Help with SAM numbers (1 Viewer)

Noxi10

HSC
Yer hey all, Currently in yr 12 undertaking the hsc, finding it gruelling lol. This is my first post so i'd love some help!

Curious as to how im going so far, specifically in a UAI respect, and what SAM can do for me. I've been told don't put my assessment makrs in, so what do i do?

So far an average of the assessments marks i have achieved, as a percentage after applying the correct waitings are:

English Adv - 85 Rank 6
Mathematics - 90 Rank 6ish (mark wont count as i do ext 1 and 2)
Maths Ext 1 - 80 Rank 4
Maths Ext 2 - 80 Rank 3
Chemistry - 88 Rank 2
Biology - 96 Rank 1
Physics - 85 Rank 2

As a rough estimate and help, what marks should i put into SAM? I know its still early days, but i function well knowing where im at. Is there anyone out there who understands this more than me (probably all of you haha)

I know that with my school assessments its really only the ranks that are counting, and ive looked at th packges thing, but not sure how its meant to help....

So what marks should i put into SAM?

Thanks for the help off anyone, would be muchly appreciated!

jmee

>>>>> any other information regarding this type of help for any others would be nice to post here too. Thanks
<!-- / message -->

Noxi10

HSC
Thanks heaps. yeh ive read that thread. pretty helpful. And ima constantly talking to my teachers about what they think. Still kinda not getting much of it though. Theres seems to be not much information on what to actually put into SAM at a stage like this in relation to our assessment marks. My teachers are always like you should use it to see where your at, and im the kind of person who works well knowing that.

So i shouldnt put these marks directly in? Should i put in higher or lower marks or anything like that?

Thanks heaps

Noxi10

HSC
Hmm ok. So the best thing to do i spose would be gauge how im doing atm take it off my rankings and just try to keep them as high as possible? I spose thats all i wouldve done anyway.

In that case what is the usefulness of SAM to someone in my position who hasn't completed their HSC yet other than putting in a mark that i think is possible, and trying to gauge UAI off that. Is there any reliabilty in it at all?

Thank

me121

Premium Member
HSC
You will have a better idea of your predicted HSC marks later on in the course, although as Karen said, your teachers can usually give you a very accurate prediction. You put these marks into SAM. So many people I know just put in their school assessment marks, but this is pointless because school assessment are not marked to the same standard as the HSC. (For example, generally peoples raw trial marks are much lower than their HSC mark).

What SAM does is it allows you to see roughly (usually with in 0.1 accuracy) what UAI you would have got with certain HSC marks. Although scaling changes from year to year, if you calculate it over 2001 through 2007 you will notice that your calculated UAI does not vary too much.

Noxi10

HSC
So the best use of SAM for me atm, would be to put in what marks i think i can achieve as a moderated HSC mark, to see what kind of UAI is possible? I spose theres still a bit of use for it in that case... but not much then atm. Thanks for all the help any other information that would be helpful to any1 in a situation like mine atm? Looking at my marks... what do you think id be on for?

Thanks heaps

Noxi10

HSC
Nah i work better knowing how i'm going, and therfore what i can achieve, giving me an idea of where im at.

Noxi10

HSC
Nah not me. Thats why i want to know how im going atm. And how SAM can help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)