Help Writing Essays in Business (1 Viewer)

dwh2427

Just wondering if any one really good at business studies could give me some tips in writing a business essay.
I do pretty well in all the short answer multiple choice questions and all that but when it comes to writing the essay it lets my whole mark down. like i get 90% in the SA and MC but only 11/20 for the essay.
the case study i'm using is Qantas. i seem to know all the theory as well as my case study. i just need some tips on applying it all.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
my best advice is dont write essays...write reports.....

1. it is so much easier.....half of it is all in pt forms under headings..so that saves you vrain power, ink and time.....you dont need chok full of paragraphs...just one topic entence..+ a few more sentences...+ lots of points and diagrams....

2. it is so much easier to determine ur report headings...just chop up the question..make the keywords as your headings and subheadings..

3. if you do a report..there are more chances of you finishing it than an essay.....by emmeshing urself in wordy sentences.....you can do al of that in point forms, and hence you can write a report with same info faster....

4. markers generalli prefer reports over essays.....biz studies is prob da onli subject where the markers acutall wnana see lots of headings, subheadings, pts, and diagrams instead of chok full of pargraphs....

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
<><><>

I do the same, but I prefer to include detailed reponses in my report (10 liners)....

I don't cover a broad range of things, but rather focus on the
important information that the question is asking for and critically
analyse it.

In the process i might add some minor info to support my main argument. (stats, bullet points etc)

Its better than listing and outlining a heap of information that you
don't end up analysing... :p

Last edited:

dwh2427

by essay i meant report.
but by using bullets and more subheadings i suppose it becomes even more of a report.
thanks for the tips

PG5

HSC
so for the extended response question about your case study, is dat asking us to write a business report?

spunkymonkey225

Does any1 have any business reports they have written, and received a good mark for it.. So I can have a look @ what they're after..

Mr.Ugly

my teacher says you shouldnt regurgitate the stuff from the text book, like you actually gotta relate it to your case study and show how it has effect it etc

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
my teacher told us for the first extended response it should be a business report, and for the second we should do an essay.
but i am good at business, but i just ramble on with shit, but i have been involved in my parents business my whole life, so it all fits into place. just read the business section of the newspaper lots and try and link how everything fits together in yuor essay/report

Ezzmaye

HSC
N/A
Can anybody give me last minute tips for Global Business or anything as I have my trial on Monday and I would like to get really good marks as I'm not that good at it.

It would be very helpful.

Thanks

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
I always have problems with Reports

heres what happens

Okay say they go Describe the marketing strategies that xyz can use to facilititate survival and growth and Finance strategies

okay shitty question example but my point is , How many marketing strategies? how many financial strategies? Yes i know only relevant to the problem outlined in the business
but this could include a whole heap of product place price promotion strategies , and it takes time to write them all and DESCRIBE THEM. so how many generally should be recommended?

monkey187

God
HSC
Yeh business is really really gay like that. Like for a question that says outline possible causes for company xyz's decline in sales over the past 12 months it could be an endless list.
eg
Terrorists invaded the country
Vandals destroyed the company
natural disaster
higher taxes
alien invasion
millenium bug a few years late
airoplane fell into owner
brothel opend next door
mutant roaches that dont like ppl buying stuff from the company so they eat all the customers
godzilla
a truck crashed into the shop front
free way was constructed obstructing pedestrial access

its soo stupid its such a stupid subject and it makes me so angry

arg!!

homestar

i is really not that hard once you have got the hang of it, all i do is blabber on until i find a good point again. just remember the main points of any long answer response and don't stuff up :) just kidding all you need is practise

HSC
hmmm, for the very last question, the global essay/report...it only gives you a question with no stimulus material. do you still write in report format then?..coz the question doesn't really sound like a report type...if you know what i mean.

raymond_87

its an essay but still use headings like in the report..just dont include graphs and dot points

mikeryan69

HSC
N/A
thats right, also after each heading and explanation is the reference to a case study, this is done through report, markers refer it all in report style, easier to mark.

sajeda

HSC
does anyone happen to know a long case study that covers most of the topics? if yes please lemi know.!!!

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering if any one really good at business studies could give me some tips in writing a business essay.
I do pretty well in all the short answer multiple choice questions and all that but when it comes to writing the essay it lets my whole mark down. like i get 90% in the SA and MC but only 11/20 for the essay.
the case study i'm using is Qantas. i seem to know all the theory as well as my case study. i just need some tips on applying it all.
Im the best student at Business but I know how to approach questions and structure reports pretty well.

Firstly, you need to prepare a plan atleast 5-10mins on a page during the exam. Write your ideas and points down (I always do this). 1.) This is good if you run out of time the marker can see what you were planning to write and may allocate extra marks.. 2.) Also it will help you to flow your report more clearer.

Secondly, KNOW YOUR SYLLABUS WELL!!!! this is the key to writing extended responses and case studies!!!!

Thirdly, USE headings for each point or idea, make sure your work flows, don't use high quality vocab and grammar its a waste of time (it will not impress the marker).

Fourth, for case studies!! Don't overuse them throughout your essay!!! Ensure you connect it well also within your bodies or ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)