HELP!!! writing and cultural studies. (1 Viewer)

orchid_violet

HSC
does anyone do this? do the cultural disciplinary subjects, are they like studying novels and literature, like HSC english??? or more like studying cultures eg. the media, Australian culture etc etc.? I am confused. I just wanted to do writing, not this cultural studies crap...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
orchid_violet said:
does anyone do this? do the cultural disciplinary subjects, are they like studying novels and literature, like HSC english??? or more like studying cultures eg. the media, Australian culture etc etc.? I am confused. I just wanted to do writing, not this cultural studies crap...
Well I am in the same year/class as you for this so I can't give you any express details, however from the look of it looks like in semester 1 & 2 we have 3 core communications subjects that all communications students do + writing subject each semester. Then in the second year we basically choose 1 communication unit from a given list and 1 specific writing or culture unit from a given list + 1 or 2 electives each semester. Similar deal in semester 1 of year 3 as to year 2, and I haven't quite figured out honours and final semester yet.

I can also link you to the core units we start with in semester 1 and their assessment guide thingos:

Communications core:

Writing strand subject:

Oh, and here is the handbook entry for our course: Bachelor of Arts in Communications (Writing and Cultural Studies)

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
You have to do some cultural studies in the degree, that is implied by the very name of the course. Use the online course handbook to see exactly what subjects you will be doing and what they will involve.

somechick

HSC
N/A
kami gave a good outline

yes, you have to do three of the same subjects that ppl in other humanities majors are doing , (like in semester one: comm & info, power and change, cc1) and then you do your own major, which is writing style and structure. There is a lot of writing and culture in this course, like in second year YOU HAVE to choose cultural studies subjects. that is your discipline...
dont worry, first year cultural studies is a bludge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)