Help~!! (1 Viewer)

yabby

HSC
Hey guys, im having trouble with this question, its off the 2003 paper and i dont have the answers either

"During your studies you have used a simple model to outline the process by which DNA controls the production of protein. Discuss the uses and limitations of models when illustrating biological concepts such as this" (7marks)

Well my brains gone completely dead, dont even know which part of the syllabus this is from...
Anyone wanna post a decent answer? or if you've got the BOS answer, please post it!
thanks and good luck with bio

SmileyCam

HSC
wait, are you talking about Q25? coz it's only worth 4 marks and you have the wording wrong

yabby

HSC
Sorry, it was the 2005 hsc trial examination...my bad

But the wording is exact, and its 7 marks..

danieljarvis

HSC
i have that exam, and i did it entirely except that fucking question to!!!

which sucks.

probly something about mRNA in there, protein synthesis also. but im not sure of a proper answer. :(

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
no it is from the 2003 HSC exam...cause i was doing it today at the library and had nfi idea what to put and i know the syllabus well... all i could think of was the fact that they're just simulations so the actual processes are much larger etc etc...

Twiggyy

twiggy
HSC
During your studies you have used a simple model to outline the process by which DNA controls the production of protein. Discuss the uses and limitations of models when illustrating biological concepts such as this.

hey well what i would say for that question is..

advantages
- able to analyse the idea behind dna controlling the production of proteins in comprehendable manner.
-another advantage would be that this dna process can not be seen under an electron microscope thus the next best technique to understand it is through simplified structures.

disadvantages
- the model oversimplifies the process as it is inititially highly complex
-the model may produce misconceptions and innaccuracies. <-- thats an important one!
-it reduces the process from a long time process into a short term process
-it simplifies the structure, shape, structure and colour of dna
-does not demonstrate the inzipping process of dna
-these models are limited in their resources as those studying the process will have a limit knowledge of uracile, thymine, adenine, gyauanine and cytosine in determining their roles in the dna process...

umm yea thats wat i would say.. any other suggestions?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The DNA ---> mRNA ----> protein is the central dogma of molecular biology and you use this simple "flowchart" as your biological model. Make sure you draw your model out, as above (DNA---> etc)

Then you discuss the advantages and disadvantages, much like what Twiggyy had done.

Generally, models are used for simplicity. But the limitation of course, is that it doesn't represent the complexicity of transcription and translation and how DNA interacts with the various enzymes and chemicals to produce mRNA. And that splicing of mRNA occurs, and all other reactions including post-transcriptional and post-translational modifications occur inside a cell that ultimately produce the final products of proteins are not represented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)