hey 05 ers'... what are u all up to in ur poetry major works? (1 Viewer)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
so.. have u done what u planned on doing for poetry in the holiday?...

has anyone perormed a word count of their poems?...

What are your thought on EE2 at the moment?...

Do u all agree with me.. that poetry.. is so fine... as fine as the red rose... rambling through the harsh and sober winter season....

well at the moment i'm loving peotry... and research is well underway.. i hope we see each other getting through the year.. with all our works publushed in the showcase... (although its not possible that we're all in the showcase.. but lets at least hope that we achieve marks no less than 48/50...)

phatic

HSC
I haven't done nearly enough... I haven't even clarified my final concept yet, all I've got is a few ideas about the setting... I'm hoping to do something similar to Eliot's The Waste Land.

It's annoying how they want everything to progress nice and sensibly, like you have to have it all worked out before you begin... My proposal is going to be a mess. :D

physician

HSC
phatic said:
I haven't done nearly enough... I haven't even clarified my final concept yet, all I've got is a few ideas about the setting... I'm hoping to do something similar to Eliot's The Waste Land.

It's annoying how they want everything to progress nice and sensibly, like you have to have it all worked out before you begin... My proposal is going to be a mess. :D
yeh i thought mine was going to be a mess.. until i spoke to past studnets.. they know who they are..*our little secret*...

in these holidays alone.. my concept chnaged over 5 times.. and i even considered changing my whole medium.. from poetry to speech as u may have noticed if u read the speeches forum...

but i doubt u should worry.....

just keep working...

the best advice i recieved from past studnets was
"write about something u enjoy".. that way u'll be able to actually enjoy doing resreach.. i mean its true.. u'll learn and at the same time have fun...

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i probably have not done as much as i should have either, although i guess i am fortunate that my concept has remained unchanged since the beginning. it was kind of a natural progression because i had been inspired to write through music before we commenced the HSC course, so i've been refining my expression since then. i have looked into the technical elements of poetry, but other than that my plans are to read books of musicians and read interviews and articles and things, ive finished reading the cobain journals again, and i want to get 'white fluffy clouds' from Incubus singer Brandon Boyd.
i havent done a word count for my work just yet, is the limit around 5 000 for the entire work and reflection statement? im not sure how many works i have at this time, but it may be reaching around 60

physician

HSC
thats good,.. 60, do u mean first draft poems?
and by the way i think the word limit is 3000, including the refelction statement,
i'm not really sure
i need to ask a freind on this, unless someone happens to know and decides to drop by and tell us.

however i'm sure that our reflection statement and major work, are all under one word limit, unlike a short story which i think is 5000 words without the reflection statement..

so yeh..
but good job, it seems that u've done a good amount, even if u havnt done as much as u planned, at least u've done something...

good luck.. with ur progress guys

wildfire_chic

HSC
N/A
The word limit is 5000 including your reflection statement, but your reflection statement is supposed to be between 1000-1500, so your actual work should be around 3500-4000 words.

With that out of the way, my work is kind of weird. I'm doing a collection of poems focusing on certain individuals and society's perception of them and their individual self-perception. It's cool, because I'm doing a lot of psychology research for it, but I'm majorly stuffed at the moment, because out of the five people I planned to study, only 2 said yes, which means I have to find another three people to study.......ack!!

Our class have already handed in our proposal, but I only got band 3 - my research section wasn't specific enough with the resources I intended to use :(

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
wildfire_chic said:
The word limit is 5000 including your reflection statement, but your reflection statement is supposed to be between 1000-1500, so your actual work should be around 3500-4000 words.

With that out of the way, my work is kind of weird. I'm doing a collection of poems focusing on certain individuals and society's perception of them and their individual self-perception. It's cool, because I'm doing a lot of psychology research for it, but I'm majorly stuffed at the moment, because out of the five people I planned to study, only 2 said yes, which means I have to find another three people to study.......ack!!

Our class have already handed in our proposal, but I only got band 3 - my research section wasn't specific enough with the resources I intended to use :(
Remember to stay away from the five A's (unless you're very confident in your writing abilities):

- abortion
- angst
- abuse
- anorexia
- alcoholism

physician

HSC
Lhyviathan said:
Remember to stay away from the five A's (unless you're very confident in your writing abilities):

- abortion
- angst
- abuse
- anorexia
- alcoholism
are those the five that the markers would probably be biased against.. due to the fact that each has their own personal opinion on each one...?

Last edited:

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I think its more that they're incredibly overdone and more often than not theyre done terribly badly so its much better to steer clear of them unless you're sure you can do them without sounding tacky/self indulgent/angsty/just plain bad

physician

HSC
super katie said:
I think its more that they're incredibly overdone and more often than not theyre done terribly badly so its much better to steer clear of them unless you're sure you can do them without sounding tacky/self indulgent/angsty/just plain bad
oh ok.. thanks for that.. its good im not doing any of those... plus i doubt those issues could be covered in one major work.. i mean u would need like a lfetime of research to see the views of both sides like on abortion for instance...

although u could sidestep having a biased opinion and somehow convince the markers that ur work is unique.. like for example (once again on the issue of abortion).. u could convinve the markers that somehow both sides are right.. i dont know.. i guess it is gonna end up being biased and overworked in the end

HSC
Lhyviathan said:

- abortion
- angst
- abuse
- anorexia
- alcoholism
Don't stay away from anything, unless you write in cliches... in that case, stay away from everything...

get_born

So where is everyone now with their EE2?

its been about 4 months since the last post.

Does anyone have any idea of how much we should have done by now roughly for EE2?

well right now I'm stuck... i said i was going to sit down and write like there's no tomorrow during the easter holidays, but i guess the holidays got the best of me...did that happen to anybody else? Well anyways here i am sitting trying to think, and im planning not to move out of my seat till something comes to mind...(but i'll have to see how far that takes me)

physician

HSC
last_chance said:
its been about 4 months since the last post.

Does anyone have any idea of how much we should have done by now roughly for EE2?

well right now I'm stuck... i said i was going to sit down and write like there's no tomorrow during the easter holidays, but i guess the holidays got the best of me...did that happen to anybody else? Well anyways here i am sitting trying to think, and im planning not to move out of my seat till something comes to mind...(but i'll have to see how far that takes me)

well good luck with ur thinking

i remember Kypheneight saying that her teacher told them if they hadn't completed a first draft by then end of the holiday.. then they should DROP the course...

I was freaking out when i heard that... but for poetry it's reallly difficult to do complete drafts.. it's much easier to draft and re-draft each poem at a time... but i think u should have at least 1000 words that have been drafted and re-drafted allready if ur working like me... or if ur planning on drafting ur whole major work and then re-drafting when complete... then i think u should have a whole 1st draft done.. if not at least half a 1st draft...

but then again... it doesn't take really long to write poems... as long as u know what u wanna write about and have it all planned out... then i think u needn't worry...

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
yeah, it very much depends on how you write poetry aswell, whether it's vert meticulous or whether you write poems very quickly. i've been lucky enough to be able to write poems really quickly, so it's helped in keeping everything fluid

get_born

nah im doing a narrative poem and i know when i get into it ill do really well...*she says as she rolls her eyes* but the thing is ive had like three different ways to start my first chapter, but i cant seem to pick the best one!!!???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)