Help!!what will be like getting in + doing TV production@Wagga Wagga?? (1 Viewer)

feixin

HSC
Hi everyone:) ,

id like to ask about a few things. thx for helping !!
first,just wondering is it very hard to get into bach of TV production @ Wagga Wagga??
ignore the UAI (coz for this part i think i can get around 90) what is the "additional criteria" like for it??
(what sort of things do they ask for?? portfolio,relevant experience or interview? does it help if i have some DV production to hand in, say 3 mins video that kinda stuff)
and how to get the industry experience, i just cant figure the ways, any brilliant ideas?

and for the course itself,what does it like? lots of filming,editing &fun?
(i assume it's like this) or is it quite hard&competitive?

the last question is about the employment, on CSU course guide it says 95% graduates get a job in TV industry, just want to know if its really that easy...

PS.I've heard some rumours about people who are doing this course...is that true about being gothic thing?(no offence, but that worrys me a bit)

again thx for help!!

Last edited:

leeha

HSC
my mates doing it and he never did the additional stuff to get in - just left it in his top preferences for uac and got in. it was a fluke weird thing. hes down there and loving it. hes also not a goth haha

feixin

HSC
leeha said:
my mates doing it and he never did the additional stuff to get in - just left it in his top preferences for uac and got in. it was a fluke weird thing. hes down there and loving it. hes also not a goth haha
ok,im a little relieved now :)

thx!

trompettiiste

Hey - I'm currently studying 2nd year TV down at Wagga - so here...

feixin said:
first,just wondering is it very hard to get into bach of TV production @ Wagga Wagga??
Not really...as long as you have a passion for TV you'll get in

feixin said:
what is the "additional criteria" like for it??
Basically if you've made any videos send them in with your application or interview. Don't worry about industry experience or anything like that. Again, if you have a passion for TV you'll get in. Half the people in the course didn't submit anything.

feixin said:
and for the course itself,what does it like? lots of filming,editing &fun?
Very fun! First lesson you'll be in the awesome TV studio running around with expensive cameras, or switching cameras in the control rooms. You'll do a live studio kids show (4 eps) in first year, and also produce/edit docos/dramas/films. So much fun - you learn all aspects of TV Production. So yes lots of filming, lots of editing! Best course ever.

feixin said:
is it quite hard&competitive?
Not really that hard and its not too competitve at all - all your assignments are group assignments so you really get to know everyone and work with them.

feixin said:
PS.I've heard some rumours about people who are doing this course...is that true about being gothic thing?
HA! Where did you hear this????? I think there may be one goth in first year but there are none in my year or third year....Don't worry we're all pretty normal people!

feixin

HSC
thx volvo88,very detail ^ ^

im really looking forward to it now!!
(that makes me hope hsc can come quicker O_O)

:) ~i have a question for the assignment part, are they all group work? No exams?? (ive heard something for this but not sure)

trompettiiste

Ok for the assignments;

First Semester, First Year
-2 minute silent fiction video to be edited in iMovie (groups of 4)
-3 minute documentary edited in iMovie (groups of 4)
-22 short blog entries reviewing movies seen in class and cinema (for Screen Studies)
-2 essays on film (Screen Studies)
-1 short multiple choice test on Television Technology
-Assessment of proficiency of roles in studio work over 4 weeks
+ elective assignments

(sounds a lot but it's not!!!!!)

Second Semester, First Year
-30s and 15s TV commercial, edit on Avid (groups of 4)
-short news report, edit on Final Cut Pro (groups of 4)
-Studio assessment on roles in production of 4 episodes of a live studio kids show (100% of assessment - includes production of location segments for show)
-Law subject has lots of little exercises and assignments
+ elective stuff

Second Year
-6 minute doco
-Fiction single camera studio shoot
-2 essays on media history
-1st exam!!! on media history

+ whatever second semester entails

These assignments may obviously change a little by the time you join us. For example, the two minute silent video the first years this year used iMovie and we had to edit in camera (ewww).

Feel free to email me at andrew.varvel@gmail.com if you have any other questions

AV

feixin

HSC
volvo88 said:
Ok for the assignments;

First Semester, First Year
-2 minute silent fiction video to be edited in iMovie (groups of 4)
-3 minute documentary edited in iMovie (groups of 4)
-22 short blog entries reviewing movies seen in class and cinema (for Screen Studies)
-2 essays on film (Screen Studies)
-1 short multiple choice test on Television Technology
-Assessment of proficiency of roles in studio work over 4 weeks
+ elective assignments

(sounds a lot but it's not!!!!!)

Second Semester, First Year
-30s and 15s TV commercial, edit on Avid (groups of 4)
-short news report, edit on Final Cut Pro (groups of 4)
-Studio assessment on roles in production of 4 episodes of a live studio kids show (100% of assessment - includes production of location segments for show)
-Law subject has lots of little exercises and assignments
+ elective stuff

Second Year
-6 minute doco
-Fiction single camera studio shoot
-2 essays on media history
-1st exam!!! on media history

+ whatever second semester entails

These assignments may obviously change a little by the time you join us. For example, the two minute silent video the first years this year used iMovie and we had to edit in camera (ewww).

Feel free to email me at andrew.varvel@gmail.com if you have any other questions

AV

It seems lots of fun!! :)

and BTW is it good to have a DV and laptop with me when im going to uni?
i havent had any experience on editting, will it be ok??

Last edited:

SpHan

HSC
Hey!
i did this course for 3 weeks at the start of this year. i sort of didnt choose it my parents like forced me to go to uni n i randomly picked it. sad but true. anyway i left coz i really needed this year to think about what i really want to do in life (good decision i think lol) and as it turns out tv is not what i would find fulfilling. Thats not to say the course is not good on the contrary, i think the course is brilliant and the best way to crack into teh industry because the lecturers have so many contacts and its really really hands on like lots of operating cameras as soon as you get into it.
as for selection and getting into the course, well i rang up the uni 2 weeks before the start of o week, asked if tehre was any openings and they said yep just apply through uac and i got a late round offer. there were kids in teh course who got a uai of 45 so i think with a 90 you have no concerns lol
any other questions feel free to ask!
Han

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)