Help with giving quotes techniques please! (1 Viewer)

alicesayde

HSC
I can't seem to think of techniques for the following quotes...

-It was as though some huge force were pressing down upon you – something that penetrated inside your skull, battering against your brain, frightening you out of your beliefs, persuading you, almost, to deny the evidence of your senses. In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. …And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right. For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable…what then?
-One feeling they did seem to share, however, was a curious kind of elated community spirit . . . a pride in the way they and their fellow-survivors had stood up to a dreadful ordeal.”

Your help is much appreciated

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
What are ideas are you trying to explore?

I think you can mention inclusive language, erotesis (fancy way of saying rhetorical questions), ellipsis, emotive language

superesse

HSC
N/A
"It was as though some huge force were pressing down upon you" — use of metaphor, to accentuate the power the Party exerts upon its victims.

"Something that penetrated inside your skull, battering against your brain, frightening out of your beliefs" — use of violent (and sensory for that matter) language, to convey the threatening nature of the Party, as well as the traumatic and persistent nature of their methods.

"For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable... What then?" — use of rhetorical questions, to convey the confusion and the pressure the narrator feels. Also arguable use of repetition and listing, as the narrator strings out many questions, further emphasising said confusion and pressure.

Overall, the use of first-person perspective enables the audience to more readily understand what the narrator is undergoing, as when "you" is employed we often by default imagine ourselves in the narrator's position. The use of "they" also constantly reminds the audience of the collective potency the Party has. The writing style also somewhat mimics a minor stream of consciousness, since at times it appears to be a little disjointed, with multiple uses of ellipses to indicate break in thought.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Are these quotes from George Orwell's dystopian novel, "1984"? Anyways, just giving you some more ideas of possible techniques you can extract-remember, you need to extract the most relevant techniques to support the effects of the techniques you wish to convey that are relevant to what I presume are the After the Bomb module you are doing.

It was as though some huge force were pressing down upon you – something that penetrated inside your skull, battering against your brain, frightening you out of your beliefs, persuading you, almost, to deny the evidence of your senses.

Techniques include the use of accumulative language (metanoia), tautology 'skull', 'brain', the use of visual imagery, caesura, direct address etc...

In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. …And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right.For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable…what then?

Techniques include pysma (fancy word for saying the usage of successive rhetorical questions), the use of isocolon(similar sentence structure- in 'Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable?), the use of high modality language 'would announce', 'would believe it', etc...

-One feeling they did seem to share, however, was a curious kind of elated community spirit . . . a pride in the way they and their fellow-survivors had stood up to a dreadful ordeal.”

Techniques include accumulative language(metanoia), visual imagery etc...

Hope this helps a bit:) But remember, if you are doing the after the bomb period, you need to be focusing on the context and relating the quotes and techniques back to the context, don't jam pack your essay with techniques, deep conceptual analysis is very important. For that matter, perhaps consider selecting the most important part of this extract to be in your essay to ensure you craft the strongest and most compelling argument that you can.

alicesayde

HSC
Thank you girls! That helped me so much! I'll be sure to relate the quotes and techniques to context!
I really appreciate the help!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you girls! That helped me so much! I'll be sure to relate the quotes and techniques to context!
I really appreciate the help!
If you need any more help on after the bomb, and you haven't check out my three stickied threads in this sub forum-you are more than welcome to check it out-it will help you to gain a much better understanding of what you are expected to do:)

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Im surprised none of you mentioned the sibilance in the passage. What about the use of metonymy and allusion ? When I was teaching it we were discussing the roles of these techniques in the passage . You also need to explain the use of anaphora here and how it affects the pathos within the passage .

Anyway if you would like to know more about this passage and how I,as an English teacher, used these techniques with my class please feel to send a PM and I will explain further. There are more techniques too but I only mentioned some. If I can help you please feel free to contact me and I will pass on some of the teaching tips I gave my class

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Im surprised none of you mentioned the sibilance in the passage. What about the use of metonymy and allusion ? When I was teaching it we were discussing the roles of these techniques in the passage . You also need to explain the use of anaphora here and how it affects the pathos within the passage .

Anyway if you would like to know more about this passage and how I,as an English teacher, used these techniques with my class please feel to send a PM and I will explain further. There are more techniques too but I only mentioned some. If I can help you please feel free to contact me and I will pass on some of the teaching tips I gave my class
Thanks for pointing out techniques that others, including myself, have seem to miss:) Can you please point out the extract from the quote that is an example of sibilance and which is quoted by the OP-I can't seem to find it despite reading through the passage multiple times...

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Sibilance is the soft sound so u can have c and s as sibilance as well as sz . Examples from the early lines." Some ", "force " , "skull " . " beliefs " and "senses " in the initial paragraph were things we identified as having as a small role . It's not a huge technique but it is there and u can use it if you can see how it helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)