HELP! Uni entry! (1 Viewer)

aaronnx

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, im confused with the way UNI's look at "assumed knowledge" when applying.

I want to enter the University of Sydney studying "Animal Veterinary and Bioscience". The assumed knowledge is Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology would help. Im currently studying: 2U, Adv Eng, Biology, Physics, Senior science.

Does this mean I cannot apply for the course? I've done work experience at veterinary clinics and RSPCA's. Will I still be able to get in?

Thanks for any help :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You can apply, you might just not do so well in chem units.

I do engg and do physics which has HSC physics as assumed knowledge and I didn't do physics in the HSC.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
OP, google is your friend. Why not be a little more proactive and google what you want to know before posting here? Or even better, contact the university itself, they might be able to give you more insight into what you should do.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
OP, google is your friend. Why not be a little more proactive and google what you want to know before posting here? Or even better, contact the university itself, they might be able to give you more insight into what you should do.
That's stupid. The uni would just lie and say they shouldn't do the course or should spend ~$500 on a bridging course that probably won't help that much.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Uhm, maybe that's the best idea?
No, it's not at all.

I didn't do Physics or Engineering Studies in HSC and I'm doing Engineering and currently on HD marks in both Physics and Engineering Computing, and the Uni Advisors told me I should the Physics bridging course for Physics because I might struggle with PHYS1001, but I didn't do it, and I know people that did the bridging course and say it didn't help at all.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So just to be clear, the subjects you did in the HSC have no bearing on whether or not you will be accepted unless it is listed as a prerequisite (this is quite rare these days).

bigbirdbanana

HSC
Not having the 'assumed knowledge' will not affect whether you get accepted at all. As for once you're there, i just had a quick look at your degree and it turns out you can do fundamental chem for your first year chem units. Fundamentals has no assumed knowledge for it so you'll be fine :) If you need the extra (mainly irrelevant applications) knowledge of the higher level, there's a free course you can do over the summer after first year to catch you up, but you shouldn't even need that for your course :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Not having the 'assumed knowledge' will not affect whether you get accepted at all. As for once you're there, i just had a quick look at your degree and it turns out you can do fundamental chem for your first year chem units. Fundamentals has no assumed knowledge for it so you'll be fine :) If you need the extra (mainly irrelevant applications) knowledge of the higher level, there's a free course you can do over the summer after first year to catch you up, but you shouldn't even need that for your course :)
Bridging courses are not free.

Examine

same
HSC
Because this is not a forum designed to do that sort of stuff right?

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
in reply to OP

it will not affect your acceptance into the course
basically it means that it you didn't do the assumed knowledge in HSC, you'll start uni and during your classes all you'll be thinking is "lol wtf are you on about mr lecturer?"

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
in reply to OP

it will not affect your acceptance into the course
basically it means that it you didn't do the assumed knowledge in HSC, you'll start uni and during your classes all you'll be thinking is "lol wtf are you on about mr lecturer?"
But then you'll be smart enough to catch up and be fine.

I just laughed a lot during physics when the lecturers were like "But you did that in high school so I'm not going to go into that" *skips a bunch of stuff*, but I'm fine. I even help shitter people with physics. *cough, cough*

aaronnx

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the responses guys, finally cleared this topic up :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)