Help with subject choices for HSC. (1 Viewer)

jenjens4u

HSC
I have just completed year 11 and am looking for some advice as to what to drop.
<O:p
The subjects I am defiantly doing are: English Ad., Drama, Society and Culture and Biology. I am doing quite well in these subjects.<O:p
I currently do Maths Advanced but am considering dropping to General Maths. At the moment I am doing about average/just below in my class but am scared that dropping to General will affect my UAI. In General I will probably be able to get a band 5 or 6. <O:p
My other two subjects are Modern History and English Extension. In both I'm not doing that great - maybe average/just below. I don't really enjoy these subjects.<O:p
I am aiming for a UAI between 75 and 85.
What I would like help on is from reading the above should I drop either History or English Ex.? Is doing only 10units restricting myself too much? Also any other relevant advice would be great.<O:p
Thanks.<O:p

Simone Pip

HSC
just like darkwolfzx i do not have many subjecs in common with you, i do know that subject choices are one of the most important things and one choice can make or break you, i made mistakes in picking subjects i generally enjoy, have recieved good marks form in the past and thought would be interesting, but i was wrong as it really depends on what topics the teacher is picking, for instance i love history (turned out in year 12 i dislike ancinet but putting that aside) i thought that you know modern history i love the things you learn, but it was what i thought you learn, we did ww1 which was okay not great but okay and then we last minute were told that we were doing russia over germany which screwed me up because i personally find russia mind numbing, and os am doing shockingly and when it came time to do the cold war something i enjoyed i was not interested as russia had turned me off!

because the teacher chose so last minute it would not of helped me in subject choices, also we did a trotsky as our russian personality which made it more broing and depressing

so ask your modern teacher what topics she has planned becausei t makes all the diffrence!

and good luck hope this was some help!

historykidd

HSC
jenjens4u said:
I have just completed year 11 and am looking for some advice as to what to drop.
<o>:p</o>
The subjects I am defiantly doing are: English Ad., Drama, Society and Culture and Biology. I am doing quite well in these subjects.<o>:p</o>
I currently do Maths Advanced but am considering dropping to General Maths. At the moment I am doing about average/just below in my class but am scared that dropping to General will affect my UAI. In General I will probably be able to get a band 5 or 6. <o>:p</o>
My other two subjects are Modern History and English Extension. In both I'm not doing that great - maybe average/just below. I don't really enjoy these subjects.<o>:p</o>
I am aiming for a UAI between 75 and 85.
What I would like help on is from reading the above should I drop either History or English Ex.? Is doing only 10units restricting myself too much? Also any other relevant advice would be great.<o>:p</o>
Thanks.<o>:p</o>
Keep modern history. It is a great subject in Year 12.

sy24

HSC
N/A
Hey, I do maths 2 unit. It's absolutely terrible (for me). I used to be ok at it in year 11....then year 12 came and I couldn't do any of it. I think in the HSC I'm going to get 10% in it which will really stuff up my UAI because I do 11 units, which means 1 unit of maths will count . So in my opinion I would go down to general if you feel you are struggling with it a bit. It's my biggest regret that I didn't choose general. I suggest you talk to your teacher first though! I don't want to give you the wrong advice ;) My cousin used to do 2 unit. He was doing average. He dropped to general and ended up getting 94!!! So it was well worth it. Good luck!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)