Help with Job at the local video store. (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey,

Well with the HSC finally finished, I plan on attempting to get my 1st ever casual / part time job. I live quite near the local video store and so I thought it would be a good place to start. Although I have no experience whatsoever with these type of things. How do I actually start? Do I just go up to the counter and ask the person if there are any job vacancies?

Also, what is it like working in a video store? It looks pretty easy from what I've observed. All I see them do is sort dvd's into shelves and assist anyone in the counter who is hiring a movie. Seems pretty easy.

Any help for this would be great.

Thanks.

ASNSWR127

HSC
seriously it isnt that hard getting a job at a local small business... just aks around - I am sure you are more than qualified to swipe barcodes or whatever thhey do lol

mine on the other hand... that was hard (fuck NSW Fire Brigades)

HSC
babikakez said:
Be aware that alot of such businesses are family owned and operated and rarely have vacancies.
Do go and ask, but broaden your search as well.
lol the video store I'm talking about is Blockbuster so it would be more likely a small public business not family owned.

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
Don't be a douche. Support your local Maccas.

They need you.

Kiim2507

HSC
I guess just ask if the manager is in, and if not ask when they will be.
It's best to try and speak to the manager about these things because they have the most knowledge. If they don't have any vacancies just tell them you're interested and to contact you if anything comes up.

HSC
ConquerDiscover said:
lol the video store I'm talking about is Blockbuster so it would be more likely a small public business not family owned.
But many of those Blockbuster stores are franchises, so are likely to hire in a similar fashion to smaller businesses.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
ConquerDiscover said:
hey,

Well with the HSC finally finished, I plan on attempting to get my 1st ever casual / part time job. I live quite near the local video store and so I thought it would be a good place to start. Although I have no experience whatsoever with these type of things. How do I actually start? Do I just go up to the counter and ask the person if there are any job vacancies?

Also, what is it like working in a video store? It looks pretty easy from what I've observed. All I see them do is sort dvd's into shelves and assist anyone in the counter who is hiring a movie. Seems pretty easy.

Any help for this would be great.

Thanks.
After reading this thread, not once has the word 'CV' or 'resume' been mentioned....

Since its your first job, you'll still need to write a resume up about who you are, what you've done and how they can contact you. Best thing to do when it comes to first jobs is to spam your resume around the local shops/shopping centre/whatever and hope for the best. (More often than not, most resumes you hand out will never get a response). Otherwise, ask friends/family if they know any work available or you could try looking online (however its somewhat more difficult as too many people tend to apply for the same thing).

Good luck because getting your first job tends to be a fucking pain in the ass....

(ALSO, if you know any uni students, get them to help you access their uni career websites. They're great places to find work.)

Last edited:

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
I work at a video store, the work is pretty easy. At Blockbuster, you have to do a page of simple equations during your interview, just to make sure you've got basic math skills.
You hire/sell merchandise to customers, restock and clean the store, argue late fees with people, and ensure everything gets returned in a decent condition.
On weekends stores can get pretty busy so you're stuck behind the counter, but during the week it's a pretty cushy job.
You don't really need knowledge of every single item in the store, but it's a good idea to have a general understanding of recent movies and be able to recommend movies to people.

Just ask for the manager and hand in your resume, if someone's leaving the store they'll have a vacancy. If not, they'll keep it for later.

Good luck :)

schance

HSC
N/A
Hey does anyone know the pay rate for a videostore?

Both family run, or a francise like Blockbuster/ Video2000 etc

HoCo8

HSC
First proper job was in video store. Loved it, easy work, friendly staff, good customer interaction, free movies and drinks/snacks. Cept got payed next to nothing so moved on...

Just stroll up with a resume, ask to see manager/supervisor, if not it ask whoever to pass your resume along. But remember to go down again when manager is in for some face to face.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I tried lots of small businesses. Most do not want to hire you as they are strugglign curently and trying to retain their current staff.

Try at as many palces as possible. I tried 30+ and recently one of tose came through (one business which I had just had enough at the end of the day buut still put in my resume as it was nextdoor to the businesss I originally went to to try to get a job lol).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)