Helping a Cohort (1 Viewer)

goodcat911

HSC
Is it worth helping your cohort (pooling resources, helping with questions etc. with everyone in the grade) in the hsc? I understand that a good cohort would make internals a lot less stressful (as a low internal rank would be less demotivating), but helping also would take time and energy. Also, if one did want to make their cohort better (hsc school ranking to be top 10-20), what would be the best way to do so?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In theory, that would be a good thing to do, as the optimal outcome (i.e. if everything goes as planned) from an internal perspective would be that the relative differences (gaps) between students' Assessment Marks would be reduced, based on the assumption that the cohort would perform at a superior standard in the HSC exams as a whole because the students of that cohort are all helping each other with their studies. In such a case, a lower internal rank would not constitute as much of a problem as it normally would. Coupled with the notion that we are focusing on a school ranked within the top 10-20 (meaning that it would already have an academically capable cohort), this would further mitigate the unfavourable effect of a lower internal rank.

This brings us to achieving this, which is where you may face obstacles. For example, the ideal condition would be that the entire cohort engages in such collaboration, as opposed to some students, in which case the effect would not be as significant. Whether this can be guaranteed may be uncertain, and this may be even more relevant given the fact that we are focusing on a high-ranked school, where a number of students can have a competitive mindset and may therefore consider this as a potentially negative influence on their performance, making them reluctant to assist their peers.

In addition to resource sharing and helping each other with questions (both of which can definitely contribute to superior cohort performance), perhaps you could consider collective exam preparation of some sort.

I hope this helps! :D

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Is it worth helping your cohort (pooling resources, helping with questions etc. with everyone in the grade) in the hsc? I understand that a good cohort would make internals a lot less stressful (as a low internal rank would be less demotivating), but helping also would take time and energy. Also, if one did want to make their cohort better (hsc school ranking to be top 10-20), what would be the best way to do so?
Personally I think you should do it out of the kindness of your heart rather than just for HSC rankings.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
my cohort helped each other out esp in my accelerated classes where we were a smaller more tight-knit group to begin with. definitely founded on kindness and the collective struggle to succeed, and ofc the idea that if the whole cohort is strong then going into the HSC everyone should excel regardless of internal rank. I have rlly fond memories from those days where we all helped each other out and didn't gatekeep resources and notes. highly recommend this type of atmosphere

this one guy was a gun at 2u(and 3u) and rlly close to the HSC he made a massive question bank containing only the most difficult questions from trial papers+ other resources, he rated each questions difficultly out of 5 and wrote his solutions for each and gave the resource to everyone🤩🤩 what a chad must have taken him ages to put that thing together. soz I'm totally reminiscing

TopGHsC

HSC
Is there any way I can get a copy of that question bank for 2U pls

MonKeHh

HSC
Yes. At the very least help your friends, "tutor" each other during your frees, it'll help everyone involved. If you're able to share resources and help each other out, your own understanding of the concept gets better AND if your whole grade sucks, chances are you wont be able to get that big band six because of scaling and all that.

Susu123

HSC
Yes. At the very least help your friends, "tutor" each other during your frees, it'll help everyone involved. If you're able to share resources and help each other out, your own understanding of the concept gets better AND if your whole grade sucks, chances are you wont be able to get that big band six because of scaling and all that.
preach

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
nsg did that in '20, normo has done one every year iirc, nsb did – it only works if no drama n stuff
(they just had resource banks n study groups)
this depends on if you like your cohort enough like i'm not willing to risk getting sued for them so i don't share much i've only shared some stuff for chem because i don't take it and then everyone begged me afterwards for more stuff so i just pretend like some older grad gave me it

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
why not? if you r rank 1 both internally and externally you wouldnt be affected right?

Cute-Duckie

HSC
If not everyone in your class would participate, would it be more beneficial doing it with a small group of friends or smth instead? Or would you guys still recommend doing it with the whole class/cohort?

carrotsss

HSC
If not everyone in your class would participate, would it be more beneficial doing it with a small group of friends or smth instead? Or would you guys still recommend doing it with the whole class/cohort?
Don’t overthink it too much tbh just be kind and share resources with people and you’ll get stuff back etc

MonKeHh

HSC
why not? if you r rank 1 both internally and externally you wouldnt be affected right?
Its always good to have some sort of a safety net when sitting the hsc exam. Even if you're ranking 1 internally, the hsc exam may stress you out and you might screw up. if your whole cohort is smart then the highest external mark won't be completely dependent on you, and so if you do mess up, there's always the chance that someone else scored 95+, which would be the most beneficial to you, the person internally ranked first.

if your whole cohort is smart, no one benefits more than the person ranked first.

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
Its always good to have some sort of a safety net when sitting the hsc exam. Even if you're ranking 1 internally, the hsc exam may stress you out and you might screw up. if your whole cohort is smart then the highest external mark won't be completely dependent on you, and so if you do mess up, there's always the chance that someone else scored 95+, which would be the most beneficial to you, the person internally ranked first.

if your whole cohort is smart, no one benefits more than the person ranked first.
Damn does that mean im screwed if i move back to my old school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)