• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help?! (1 Viewer)

jd-angel

HSC
hey every1. i was just wondering how i'm meant 2 study for Jap (begginers). I don't know where 2 start. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way, how did every1 go in there Jap speaking exam earlier this month? Domo Arigato . Bye

P

pLuvia

my friend is doing the hsc this year for japanese as an accelerant, and i also do it. And these are some tips he has given to me

Practice doing past hsc writing task - although this site isn't all past papers, it gives a clear understanding of what is expected HSC Online

In your writing tasks, i don't know if you can use a dictionary in the HSC japanese beginners but try to minimise the use of the dictionary, so try using your learnt structures with vocabulary that is in the syllabus

HSC Online has good listening samples that you can do

I have a japanese tutor, she is really nice and is really good, she is pure japanese, if you would like her number then pm me. By the way she lives in the north shore area

Practice the area where you are weak at, do not go into the exam room with a prepared essay, as there are many different possible questions they can ask, try to get a rough outline of what structures, vocabulary, plot that you could use in the exam like for the topics

Meeting People
Family and Friends
Home Life
Education
Around Town
Travel
Future

but don't try to use continuer's structures or any structures not associated with the syllabus as you would not get any marks for it, and also kanji, it's better you don't use it rather than to write it wrong in the exam

taken out of HSC Online for Writing

About the exam

The Writing in Japanese section of the exam is worth 10 marks.

Students are required to express their thoughts in Japanese in approximately 200 – 250 ji. Where required, the form of the written language to be used may be stipulated. Students should practise various discourse forms, for example, diary entry, dialogue, composition etc.

Students should allow approximately 30 minutes for the writing question in the exam.

Preparing for the exam

Reading in Japanese will improve your writing skills. Use past HSC papers and your textbooks to read a range of different text types covering the topics of the syllabus. Take note of the features of different text types.

As you read, note down interesting vocabulary, phrases and sentences that you will be able to incorporate into your own writing. It is a good idea to create a bank of useful phrases relating to each topic of the syllabus.

Carefully go over work handed back by your teacher. It is good practice to rewrite your compositions after they have been corrected. You can do this either by hand or using a computer.

Practise makes perfect so you should write frequently. You can correspond with a Japanese pen friend by letter or email.

Practise writing under exam conditions giving yourself a time limit of approximately 30 minutes.

In the exam

Choose the question for which you are best prepared. Jot down a rough plan of your response.

Make a rough list of the vocabulary, structures, phrases and kanji you intend to use. Try to include a variety of relevant language and script.

Avoid copying Japanese from other sections of the paper. The examiner will be aware of this.

Keep your writing accurate and interesting. Don’t try to be too humorous as humour can be very difficult to translate. Use language that you can manage confidently.

Keep to the required word length and time allocation.

Check through your answer for obvious grammatical errors, for example, tenses of verbs and adjectives, particles etc.

Always avoid word for word translation from English to Japanese. Try to think in Japanese within the limits of your language.

Use this opportunity to demonstrate your ability with a range of advanced structures and kanji, and katakana where appropriate. Use the appropriate conventions of the text form and practise writing on genkooyooshi. (squared paper)

What the markers are looking for

The criteria for Writing in Japanese are:

• the capacity to deal with the chosen topic

appropriateness of treatment
suitability of the writing for the topic and/or purpose

• form and organization

observation of the conventions of the discourse form and specifications regarding length
organisation of content

• clarity of expression

control of the language required by the topics, including accuracy in the use of linguistic elements

• variety and appropriateness of vocabulary and sentence structuring

range of vocabulary
appropriateness of vocabulary and sentence structure.
taken out HSC Online for Reading and Responding

About the exam

The Processing written information section of the exam is worth 30 marks.

This section of the exam should take approximately 60 minutes. It is designed to assess your knowledge and skill in analysing and responding to information from written texts.

Part A, Extracting information from written texts, is worth 20 marks. Students read a number of short texts in Japanese; for example advertisements, signs, notes etc, from which they are required to extract specific information. Questions will be in English, and students will answer in English or mark as appropriate.

Part B, Responding to written texts, is worth 10 marks. Students read one or more short passages in Japanese and use the information extracted from the texts to complete a task or series of tasks in Japanese in a total of 80-100 ji, for example, respond to a letter or advertisement, complete a questionnaire or form, or write a journal entry in response to a described event.

Preparing for the exam

You should be familiar with the Beginners prescribed vocabulary list and kanji list. You must be able to read and understand both kanji for writing and kanji for reading from the 1995 syllabus page 38. Dictionaries cannot be used in the Beginners exam at present.

You should be familiar with the prescribed language components from the 1995 syllabus pages 13-18.

Work through the reading skills sections of past papers. Look at the sort of topics that have been covered in previous years and make sure you are familiar with the vocabulary and language structures used.

In the exam

Part A

Take notice of the title of the passage. New (non-prescribed) vocabulary may be in the title and may not be listed again. The title often gives a clue to the overall sense of the text.

Read through the questions at the end of the text. They will give you clues to the overall meaning. Questions are generally given in order, as they occur in the passage.

Read the text for the first time to gain a general idea of the content.

Now read the questions again and mark the sections on the paper from where you think the answers come.

Work your way through the questions and write your answers. Answer all questions fully and provide all relevant information.

If there are specific words of which you are unsure, try to deduce their meaning from the question, the title or the words around them.

Look out for subsections to questions. It is easy to omit parts when you are under pressure.

Make sure your writing is legible and that your answers make sense.

Don’t use liquid paper to correct mistakes as you may forget to go back and fill in the new answer.

Make sure that you answer the questions on the paper. Underline key words if necessary. Commonly occurring words in questions include:

what? / who? / why? / how? / in what way? / describe / list / explain

Keep to the allocated time. You should divide your time according to the marks allocated to the question, so that you don’t run out of time to complete the paper.

Part B

Select the vocabulary and relevant information to use in your response.

Take note of the text type required, and the audience for your writing.

Arrange your response in a meaningful way, using conjunctions to clarify meaning.

Remember that your writing must demonstrate independence from the original text, not just repeat the information already given. It is not necessary to use all information given in the text.

If there are two texts given, remember to refer to both in your response.

Use this opportunity to show off your knowledge of kanji, vocabulary and structures, within the scope of the task.

What the markers are looking for

The assessment criteria for all sections of the Beginners paper are listed on the exam papers and in the syllabus.

The criteria for Part A is:

• the capacity to select relevant information from the passages of written language.

You will be required to identify and convey gist, main points, supporting points and detailed items of specific information.

The criteria for Part B are:

• the capacity to select and use relevant information from the written material;

• form and organisation

observation of the conventions of the discourse form (for example, format, style, cultural appropriateness)
organisation of information into a meaningful sequence
• effective expression

control of the language required to complete the task (appropriateness, clarity of expression including accuracy in the use of linguistic elements)
degree of independence from the wording of the original information.
hope that helps :p good luck in your HSC

Estelle

Waa not right!!

kadlil said:
but don't try to use continuer's structures or any structures not associated with the syllabus as you would not get any marks for it, and also kanji, it's better you don't use it rather than to write it wrong in the exam
It is NOT true that you are not to use vocab and kanji from continuers or thats not part of the begginner syallabus!!!

The more of anything you know the better. You will find that the poeple who get band 6 in begginers, it is obvious they have researched themselves outside of the syllabus to learn new kanji, vocab and structures!

The more you use the more marks you get, it is prefered if you know more than just the syallabus!!!!!!!

P

pLuvia

If you use vocabulary outside of the syllabus, or structures or kanji they will not count it into the marking. They will simply ignore it

Estelle

kadlil said:
If you use vocabulary outside of the syllabus, or structures or kanji they will not count it into the marking. They will simply ignore it
Thats not true!

If you read all the band 6 responses they all use heaps of extra kanji, structures and vocab.
Band 5 is when people make good use of syllabus content, generally.

Ever since i started doing Japanese, all the teachers and everyone ever tell me is to use as much as you can, not just what you learn basically. Plus looking at standards packages and so on is evidence.

If you can give me evidence that i am wrong then okay, but i am most certain that they do count it as the candidate has evidently worked very hard if they know such things.

P

pLuvia

I know what you mean by using extra vocabulary, kanji etc, but I'm just pointing out they would not include that in the marking scheme, the reason why they get into the band 6 range is because of the clever linkage, content, a fluent text - not memorised.

My teachers have also told me to do that, use more structures than you should, but what more can you learn :confused:, but has also advised us not to use kanji that we are not familiar with, so not to use the kanji in the dictionary that we do not know how to write.

The syllabus is there to limit the different courses, or then it will be unfair for the other students who do not know extra curricular. So you can use as much, university structures as you want, or kanji, but the markers will not take marks off it but would just not count it into the marking scheme.

P

pLuvia

As said here

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/japanesec_rubrics.html

In your answers you will be assessed on how well you demonstrate:

relevance of the treatment of ideas, information or opinions
accuracy of vocabulary and sentence structures
variety of vocabulary and sentence structures
capacity to structure and sequence responses.
They assess on the accuracy, variety of vocabulary and examines if there are useless things that are not relevant to the question.

The Band 6s achieve all of these criteria, while Band 5s may not or just don't do as well.

If I find or get more information on the marking criteria and the inclusion of extra curricular, I'll let you no. And please don't get the idea that I think you are wrong, but that's what the syllabus is for :p

..:''ooo

HSC
actually, using vocabs, kanji, and structures outside syllabus is kinda risky.
if you get a marker who knows the syllabus, they will consider it
but if u get a maker who knows shit all they will think its better than the other ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)