Help With Belonging Speech ! (1 Viewer)

2009-Turner

HSC
Just need some assistance in the ideas of my speech. I'm doing 'The Red Tree' by Shaun Tan, 'My People' by the presets and 'As You Like It' by william Shakespeare as the three related texts- the task and speech is as follows:

We have been assigned an assessment task focusing on our speaking and writing skills.
TASK:
You are a journalist attending a conference on Belonging. You have been asked to speak at the book launch, during the conference, of your book entitled 'Aspects of Belonging'.

Speech:
This is a formal presentation. In your speech, evaluate the ways in which the concept of belonging is represented in three of your texts of belonging.

Any help will be greatfully accepted :headbang:

ajay098

HSC
basically, you find techniques ( it shows ur depth of knowledge of the texts) then talk about its impact and evaluate its impact = how it shows the aspect of belonging.

make sure you check how much you need to talk about ur prescribed text and the related text and do they link through the aspect or thru contrast and similarities.

u r lucky, mine was both texts related to one aspect.

i think u can choose any aspect you want.

hope it helps!

= ]

madelinegrace

HSC
As you like it -

( Who does the play belong to? Shakespeare - the audience. )

The concept of belonging is represented through place -
The forest of Arden is juxtaposed with the court
The forest of Arden is used as place where the characters find their identity : signifying belonging to themselves
The use of disguise - represents both not belonging and an attempt to belong ( belonging to place )

Minor themes: Inheritance - is ownership ( belonging )
Belonging to family - The brothers ( dukes ) against the social norm, do not belong with one another - at the beginning

Read the speech in the last section.
The scene where Rosalind and the other characters return and are fed ( looked after ) signifies the acceptance of their return and how they now belong ( to the court )

I hope that helps a little. I have lots more if you want.

madelinegrace

HSC
Okay, well i'll post some more info about it tonight.
Are you about to do mid year exams?
Or have you already done them.. just out of curiosity?

madelinegrace

HSC
As You Like It (Shakespeare’s comedies)

Shakespeare’s early comedies were broad farces and contain physical slapstick scenes, and many of the characters are exaggerated stereotypes. However his later comedies such as ‘As You Like It’ are a very complex mixture of many comedic styles.

Often, the central character is a woman, strong, independent and believable, such as Rosalind in ‘As You Like It’.

The comedies deal with human relationships, and particularly with romantic love, and the humour comes from mistakes, misunderstandings, coincidences and the accidents, which we can all recognise from our own lives. The plays are also reflections on human behaviour in the same way as the tragedies are, but the consequences are happy in the end, rather than fatal.

http://web.mac.com/josh_banks/iWeb/...sts/18038F91-4C0D-4AFF-8A91-524F5377B51C.html

That's some info i found in a drama book. I think it parts of it can work really well in an introduction.

The website there is REALLY good. It talks about belonging in 'As You Like It' from the perspective of the actor who played Jacques. Go to it.

I can't find where i saved my speech to. But i shall try.

Good luck :)

2009-Turner

HSC
i tried accessin that ink u rovided- but couldnt get it to open. 'page does not exist'...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)