Help! Urgent advice needed (1 Viewer)

kingbuddha

Hi I'm really confused about this syllabus point for world cities

"the operation of global networks"

All i've been tought is like airline connections and i doubt thats all... could somebody please explain to me with pref. examples

Also

"the relationships of dominance and dependence between world cities and other urban centres" is another area wich i'm unsure of as to how to answer

And lastly does world cities refer only to the 4 dominant ones - NY, London and Tokyo and Paris or does it include others like Sydney, Singapore, LA, Toronto etc

Thanks in advance

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
the operation of global networks also includes telecommunications, the three sub-systems the Asian subsystem, the European Subsystem, the american subsystem. It is basically referring to how they interact and relay information and bla bla bla. The dominant world cities in each sub system/core are New York, Tokyo, London.

Dominance and dependance: dominance refers to the power and control exerted by an urban place and the spatial extent of that control. Eg Sydney is dominant in the Ausrtralian national system. Dependance refers to how an urban place relys on an urban place further up the heirarchy for information and control, the culture and ideas etc

The THREE dominant cities are London Tokyo and New York. They are at the top of the heirarchy. the others are further down the heirarchy

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
thats fine mate. if you have any other queries i might be able to help you. good luck!!

Tut Tut

....just thought i'd add

ok well i agree with lukebennett on the second point he makes about dominance and dependence....
however, i think it is also important to note, in regards to the operation of global networks, the importance of the interaction between the numerous world cities, and also the network formed with mega cities and simply large cities.
The network refers to a web of communications such as media, financial, political, entertainment, trade and transport between cities of the modern world (world cities). The dot point basically means that u need to know how all the world cities connect, what links them together, what makes them so special as a group.

anyways, i hope that made sense!!! good luck with the exam!

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
id also say infrastructure, tnc's, global communication networks, any travel like ports, airports and anything that linked world cities

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)