• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Is there n e other evidence for Einstein’s general theory of relativity other than that solar eclipse thingo? Like, evidence due to technological advancement?

Ozza

HSC
1) The Flying of atomic clocks to determine the existence of time dilation
2) Dilated lifetimes of mesons penetrating the Earth's atmosphere
3) In particle accelerators, the increase of mass of the particles as they were accelerated to near-light speeds.
4) Energy from converted mass in nuclear equations.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
The three classical tests of general relativity were:
- the perihelion precession of Mercury's orbit
- the deflection of light by the Sun
- the gravitational redshift of light

However, it was later found that the gravitational redshift of light was not a test of general relativity, per se, but of the Einstein equivalence principle upon which genreal relativity is founded upon. The third test in modern eras is the time delay of light as it undergoes deflection due to the curvature of spacetime. All three tests have produced results that agree with predictions made by general relativity, but general relativity still has not been precision tested at the largest scales in cosmology.

(btw, I'm not up to date with general relativity and all, they might have proposed other tests for general relativity that I'm not up to date with, so look around for that info.)

Last edited:
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
The three classical tests of general relativity were:
- the perihelion precession of Mercury's orbit
- the deflection of light by the Sun
- the gravitational redshift of light

However, it was later found that the gravitational redshift of light was not a test of general relativity, per se, but of the Einstein equivalence principle upon which genreal relativity is founded upon. The third test in modern eras is the time delay of light as it undergoes deflection due to the curvature of spacetime. All three tests have produced results that agree with predictions made by general relativity, but general relativity still has not been precision tested at the largest scales in cosmology.

(btw, I'm not up to date with general relativity and all, they might have proposed other tests for general relativity that I'm not up to date with, so look around for that info.)
wow, nice answer, what school u go to?!?!?? n where u get that from lol
umm....i was jus writing one of my dot point answers on relativity...n wondered if now they can actually test general relativity due to advancement in technology.....like how they can test special theory [n b4 they couldn’t]...and not observations[like general theory]....i guess got to wait till we can bend space n time-_-

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Patrician Brothers' College Fairfield, and I got that out of my Cosmology module :p

The ways you would test general relativity would be via those three tests, and other tests developed because of an increased ability to observe phenomena in the universe, such as indirect observation of gravitational waves produced by binary pulsars rotating around each other. There is no real way to test general relativity with localised tests inside an Earth bound laboratory, well any tests that can be thought up by humans on such a small scale anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)