*help*... (1 Viewer)

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
does anyone know how to answer this question…

”Explain how the age of a globular cluster can be determined from its zero-age main sequence plot for a H-R diagram.”
and…
”Identify one piece of technology that has been used to help make this determination”

I’ve found out the answer for open clusters, but I can’t find out how the age of a globular cluster can be found using ZAMS…
any links to sites or whatever would be so appreciated
thanks x

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Old globular clusters will have not so many stars on the main sequence line, cos stars have evolved and are like different types of stars, like Pop I stars as oppose dto normal Pop II stars.
Newer clusters will have most stars on the main sequence line.

I dont know anymore :(

I dont do astrophysics.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
i detect ultra~smartness :uhhuh:
you know heaps for not doing it! :p
thanks arghya! :)

i found an old thread and its given me a good staring point :)

helper

HSC
N/A
A cluster is a group of stars of the same age. When you plot them on the H-R diagram, you are plotting a group of same age stars.

Stars on the top left of the Main Sequence are larger and have shorte lifes, so they use up their H first and leave the main sequence first and head towards the Red Giant Phase.

So looking at the plot of the cluster, there will be a branch off the main sequence to the right. The lower down this branch is, the older the cluster. This is because all the stars above have used up their H.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)