HEY EXTENSION COMRADES conventions/definition of Genre! (1 Viewer)

mcstraw

hey,
i was reading the markers comments for the 2001 paper...when i read (and i quote) "responses given at worst a list of conventions without much thought about how they defined the genre"
now i thought to myself...'but isnt a Genre defined by its conventions?'...im a little confused about what they are looking for.
Clarity anyone?
Or
How do you define crime fiction?
thanks
matt.

Jezzabelle

maybe they didnt examine how crime fiction had style and content features that were characteristic of it, and explained how their texts had examples of these... but instead just identified the conventions?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Need to mention subversion and extensions too.

I think the other point is DON'T LIST, explain. A comma seperated setence will not do ...

tennille

HSC
If you just list the conventions and dont give detail, then clearly that's not adequate. I think that is what they mean. For example, for crime fiction, a detective who drinks, smokes and street smart is typical of the hardboiled detective, and therefore links to the more modern hardboiled genre...etc. (put that in more detail- that's just an example of what they probably want).

mcstraw

yeah, i was guessing. It just seemed to me, in the whole context of what they were saying, that they were looking for a more personal approach. i spose there is truth in that as well. thanks for your insight.

~*~Karina~*~

Hey Straw! Yeah I was actually wondering a similar thing...so I guess we don't list, and go into a lot more detail...

mcstraw

hey its Karina...yeah a bit confusing huh. i hope they ask somthing about the "fulidity"of the genre cause thats easy or to do with context...i think thats just about all they can ask hey,
all the best with study, when do you finish"?

~*~Karina~*~

I finish on the 10th...4 more exams to go. But yeah, it gets confusing with the millions of notes Ms Donohoe gave us...information overload. Good luck...see ya friday

Candypants

They were referring to the style in which they did it, not a problem with the content... listing shows you don't understand it, but have simply memorised it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)