shed some light to the hidden demographical discrimination during the applicant searching process for a certain company located in the CBD of sydney..

i have a friend, who works for a company which im not gonna name.

The company had an Accountant position vacant.

He told me that the first thing they do is look at the names of the applicants..
Now if they were not from a certain background or from a certain background, they just throw them out and disregard them.

Then the next thing they do is look at the suburbs the applicants live in. If you lived in suburbs that were labeled as cheap or crime hotspots.. then they also throw your resume out..

and after that process, is when they start to look at experience and qualifications from the remaining resumes.

its dissapointing to see people doing that, however its a reality many people often do not discuss..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'd assume most of my employers see my resume and think I have an accent or I can't speak english very well because of my asian last name.

That's why I prefer to call them first and make sure they remember me, which I would say works so far.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to work with a company that holds such discrimination. It's pretty shit, but there's really nothing you can do. Not all companies do that. I was once a receptionist in a company and I was told to throw out all resumes that did not have cover letters or were poorly written. I also had to throw away ones that resided too far away.

I'm not sure about suburbs. I can see how they could feel uneasy with a resume from Macquarie Fields during its media peak for example, but as for suburb discrimination, most employers disregard ones that are just too far away, thinking that you won't stay with the company because it is so distant.

But back to your point, such is life. There's not much you can do.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I'd assume most of my employers see my resume and think I have an accent or I can't speak english very well because of my asian last name.

That's why I prefer to call them first and make sure they remember me, which I would say works so far.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to work with a company that holds such discrimination. It's pretty shit, but there's really nothing you can do. Not all companies do that. I was once a receptionist in a company and I was told to throw out all resumes that did not have cover letters or were poorly written. I also had to throw away ones that resided too far away.

I'm not sure about suburbs. I can see how they could feel uneasy with a resume from Macquarie Fields during its media peak for example, but as for suburb discrimination, most employers disregard ones that are just too far away, thinking that you won't stay with the company because it is so distant.

But back to your point, such is life. There's not much you can do.
There is one thing you can do, that is pistol whip those rascist bastards to death, yeah I said pistol whip!!

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
it happens on both ends of the spectrum. how many white girls/guys have you seen working at oporto?

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Things I have notices;

People working at sushi trains or chinese food places are usually of that culture, the former being japanese and the latter being chinese. Lebanese people in time zone... There is always discrimination and no matter how many pistol whippings are made, it ain't gonna change unless of course someone can make a pistol so big, it could whip them all... but who could wield such a pistol, not me....

*Minka*

HSC
There have been incidents where I have felt like I have been discriminated against for my Slavic name. There have also been a lot of callbacks where I have been spoken to as if I was a very slow child and I have to point out that I can speak English very well and would not have gotten a 95+ UAI at an Australian School if I could not. I have taken resumes into my place to be told I have a very '....interesting' name and they ask where I come from. When I say Croatia, I get this look that just seems to say 'Oh, so you are going to plant landmines throughout the place, shoot everyone from a different ethnic background than you. Um....no'. It is like there are employers out there that simply do not want to know me once they hear I have a slight accent and am of Croatian/Serbian ancestry. It is frustrating, and hurtful, but there is nothing I can really do about it and I just have to try not to let it hurt me.

When you are Slavic, it is pretty real because people judge and make generalisations about you based on what they saw on TV screens in the earlier 1990s and what they have seen in their historybooks that are not very pretty. It relaly is hard - I am not an Utasha, I am not a murderer, I don't hate Srbi, Makedonci, Albanci, Bosanci or Crnogorci - I'd hate friends and members of my own familie if I did.

I am an Australian, and a normal person and sadly, a some people don't see that. Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
*Minka* said:
There have been incidents where I have felt like I have been discriminated against for my Slavic name. There have also been a lot of callbacks where I have been spoken to as if I was a very slow child and I have to point out that I can speak English very well and would not have gotten a 95+ UAI at an Australian School if I could not. I have taken resumes into my place to be told I have a very '....interesting' name and they ask where I come from. When I say Croatia, I get this look that just seems to say 'Oh, so you are going to plant landmines throughout the place, shoot everyone from a different ethnic background than you. Um....no'. It is like there are employers out there that simply do not want to know me once they hear I have a slight accent and am of Croatian/Serbian ancestry. It is frustrating, and hurtful, but there is nothing I can really do about it and I just have to try not to let it hurt me.

When you are Slavic, it is pretty real because people judge and make generalisations about you based on what they saw on TV screens in the earlier 1990s and what they have seen in their historybooks that are not very pretty. It relaly is hard - I am not an Utasha, I am not a murderer, I don't hate Srbi, Makedonci, Albanci, Bosanci or Crnogorci - I'd hate friends and members of my own familie if I did.

I am an Australian, and a normal person and sadly, a some people don't see that. Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant.
Oh no, you see my pistol whipping rant. Its frustrating to have discrimination, especially peoples rascism towards asian people. I hope they get murdered by the culture they pay out, and if they are female I hope they are forced to have a baby because the person of that race/culture rapes them.

H

housemouse

katietheskatie said:
haha everyone working at the oporto closest to me is white :confused:
The oporto at auburn has not a single white person working in there

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
housemouse said:
pretty much the same with every oporto.

THEY MUST HATE WHITEYS >:/

lexie85

HSC
housemouse said:
thats because its family franchise with many cousins etc etc working there (ok i am slightly assuming but i think its true)

so just recently i took my address of the resumes i email to people, cause its a bit creepy that im sending out my address to random strangers....
does that look bad to an empolyer ?

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
lexie85 said:
thats because its family franchise with many cousins etc etc working there (ok i am slightly assuming but i think its true)

so just recently i took my address of the resumes i email to people, cause its a bit creepy that im sending out my address to random strangers....
does that look bad to an empolyer ?
Yes.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
housemouse said:
Umm maybe that's because few white people live in Auburn.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
WouldbeDoctor said:
So naive.
Is there some secret white population in Auburn that I don't know about?

Because I'd expect a chain restaurant there to have few/no white people, same as a chain in Cabramatta or Bankstown.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
scarybunny said:
Is there some secret white population in Auburn that I don't know about?

Because I'd expect a chain restaurant there to have few/no white people, same as a chain in Cabramatta or Bankstown.
You're probably right, but you are avoiding the issue at hand... there is clearly rascial discrimination in the work force.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
WouldbeDoctor said:
You're probably right, but you are avoiding the issue at hand... there is clearly rascial discrimination in the work force.
nah, you reckon? :rolleyes:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I notice asian shops are a lot more 'racist' when picking their employees. I've never (epically rarely) seen a white person working in their shops let alone a black person.

It's probably the reckoning that a worker of the same background will go along a lot better. This can be hypothetically true in say, a white chick trying to get a job in a kebab store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)