Help with disconnection (1 Viewer)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I use the ozemail dial up isp which disconnects you after 4 hours. On my old comp using win98, the dial up disconnects as expected after 4 hours - the modem hangs up and the icon (2 computers) in the systray disappears.

However, since I've switched to a new comp using winxp, about 80% of the time, the comp crashes after 4 hours instead of disconnecting - the modem doesn't hang up (even though the connection is already dead due to ozemail hanging up) and the entire system freezes with the only way to restart cutting off the computer's power supply. However if I disconnect manually (right clicking on the icon in the systray and clicking on disconnect), the modem hangs up accordingly and everything is fine.

I'm using a 56K Lucent Win Modem (COM3) connected to a PPP type server with TCP/IP and QoS packet scheduler protocols with hardware flow control and modem error control and modem compression enabled.

I've tried playing around with some of these settings but so far to no avail.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Huy

HSC
N/A
the entire system freezes with the only way to restart cutting off the computer's power supply.
You can hold down your power button for 3-4 seconds and this will cut the power. You can always push the restart button as well. (I hope this is what you mean, rather than "flicking the switch" behind the power supply unit).
and QoS packet scheduler protocols with hardware flow control and modem error control and modem compression enabled.
You say you have tried to play around with some of these settings. I'm unsure about the controls and compression, but have you tried enabling (or disabling) these controls?

My initial reaction is to disable QoS packet scheduler on your network card in use.

Get into your Network Connections (via Control Panel or otherwise)
Locate your connection (OzEmail 56K) and right-click, properties.
Now uninstall QoS.

See if this makes any difference. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I think the driver may be the cause of it.

Did you let winXP install the drivers automatically?

If so, remove it and install the drivers again using those given by the manufacturer.

What happens when it crashes? Do you get a "no signal" on your monitor?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
lol my comp doesn't have a restart button, although I'll try holding down the power button the next time it crashes, up till now I've been flicking the switch at the back of the comp...

the windows device driver and the one that came with the modem seem to be exactly the same

when it crashes the entire screen just freezes, can't move the mouse pointer, can't do ctrl+alt+del etc...

I'll try playing with the network and modem settings some more...

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
lol my comp doesn't have a restart button
Don't you have two buttons at the front of your chassis? One for powering ON and the other for restarting the computer.
I'll try holding down the power button the next time it crashes
This is far safer than your current method. If you down down the power button for 3-4 seconds (it could be 5 seconds) it will "safely" cut the power off. For some computers, simply pushing the power button (the one you use to turn on the PC) will be the restart (reset) button, so you might want to try that. This all depends on your Power Options (scheme) as described in Control Panel.
up till now I've been flicking the switch at the back of the comp
I advise against doing this. You should never have to flick the switch at the back of your power supply unit, always hold down the power-on button if you want to cut the power off from the system.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
QoS packet scheduler is only needed if you want to use ICS (internet connection scharing)

So you can saftely disable it.

Although, i doubt it woudl be causeing any problems.

My reaction would be to download/install the latest drivers for your computer system and uninstall/install your modem drivers.
It sounds like a driver issue.

is a roflcopter
HSC
jeez suvat
you got this very good fast comp with lcd and shit

but no reset button
lolol

-X-

HSC
N/A
I reckon its a driver problem. Try the default windows XP driver or manufactures driver. If that doesnt work, try it on a different machine. I had the exact same modem as yours and had similar problems (sometimes wouldn't connect unless reinstalling the drivers etc...). Different drivers / different computers but didn't solve the problem so i just replaced it. Good Luck. :)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Would internet connection sharing still work if I uninstalled QoS?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Suvat
Would internet connection sharing still work if I uninstalled QoS?
Yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)