Help (1 Viewer)

yepImhere

HSC
1698119320696.png

This is the first part of the flowchart, and I know the alkene is being made into an alcohol by the hydration reaction, but in the answers compound A is a secondary alcohol and compound B is a primary alcohol, how do I know to do that cause I would have just drawn the same compound for both A and B.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
View attachment 41048

This is the first part of the flowchart, and I know the alkene is being made into an alcohol by the hydration reaction, but in the answers compound A is a secondary alcohol and compound B is a primary alcohol, how do I know to do that cause I would have just drawn the same compound for both A and B.
oh lol i actually finished the paper where this is from a few hours ago, i have the paper w me rn
ok so basically you know that for A and B, one of it is a primary alcohol and the other is a secondary alcohol. you'd have to look at the rest of the flowchart to deduce A and B. the rest of the flowchart shows B being oxidised to form D, which refluxes with methanol to form an ester. thus, you would conclude that D is a carboxylic acid (as carboxylic acid + alcohol are the reactants for esterification).

you can only get a carboxylic acid as the product of oxidation if the alcohol you're oxidising is a primary alcohol. therefore, B is the primary alcohol, and A is the secondary alcohol.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
firstly, there are two products: major and minor products

if you keep looking at the second part of the flowchart you will see that an oxidation occurs to make a carboxylic acid, hence, B is the primary alcohol and A is the secondary alcohol

yepImhere

HSC
thank you everyone, so when an alkene is hydrated it forms both primary and secondary alcohol molecules?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
thank you everyone, so when an alkene is hydrated it forms both primary and secondary alcohol molecules?
yeah there are gonna be two products, one of which is the primary and one of which is the secondary

remember; you tell which one is the 'major' product by using markovnikov's rule - the hydrogen is added to the carbon with the most hydrogens (I think of it as 'the rich get richer' lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)