helpp (1 Viewer)

Twiggyy

twiggy
HSC
can sum1 help me with these m/c questions?

Blood in the pulmonary artery compared to blood in the aorta will have:
(A) more oxygen and more carbon dioxide
(B) more oxygen and less carbon dioxide
(C) the same concentration of oxygen and carbon dioxide
(D) less oxygen and more carbon dioxide

(i say d but im not sure)

It is thought that swans evolved to have long necks mainly through:
(A) changes in their physical environment
(B) competition for limited food resources
(C) constant stretching to reach food on the bottom of aquatic environments
(D) changes in their chemical environment

(i say b)

14. A hospital laboratory technician was examining some culture plates. She noticed a
colony from a strain of relatively harmless gut bacteria called enterococcus growing on a
culture medium containing three different antibiotics. Enterococci are also commonly
found in wounds infected with the dangerous bacterium Staphylococcus aureus (‘Golden
Staph’).
Use your understanding of bacteria and the problem of antibiotic resistance to decide
which of the following statements is most correct.
(A) There is no way of killing this enterococcus bacterium now that it has become
resistant to antibiotics
(B) Even though the enterococcus bacterium is relatively harmless, the laboratory
technician should still report her observation, as genetic information controlling
resistance to these antibiotics could be transferred from enterococcus to diseasecausing
bacteria, like Staphylococcus aureus, by transduction or conjugation
(C) The enterococcus bacterium could still cause harm to humans by feeding on these antibiotics, when they were prescribed by doctors, and so prevent these
antibiotics from protecting against disease-causing bacteria, like Staphylococcus aureus
(D) If people ingested these enterococcus bacteria with their food, these people would become resistant to the antibiotics.

i say c?

heres a short questions aswell any help will be much appreciated!
(b) Briefly explain why convergent evolution occurs and identify the result of convergent evolution.

DistantCube

HSC
1. d
2. b
3. b/c (after discussion with a friend, he says b is credible, im not sure. I thought it was c originally, I don't see the problem in c...)

4. convergent evolution, that is, evolving to be similar, occurs when two different organisms live in the same environment that selects similarly. Therefore the organisms adaps to the environment in similar ways; for example, sharks (fish) and dolhpins (mammals) adapted to have stream lined bodies to help them move through the water; therefore the ocean environment selected for these two completely different organisms to evolve convergently.

danieljarvis

HSC
1 - D ( pulmonary artery is only artery that carries de-oxygenated blood away from the heart )
2 - i would say A :s
3 - B
4 - previous answer works for me!

Touchstone

HSC
For Q14. It is definitely B.

C is suggesting that the bacteria will 'eat' the antibiotics and thus cause harm to us as there will be no antibiotics left to kill Golden Staph. But Golden Staph is resistant to the antibiotics anyway... B is correct as the bacteria can swap genetic information (using transposons or something?)

ishq

brown?
HSC
danieljarvis said:
1 - D ( pulmonary artery is only artery that carries de-oxygenated blood away from the heart )
2 - i would say A :s
3 - B
4 - previous answer works for me!
I was thinking A too, but really, look at the physical environment of a swan - its water... I'd go with B on that one...

That one is a dodgy question.

danieljarvis

HSC
i think that is a bad question to.. as it could most likely be both answers

example for A is Kangaroos size changes from the super size animals to the smaller ones around today because of environment changes.
B - giraffes grew longer necks due to competition..

so i duno, stupid questino, could be both.. but just hast o be the one that is "most" correct.. which is up to your own discretion :S

i dont think an hsc exam would have a question that speculative

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I'd say B for 14 as well. C is not as correct because Enterococci are not harmful because they have acquired antibiotic resistance, but they get to other places of the body where they start to infect the host, but while in the gut, they are harmless as they are a part of the microflora.

And by the way, Touchstone, transposon is not a way in which bacteria swap genetics materials. Transposon is your jumping genes from chromosomes to chromosomes within the genome, or from one locus to another locus within the same chromosome. (refer to Option: Genetics)

Transduction and conjugation are two of the ways in which bacteria can swap DNAs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)