Help with Uni Course Choice (2 Viewers)

jonolad69

HSC
So…. didn’t answer my question but that’s all good. You saying people shouldn’t take advice from anons is pretty funny, considering you as someone who isn’t anonymous still gives bullshit information.

Also, as if your degrees give you any credibility whatsoever. Maybe if you were actually involved in the medicine field you’d seem more legit.

Are you still sticking with the idea that universities are purposely lying to deceive people applying? Why would they put false information on their website??

jonolad69

HSC
Yeah, I’m not gonna argue with you folks any more, OP should call UOW and ask their experts advisors.
Have a good day.
But if I called UOW they would say ”your degree doesn’t matter when applying for doctor of medicine”. But you’re saying this is bullshit and that they give preferential treatment to people enrolled in a particular degree. So why should I call them if ZakaryJayNicholls is telling me that they’re lying to me??

liamkk112

HSC
But if I called UOW they would say ”your degree doesn’t matter when applying for doctor of medicine”. But you’re saying this is bullshit and that they give preferential treatment to people enrolled in a particular degree. So why should I call them if ZakaryJayNicholls is telling me that they’re lying to me??
uhm because of his degrees, the people at uow are just anons

idkkdi

HSC
So…. didn’t answer my question but that’s all good. You saying people shouldn’t take advice from anons is pretty funny, considering you as someone who isn’t anonymous still gives bullshit information.

Also, as if your degrees give you any credibility whatsoever. Maybe if you were actually involved in the medicine field you’d seem more legit.

Are you still sticking with the idea that universities are purposely lying to deceive people applying? Why would they put false information on their website??
honestly not a very hot take. uni capping is quite possible here. unis kinda cap a fair bit lmao

for one, 'no preference' does not mean 'not viewed favourably'. no preference only really implies that they don't kinda separate out premeds into another 'preferred' box of applicants. applicant reviewers could very well prefer uow premeds while 'not giving preference'

liamkk112

HSC
honestly not a very hot take. uni capping is quite possible here. unis kinda cap a fair bit lmao

for one, 'no preference' does not mean 'not viewed favourably'. no preference only really implies that they don't kinda separate out premeds into another 'preferred' box of applicants. applicant reviewers could very well prefer uow premeds while 'not giving preference'
could be true but its still safer to not do premed, given that theres ~120 people in the course and theres ~85 people in the doctor of medicine, and theres also external applicants on top of the premed people

harperissleepy

HSC
You’re an absolute nobody. You don’t even a degree.
I know plenty of people with degrees that have become very successful, you don't need to go to uni to be a somebody
I'm sure they'd earned more than you have
plus academic success or whatever academic path you choose does not determine your worth
I'm sorry that you're so insecure and stuck up that you feel that having a degree makes you better than other people

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Sorry No half of this is false, doing premed has little benefit to postgrad med apart from some help in the gamsat (which ud already be studying for). It is much better to pursue a degree that u can get work opportunities in (eg business or literally anything other than premed). The only jobs u can get in premed are mostly based Arnd research, because you need to take into account the possibility that u DONT get into postgrad med.
if ur gonna do premed anywhere tho, maybe consider a uni pathway option like Notre dame biomed or Macquarie. ANU has a rlly good health science course that saves 30% of its postgrad seats for health sci graduates. Uow doesn’t guarantee u anything apart from an interview, u still need to get a high gpa, sit gamsat AND caspr.

when assessor’s look at candidates for postgrad med, they don’t look at their previous degrees. It has absolutely no impact if u did bach arts or bach premed, they may just choose the person who did arts bc they got a higher gpa than u (makes sense, comparing difficulties of the degrees).
@zlum23
I'm sorry but what sources did u get this off (honest qn not an attack btw) bc istg finding information on prereqs are always rlly vague

Last edited:

nsw..wollongong

HSC
I'm sorry but what sources did u get this off (honest qn not an attack btw) bc istg finding information on prereqs are always rlly vague
Sry which bit did u want sources on? Because most of what I know are from unis themselves and med handbooks from GEMSAS or medical board of Australia, I can send any of ur questions to ppl Ive spoken to if ud like

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
I know plenty of people with degrees that have become very successful, you don't need to go to uni to be a somebody
I'm sure they'd earned more than you have
plus academic success or whatever academic path you choose does not determine your worth
I'm sorry that you're so insecure and stuck up that you feel that having a degree makes you better than other people
funny thing is i've met phd students at MIT and they were more humble and understanding 😭

Luukas.2

HSC
You’re an absolute nobody. You don’t even a degree.
Declaring that, in your mind, not having a degree equates to being a nobody is an extremely effective way to portray your perspective on people.

I sincerely hope that my future is filled with people with more mature perspectives.

Each medical department operates its graduate entries in a similar, but not entirely different fashion.
"Similar, but not entirely different"

Such eloquent... drivel - full of sound and fury, yet signifying nothing.

---

As much as I dislike some of what ZJN is saying (and the way he is saying it), he isn't wrong about the way university entry for medicine operates. The process may not explicitly preference one undergraduate degree over another - and in that sense, the website statements are accurate - but they will look at performance within those degrees. They may then look at performance in subjects relevant to medical studies. So, a Science graduate with straight HDs in a geology major who took first year biology and passed with 51% may raise some eyebrows. At very least, it may influence the interview, where evidence of interest in and engagement with medical fields will be viewed favourably. It is not that someone with a commerce degree majoring in accounting can't or won't be admitted to graduate medicine, but such a candidate (assuming their academic performance was strong) is going to need to explain / reconcile choosing two very different areas of study, and will need to offer evidence of engagement with medical fields that may be less important for a pharmacy or pre-med graduate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)