help? (1 Viewer)

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
I've had this problem since i was 7 or so..

I'm having troubles reading.. i can't read.. without zoning out or falling asleep.
I can easily read something factual (e.g. textbooks, newspaper articles) but i'll obviously need to get into the habit of reading heaps for yr 11 and 12.
I'm good with essays, but i fail at writing creative stories for english.
obviously, this is the reason why i'm doing english standard, and ontop of this i have an english tutor.
i just can't force myself to read a novel.. and i'll be dragged down heaps because of my hate for reading novels..
everytime i try, i can't concentrate for long. i even take fishoil just before i try to read, and it doesn't work that well..
do you know anyone like this.. do you know what would be wrong? maybe the right side of my brain is retarded?? anyone know how they trained themselves to read heaps? (beside getting into the habit of reading a novel every so often..if that makes sense?)

and, i want to do law.. i like reading stuff related to law.. but obviously you need to be a really good reader to do law??

Hanakiri

HSC
Law involves a lot of reading, even if you're just looking at 'Legal Studies' in secondary school. Basically, there is no short answer to how one can read better, you just.. Read. There have been moments where I haven't exactly been keen to read, but because I persisted, I got better. As I read more, the faster I was able to read, the faster I was able to read, the more content I was able to consume. I also read critically and this enabled me to retain the knowledge gained from a reading session.

After every paragraph, try recap what you just read and how it relates to the rest of the story, and then move on. Try also imaging yourself in that particular situation, comparing the novel to your own life and other small tricks that you could possibly find by researching this further. These tips or tricks may be key to keeping you interested.

Remember that Law as a career path is 'very' competitive, this alone should motivate you. Really, the way I'm interpreting your first post is that the problem lies in your mentality. I.E, you look at books and think, 'Ew, I don't really want to read that.' when instead, you should be trying to tell yourself, 'Hey, a book, I could learn a lot from this, maybe it can help me in further study, especially considering I want to go into law.'

Regards.

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
that's because you haven't read anything good yet. probably been reading too much $2 paperback rubbish.

philphie

Banned
HSC
lol and did you make it through those light weights?

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
No. i've never read an entire book without skipping pages. when i do book reviews and assignments, i leech off the internet.. really lol

musing

HSC
Uhhh just force yourself to read and pretend you enjoy it at the same time. It's all about the mindset.

philphie

Banned
HSC
haha i have seriously never heard of anyone who can't stand reading

lychnobity

HSC

I'm having troubles reading.. i can't read.. without zoning out or falling asleep.
I can easily read something factual (e.g. textbooks, newspaper articles) but i'll obviously need to get into the habit of reading heaps for yr 11 and 12.
obviously, this is the reason why i'm doing english standard, and ontop of this i have an english tutor.
i just can't force myself to read a novel.. and i'll be dragged down heaps because of my hate for reading novels..
everytime i try, i can't concentrate for long. i even take fishoil just before i try to read, and it doesn't work that well..
do you know anyone like this.. do you know what would be wrong? maybe the right side of my brain is retarded?? anyone know how they trained themselves to read heaps? (beside getting into the habit of reading a novel every so often..if that makes sense?)

and, i want to do law.. i like reading stuff related to law.. but obviously you need to be a really good reader to do law??
I think it's a concentration problem (and a content one, but that's beside the point).

Factual books are succinct; and every sentence addresses a different point, whereas novels tend to be more long winded.

Try to be an active reader rather than a lazy one, understand and comprehend what you read. Don't just sit there and take in the words. It's like the difference between hearing something and listening to it.

Learn to block the voice in your head that's mentally producing the sounds of the words. You can see something faster than you talk about it.

Don't let your brain switch off. Develop an appreciation/opinion for whatever you're reading. Do this for all English texts, it will prove invaluable.

Just because you're beginning your HSC, you get to cheat. Read thematic summaries on the internet, but don't take the quotes. Pick any random page and pick a relevant quote or two. Repeat for 24 pages. Use the list for quotes when writing an essay.

0bs3n3

HSC
You really need to develop this 'skill' now. Reading is one of the most invaluable yet simple ways of gaining knowledge. Read more and you WILL be smarter, full stop. With your set texts for the HSC, you're pretty much forced to, so just do it, pretty much. Don't make excuses is probably all I can say, whenever you even think about reading, don't go into all that thought about how dreary it is, just pick it up and start reading. Books don't read themselves.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Above all, to start with, find stuff you actually enjoy reading. That will serve as a better incentive than pretty much anything.

mioumiou

HSC

It's okay Jess, I've got the same problem too! I think the reason that I have troubles reading a book is because I didn't have a habit of reading and after that I felt like I can't be bothered and stuff like that. And I also have troubles concerntrating when reading too! So you're not the only one =S

Add me into the list!! (having trouble with reading.....jokes) =P

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What about for prescribed texts?
That's why I said start off with texts you enjoy. Once you can finish books you like, you can move on to, well... 'less entertaining' texts.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I know I had a huge break from reading because I hated 'Wind In The Willows'. Took me months to finish it. Go back into reading after picking up a copy of Inside Little Britain. Haven't looked back since.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)