Help with Ex 1. Duh. (1 Viewer)

Kabbasi

HSC
We've gotten our first Ex Assessment. Now rather than the tempting option of asking how to do it from A to B, I'll ask how we do it from A to A2. What are the 'conventions' of classical crime fiction or any crime fiction for that matter? Does it refer to 'hard-boiled', 'soft-boiled' crime, etc? (Any other examples muchas welcome).

Also, what significant contexts have been responsible for changing these conventions?

Ooh, and is "The Sopranos" a text suitable for crime fiction? I mean, it doesn't have a set whodunnit structure or anything, but I always thought it was more affiliated with the gritty "hard-boiled" genre.

Loves it. :santa:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Kabbasi said:
We've gotten our first Ex Assessment. Now rather than the tempting option of asking how to do it from A to B, I'll ask how we do it from A to A2. What are the 'conventions' of classical crime fiction or any crime fiction for that matter? Does it refer to 'hard-boiled', 'soft-boiled' crime, etc? (Any other examples muchas welcome).

Also, what significant contexts have been responsible for changing these conventions?

Ooh, and is "The Sopranos" a text suitable for crime fiction? I mean, it doesn't have a set whodunnit structure or anything, but I always thought it was more affiliated with the gritty "hard-boiled" genre.

Loves it. :santa:
There are a wide range of sub-genres within crime fiction (hard-boiled, golden age, great detective etc.) so you'll find that they don't neccesarily share a large list of 'classical' conventions. You will however find that there is a huge amount of cross over as authors pick and choose conventions based on the socio-cultural environment (this is where values is important).

So when you look at conventions, its best to try to see if it fits into a specific sub-genre and look at how it does and then look at how it doesn't and why.

As for the contexts, you look at how events and environment influence values which influence conventions e.g Agatha Christie's text are hugely influenced by the world war which is why on the one hand they are almost paranoid (murder plots everywhere, her inane spy thrillers etc.) but on the other hand they are so 'clean' (notice how little description of blood and gore is in one of her books).

And yes, The Sopranos is a suitable text and if I had to place it anywhere it would be with the mafia and gang crime texts - which is useful to analyse because they're rather atypical when compared to most crime fiction texts from the early 1900s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)