help with enzyme prac! (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey there! yeah it's the open-ended one where you have to test the factors affecting enzymne action and I have few problems concerning with the materials I need.

i'm getting information from this site: http://www.zoo.utoronto.ca/able/volumes/vol-6/10-miller.pdf

1. WHERE CAN I GET JUNKET TABLETS? i have tried all over the place. woolies, coles and most health shops. Is there an alternative?

2. Some of the materials like catechol solution? is that obtainable from normal shops or do you have to order them online?

3. Being selfish but which one is the easiest to do? i think i might do the catalase one with the H2O2 and potato.

4. For the for the intervase on the link, I gave can I obtain anmy numerical results at all because I bought the materials by accident and reliased it can't produce any quantitave results? help here?

that should be it for now.
appreciate your help soon because this si due in a week.

= D

K

katie_tully

firstly, is your school stingy? coz we were given all this stuff.

if you cant get junket tablets from woollies there is something wrong. :s
catechol - maybe you could pee into a cup, pee contains catechol. i dont think it's readily available over the counter anywhere, can you ask the science lab teacher if theyve got anything with catechol in it?

hellopian

HSC
Woolworths etc. should stock them in like the dessert aisles, but apparently I read somewhere that they are removing them from stock or something..?

An alternative to the junket tablets is rennet. I think it comes in liquid form and I'm not too sure when you can buy it from, but since it is commonly used in cheese to coagulate the milk I'd suggest trying a 'cheese' store or online from a 'cheese' store. I also don't think that catchetol is ready over the counter.

I guess the easier one just depends on how readily available the ingredients are.

Were you told how to obtain these ingredients by your school?, because it's a bit unfair for them to firstly not supply you with them, then not tell you how to obtain them.

mzduxx2006

HSC
CheeseHelpLine said:
hey there! yeah it's the open-ended one where you have to test the factors affecting enzymne action and I have few problems concerning with the materials I need.

i'm getting information from this site: http://www.zoo.utoronto.ca/able/volumes/vol-6/10-miller.pdf

1. WHERE CAN I GET JUNKET TABLETS? i have tried all over the place. woolies, coles and most health shops. Is there an alternative?

2. Some of the materials like catechol solution? is that obtainable from normal shops or do you have to order them online?

3. Being selfish but which one is the easiest to do? i think i might do the catalase one with the H2O2 and potato.

4. For the for the intervase on the link, I gave can I obtain anmy numerical results at all because I bought the materials by accident and reliased it can't produce any quantitave results? help here?

that should be it for now.
appreciate your help soon because this si due in a week.

= D
FIRST OFF UR SCHOOLS SHYT CAUSE MY SCHOOL PROVIDED ME WITH ALL THIS.

second of all ur experiment is too complicated. MY one was as follows

FOR PH EFFECT

3 test tubes.

all with 5 ml starch. 1-2 drops iodine. 2-3 drops of amylase (enzyme) 1 tube is the control. the other tube has 1-3 drops HCL with the other tube having 1-3 drops of ammonia. observe results.

FOR TEMPERATURE EFFECT

3 test tubes. all with 5 ml starch. 1-2 drops iodine. 1-2 drops amylase. one tube is control. one tube is placed in a hot water bath and the last tube is placed in a beacker with ice/water/salt (to keep it extremly cold) observe results

FOR SUBSTRATE EFFECT

3 test tubes.

all with 1-2 drops iodine and amylase. 1 test tube has 5ml starch (control). one has 10ml starch and one has 2ml starch (less substrate). observe results.

HSC
haha thanks guys! school is lame. ever since year 8/9 I had to get my own materials for the open ended tasks.

guess what they provide me? A THERMOMETER! JUST ONE.

thanks for your replies.

dream-team99

HSC
hey jst a message about the junket tablets they only sell them in western Australia
our school has to order them from there
you're skool should provide you with all the materials that you require, including the junket tablet lolzzz:wave:

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
They sell junket powder at Franklins, i work there.

$9.49 for a little tub which is waaay more than enough.

IN my opinion, junket is really easy as an experiment...all you need is milk.

Oh and by the way, franklins stores junket behind the service desk because it keeps getting stolen.

Perhaps that's why you can't find it.

Good luck with your experiment, I've been stressing over mine.:)

kirst21k

HSC
mzduxx2006 said:
FIRST OFF UR SCHOOLS SHYT CAUSE MY SCHOOL PROVIDED ME WITH ALL THIS.

second of all ur experiment is too complicated. MY one was as follows

FOR PH EFFECT

3 test tubes.

all with 5 ml starch. 1-2 drops iodine. 2-3 drops of amylase (enzyme) 1 tube is the control. the other tube has 1-3 drops HCL with the other tube having 1-3 drops of ammonia. observe results.

FOR TEMPERATURE EFFECT

3 test tubes. all with 5 ml starch. 1-2 drops iodine. 1-2 drops amylase. one tube is control. one tube is placed in a hot water bath and the last tube is placed in a beacker with ice/water/salt (to keep it extremly cold) observe results

FOR SUBSTRATE EFFECT

3 test tubes.

all with 1-2 drops iodine and amylase. 1 test tube has 5ml starch (control). one has 10ml starch and one has 2ml starch (less substrate). observe results.

for pH and substrate we used lamb liver (enzyme: catalase)

for substrate we used concentrations of hydrogen peroxide and for pH we used pH buffer solutions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)