Help with Year 11 Subject Choices - Chemistry or Biology?! (1 Viewer)

megmegmeg

HSC
Hi everyone,

So right now I'm in year 10 and it's that time of the year where we're all having to decide which subjects to pick for year 11.

My goals for uni is to get into a Medicine course, so I'm trying to structure my subject selection around that (to prepare myself as much as possible).
Currently I definitely have:
- 3U Maths
- 3U English
- 2U Chemistry
- 2U Latin

I'm deciding between Physics and Biology; I'm getting mixed messages: my Chem teacher at school suggested I do Biology , but I've heard alot of other people (including another science teacher) suggest doing Physics.

What do you guys think?

russ3l

HSC
Physics > biology in terms of scaling (which you will need to take into account seeing how competitive medicine is)
However, do what you want/like because both physics and biology are applicable to the medicine course :)

Perhaps consider taking Latin out of the picture? I mean, you want to become a doctor, not a translator :p

HSC
why not try both of them so you can keep your options open in the beginning or throughout year 11 and if you find one that you particularly don't like/too hard/irrelevant then drop it?

starshine02

HSC
Just choose the one you are better at or you enjoy more. physics does have higher scaling though.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I don't do physics however i have a few opinions about biology.
The prelim bio course was terrible! I hated it, i didn't do well in it and i didn't enjoy myself and over half of the biology students dropped it (~60 --> 27)
However as soon as the HSC course started, I loved it. It is one of my favourite subjects (after chem), because I enjoy it, I am working in it. I enjoy learning about plants, the body, genetics, diseases, etc.

megmegmeg

HSC
Physics > biology in terms of scaling (which you will need to take into account seeing how competitive medicine is)
However, do what you want/like because both physics and biology are applicable to the medicine course :)

Perhaps consider taking Latin out of the picture? I mean, you want to become a doctor, not a translator :p
Yeah that's true :/
I wanted to do Latin because I'm not horrible at it, and it scales well (yes I know that you're not supposed to pick subjects that scale well)
I was thinking of doing all three sciences but I've heard it's super stressful and not many people can handle that much work :S

megmegmeg

HSC
why not try both of them so you can keep your options open in the beginning or throughout year 11 and if you find one that you particularly don't like/too hard/irrelevant then drop it?
Wow you do all three sciences? :O
How are you coping with that?

I thought about doing all three but my teachers said that all three is too stressful

I think I might do your suggestion, sounds like a good plan!

megmegmeg

HSC
I don't do physics however i have a few opinions about biology.
The prelim bio course was terrible! I hated it, i didn't do well in it and i didn't enjoy myself and over half of the biology students dropped it (~60 --> 27)
However as soon as the HSC course started, I loved it. It is one of my favourite subjects (after chem), because I enjoy it, I am working in it. I enjoy learning about plants, the body, genetics, diseases, etc.
Yeah, I really enjoy the health/body/diseases aspect of biology so the HSC course sounds really appealing!

I know that this is completely unrelated, but how are you finding Music 1 and 2? Is it stressful?

xDarkSilent

HSC
Uni Grad
You can relate a lot of the stuff in chemistry to biology .
Physics, is a little bit more difficult, but once you understand the concepts youll find it easy.
I currently do Biology and Chemistry .
And i find them both pretty fun :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I really enjoy the health/body/diseases aspect of biology so the HSC course sounds really appealing!

I know that this is completely unrelated, but how are you finding Music 1 and 2? Is it stressful?
You can't do music 1 and 2, only music 1 or 2 :p

I'm doing music 2 and extension.
I find music 2 really interesting, from prelim -> hsc you go through heaps of periods from baroque --> modern music
Music 2 is my easier subject by far, you just need regular practice on your instrument, and know the concepts of music and what they involve. It's a relaxing subject, the essay question can be written as do points (though I don't recommend it), in some ways it's kind of like english except 100x easier. If you choose to do music, I recommend music 2 as a lot of my friends who should have done music 2 but did music 1 are bored. They say it's really easy and it's not worth the 2 years of doing.

For Music Ext. I'm doing composition (2 contrasting compositions that is 6min in total), THe composition part is ok however the port folio is the hardest part. Altogether I'm doing 3 compositions and 3 performances and I think that's a good combination as it's not too much playing which is good because I'm not compared to people who have done Lmus as much. Again, this is just 2 hours a week after school, my class is great, i get along with them fine, not stressful at all. We all help each other (critique each other in a good way, help with compositions, help with essays, etc).

I hoped that helped. pm me if you have any specific questions

The Matrix

HSC
I hate biology, don't do it, biology is purely rote learning, and HSC biology is boring as hell, you do genetics! Do adv. english, MX2, Chem and Phys = 10 units, get about 90 in all of them, and you are on your way to a 99.95 !!!

megmegmeg

HSC
Physics, is a little bit more difficult, but once you understand the concepts youll find it easy.
Argh so many options! :(
Yeah, I'm just afraid Physics will be too difficult since I'm not naturally that great at maths

madharris

HSC
N/A
Argh so many options! :(
Yeah, I'm just afraid Physics will be too difficult since I'm not naturally that great at maths
One of my friends is 3rd in physics and doesn't do any maths. I'm pretty sure all you need to know is when to use what equation, and how to substitute and rearrange an equation

megmegmeg

HSC
I hate biology, don't do it, biology is purely rote learning, and HSC biology is boring as hell, you do genetics! Do adv. english, MX2, Chem and Phys = 10 units, get about 90 in all of them, and you are on your way to a 99.95 !!!
HOW DO YOU COPE WITH THREE SCIENCES? You must be so talented!

Wait so bio isn't worth doing? :/

megmegmeg

HSC
You can't do music 1 and 2, only music 1 or 2 :p

I'm doing music 2 and extension.
I find music 2 really interesting, from prelim -> hsc you go through heaps of periods from baroque --> modern music
Music 2 is my easier subject by far, you just need regular practice on your instrument, and know the concepts of music and what they involve. It's a relaxing subject, the essay question can be written as do points (though I don't recommend it), in some ways it's kind of like english except 100x easier. If you choose to do music, I recommend music 2 as a lot of my friends who should have done music 2 but did music 1 are bored. They say it's really easy and it's not worth the 2 years of doing.

For Music Ext. I'm doing composition (2 contrasting compositions that is 6min in total), THe composition part is ok however the port folio is the hardest part. Altogether I'm doing 3 compositions and 3 performances and I think that's a good combination as it's not too much playing which is good because I'm not compared to people who have done Lmus as much. Again, this is just 2 hours a week after school, my class is great, i get along with them fine, not stressful at all. We all help each other (critique each other in a good way, help with compositions, help with essays, etc).

I hoped that helped. pm me if you have any specific questions
Oh LOL that's awkward, sorry for being stupid

Hmmmm, I was sorta considering doing music but I'm not very good in aural and composition, AND my grade isn't that good since alot of others are already doing LMus, so performance wise I'm not the best either :(

But thank you so much for your help! :)

The Matrix

HSC
There is absolutely nothing to relate between biology and chemistry. Are you kidding?
Chemistry and Physics relate so much in the HSC, nuclear chemistry and Q2Q, equilibrium and lenz's law, etc..., in biology you don't even use chemical equations, biology is pure rote learning, i.e., memorising bullshit.
Also, physics is awesome, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVxBdMxgVX0 (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGWlT8SqXLM (Part 2)
Hopefully this is enough to convince you to choose physics, otherwise, I'll convince you myself because without physics, chemistry and biology don't exist (biology should be considered a social science!):

Suppose that you have a degree in Physics, and that you are being interviewed for your first paying job. To get the interview going, the interviewer will ask, "So, you have a degree in Physics?" The best answer is, "No, I have a degree in How To Solve Problems".
There are two main reasons why it is essential to make physics a big part of your first degree.
First, physics teaches you how to be a good scientist. You learn how to work out what the problem is, and then, how to solve it. You will learn how to do experiments. You will learn how to design experiments, how to make measurements, and how to analyse your results.
Note one very important thing. You are learning how to be any type of Scientist, not just a Physicist.
Once you know Physics, you need only a very small amount of Local Knowledge to do science into diabetes, the fatigue of metals, the different states of water (still a very poorly understood liquid), or why a tail is more efficient than a propeller (and maybe put the "fish" back into efficiency for ships). You need only a few weeks of solid reading to get started in any other field. You will pick up the rest of the knowledge that you need as you go along.
The second important thing that Physics teaches you is the essential "mental toolbox" to be any kind of good scientist. It doesn't matter whether you are trying to make a sick pancreas "morph" into a healthy pancreas while it's still in the body of a diabetic, or whether you are trying to save fuel by designing a better plane wing.
Everything that we can measure is in some way dependent on the Four Forces that run the Universe.
They are the Gravity Force (that keeps the planets in their orbits), the Electromagnetic Force (radio, TV, etc), the Weak Nuclear Force (certain types of radioactivity), and the Strong Nuclear Force (holds the protons in the nucleus together). No matter what you are trying to investigate, it will be mediated by one, or more, of these forces. Knowing this makes your job as a scientist so much easier!

madharris

HSC
N/A
Oh LOL that's awkward, sorry for being stupid

Hmmmm, I was sorta considering doing music but I'm not very good in aural and composition, AND my grade isn't that good since alot of others are already doing LMus, so performance wise I'm not the best either :(

But thank you so much for your help! :)
Naa it's not a stupid question, don't worry
You don't have to let your AMEB grade affect you
I've done Amus on piano however I'm only doing saxophone for my HSC in which I've only done 8th grade
However I beat 2 Lmus people at my school in the half yearlies in performance for music 2. You just need to practice!
With music the whole course is just practice! Practice at the melody dictation and sight singing and you're guaranteed the marks.

The composition part, all you need to do is get your teacher to help you as much as possible! Get as many opinions as possible from other teachers in your music department as well.

If not, you can do music 1. You don't need to submit a composition unless you do it as an elective. All you need is a performance and to complete the musicology exam (i think).
I think that you should do music if you can, as it's a fun, relaxing subject that actually relieves me from the stress of my other subject at times

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)