Hi - Bonnus UAI question (1 Viewer)

michaelread

HSC
Hey, I found out early last week that my mother (with a history of breast cancer, but is now since healthy as it was 10 years ago) has ovarian cancer. It has been pretty hectic at home and I haven't been able to work really, as my dad works 6 to 6 as a builder about an hour away, I have had to drive mum to all her appointments and wait with her.

I believe I am more than qualified for the extra points, as I haven't been able to do anything other than an hour a night, or read while im in the hospital waiting room for the last two weeks.

How do I go about applying/inquiring for the bonus UAI thing? I had a whole two weeks of study planned out, got off work, put an extra desk in my room just for prac tests, but I'm unable to really get any work done as a result of being away and just worrying so much that I am so un motivated to even care about HSC at this point...

Where do I go to apply?

Thanks in advance guys.

mathslover

HSC
yeah defs fill out EAS. print out the form and take it to school--ur careers advisor or someone will help you fill it out.. or fill it out urself if u like.

u should defs get some bonus pts for ths.
iim very sorry to hear about ur mum, hang in there :)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
sorry to hear about your mum, hope she pulls through.

and definitely fill in a form.

adriana08

HSC
yeah fill out an eas form - although the deadline has passed..i'm sure you'll get special consideration.
very sorry about your mum..stay strong :) i hope everything turns out ok

michaelread

HSC
thanks for the overwhelming support guys, it helps.

it says late applications are available until the 28th of November, so I will give it a shot.

I might go in to my school tomorrow and see what they can do.

cxlxoxk

HSC
michaelread said:
I believe I am more than qualified for the extra points, as I haven't been able to do anything other than an hour a night, or read while im in the hospital waiting room for the last two weeks.
I don't think EAS will count sorry :S...the disadvantage must have taken its course over a prolonged time, eg. the entire year or even more than 1 year...not just the last 2 weeks.

ps. official year 12 classes ended more than 2 weeks ago, you've been on StuVac...

i quote HO1B of EAS Booklet

The duration of the illness/disability and the school years involved
ps. u can still try =), and by all means do so!

adriana08

HSC
well...if that doesn't work you can fill out an illness/misadventure form to the board of studies..you can get it from your school..and i'm SURE that will count :) and besides you have until the 13th of November for the deadline
good luck :)

michaelread

HSC
I've decided to stick it out and put it behind me and work hard etc. It says late applications are available through to the end of November, so if worst case scenario happens and I absolutely have no time during the HSC to do anything but the tests themselves, I will consider it.

I don't want to use it as a cop out to not study/work hard with the time I have left.

I think I will pop in to the school and prepare the application after the first english exam, but tell my careers adviser that I don't want to send it in until the end of the HSC, if I need to.

But thank you a lot for the help, its been a rough week, but I will call it character building, and move on for now.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

cxlxoxk

HSC
Good on you for doing something proactive instead of reactive!

ie. rather than just rely on bonus points, you're trying to move on, and study, which will in turn help your UAI.

I hope you do well!

cxlxoxk

HSC
its not too late, theres no guarantee for main round offers now, but late round is still up.

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
you should do it anyway
you never know
but go and talk to ur teachers

goodluck with everything

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Sorry, you won't qualify for EAS, as you have experienced the disadvantage long enough. (sorry, I'm not trying to belittle what you been though here at all) but as everyone said,you should qualify for a misadventure.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
hey man
hope it all works out for you.

good luck with everything.

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Also, a misadventure would probably be better than EAS. EAS doesn't raise your uai higher or lower, you can just get in with a lower mark. But I'm pretty sure (feel free to correct me) that a misadventure can alter your actual HSC mark (or take your school assessment) which would look better on a CV.

that being said, I'm really not sure how a misadventure works

adriana08

HSC
yep..from what i've heard misadventure goes with each of your exams and then gets taken into consideration by the bos when being marked..therefore altering your mark and in turn your overall moderated hsc mark. correct me if i'm wrong??!

Ben73

HSC
My unlce died like few days ago, his funeral is on Friday the day of first Eng exam 2 hours away in sydney, Can I get one of these bonus things and also postpone my first exam for a few days?

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
It depends how close you were to your uncle I think.You can't postpone the exams either. Unless you want to sit it next year

maries

HSC
hey man
my dad passes away a few weeks before my sisters HSC and she ended up getting 97.2. U can do well. A whole years worth of work won't go down the drain because of these 2 weeks. U will be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)