Help with HOLOCAUST (1 Viewer)

CVHS08.KLE

HSC
hey guys, im just wondering what schools of history/historians are associated with the holocaust. so far i've concluded upon Impericist and Revisionist (the credible david irving lol!) im not entirely sure.. so im seeking reasurrance LOL oO" and any tips on the Holocaust would be great :)

Zephyrio

HSC
Ummm.

Lipstadt (sp?)

Irving (lol - email him, he'll reply. With rather fervent rigour, I must say.)

Faurisson (another infamous Holocaust denier)

There are TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNEs of Holocaust historians. Search it up on a bookseller's site like amazon. you often get links to other titles published by historians.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Be careful with this sort of topic, in the sense that you shouldn't neglect the historiographical issues - they should be at the forefront, not as an afterthought to your research on the history topic itself. :)

Historiography, Historiography, Historiography!

Rog

CVHS08.KLE

HSC
thanks Zephyrio! =] atleast i know what to look at now, narrowed the list a bit (i should actually do some research myself.. LOL)

Roger TT" its Khanh.. u could have pm'd me on MSN - doubt that you'd read this but if u do - that be the case LOL

wat do u mean dont forget the historigraphical (however u spell it) issue? isn't that what im doing.. its whether or not the Holocaust existed ; Revisionists denies - the traditional ones ofcourse, claim so..

well im not even sure about schools of history but so far, i've read and understood about that much

pm if u can or post here if u like..

thanks roger rabbit xP jks

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
what he means is dont get wrapped up in the holocaust and holocaust denial and negelect the fact you are not studying the holocaust or holocaust denial, but the historiography of such

i know what you mean, but its a danger in something this deep and debatable to forget you key questions and that youre studying historiography

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Agree with the above posts, but at the same time, you should be steadily making your own judgements based on the primary and secondary sources that you decide to use.

CVHS08.KLE

HSC
o rights.. so just focus on historiography rather than REPORTING the holocaust.. is that what u guys mean..?

well i've always thought - the idea that the holocaust actually existed in contrast to it's denial IS in a way historiography itself?

i mean different historians from different schools of history derived different conclusions.. consequently, their varying interprations does partake in some aspect of historiography.. doesnt it?

please tell me if im missing the point - or if my understanding is doing me complete injustice lol!

X

xeuyrawp

Getting your head around the difference between history and historiography is difficult.

I think the best way to think about it is this: Whilst not being vague, historiographers take the broadest approach possible to their topics.

So imagine a historical event happens - someone dies on the street. Immediately, police come and do work. Media. Coroner does his autopsy. More media. Legal investigations. Media. Books written. More media. More books, more media, more speculation. Maybe a new investigation's done. More books.

Throughout this process, historians are coming and going; police, media, coroner, lawyers, book writers, investigators, are all historians.

To be a historiographer, you sit up in the clouds trying to watch it all. You're a historian like everybody else (why/how did this happen?), but you're also watching every historian and making notes as to how they form their views and why. You're also wondering why people care about this person who was shot, what kind of impact time has on the views, what methodologies are in place, what constitutes 'history' of the event, etc etc.

I like to think of history (since the big bang) as a massive machine - different sized wheels, belts, cogs, etc all interacting with each other, always changing. Historians are interested in looking at a few wheels, or even just a part of a wheel. A historiographer is wondering why the hell history's a machine in the first place :)p), why it's running, if a cog is relevant, etc.

I know it's very vague, but the best thing to do is to take a step back. If all else fails, place all your historians chronologically, and see what kind of interaction they have with everybody and everything around them. Hell, one view of history may be that historians shouldn't have a relationship with anything but primary evidence.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Getting your head around the difference between history and historiography is difficult.

I think the best way to think about it is this: Whilst not being vague, historiographers take the broadest approach possible to their topics.

So imagine a historical event happens - someone dies on the street. Immediately, police come and do work. Media. Coroner does his autopsy. More media. Legal investigations. Media. Books written. More media. More books, more media, more speculation. Maybe a new investigation's done. More books.

Throughout this process, historians are coming and going; police, media, coroner, lawyers, book writers, investigators, are all historians.

To be a historiographer, you sit up in the clouds trying to watch it all. You're a historian like everybody else (why/how did this happen?), but you're also watching every historian and making notes as to how they form their views and why. You're also wondering why people care about this person who was shot, what kind of impact time has on the views, what methodologies are in place, what constitutes 'history' of the event, etc etc.

I like to think of history (since the big bang) as a massive machine - different sized wheels, belts, cogs, etc all interacting with each other, always changing. Historians are interested in looking at a few wheels, or even just a part of a wheel. A historiographer is wondering why the hell history's a machine in the first place :)p), why it's running, if a cog is relevant, etc.

I know it's very vague, but the best thing to do is to take a step back. If all else fails, place all your historians chronologically, and see what kind of interaction they have with everybody and everything around them. Hell, one view of history may be that historians shouldn't have a relationship with anything but primary evidence.
Why are you not a mod anymore?

If you dont mind me asking? :shy:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Should we be setting the thesis out thematically and letting the historians argue their case in relation to the specific issue being discussed? And in the mix of all that, talk about their context, purposes and methodology, and your own judgement?

CVHS08.KLE

HSC
Kujah said:
Should we be setting the thesis out thematically and letting the historians argue their case in relation to the specific issue being discussed? And in the mix of all that, talk about their context, purposes and methodology, and your own judgement?

hmmm true is that the way to go about it?
ZzzZZZz lol so complicated... maybe i shudnt be doin this LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)