• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help teh newbie (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
͂߂܂āB Nancy łB ǂ 낵_B ^__^

i have some small questions about Japanese..

1/ , , , , - are these all pronounced as a cross between L and R, or are some more R-ish than others?

2/ i know in ł, the U at the end is almost silent. is this always the case? cos ive been pronouncing "ǂ 낵_" as "doozo yoroshiku"

3/ is it me or is ‚ꂢ܂ really hard to pronounce?

4/ is there a difference between _A܂ and A܂, besides the extra long "A" sound?

_肪Ƃ ܂ ^^

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
errrm lets see
1/ lar, li, looh, leh, lor
2/ i don't understand what you mean sorry :p
3/ watch more jap drama with hot jap people and it'll come naturally :p
4/ i'm not sure, but when there's the 'a' it sounds more hesitant like you're thinking about saying mata. whereas the shorter one just sounds like a very casual "see you! "

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
hmmm
um for 2/ when you say "desu", you pronounce as "des" without the "u", so why dont you do it for "doozo yoroshiku"

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The Japanese "R"
This one is considered really hard, but it isn't really. For the moment just pronounce it like a hard R (these don't feature in English, try emulating a trilled [romance] R like in Spanish or Italian). Very soon you'll hear some real Japanese people say it and pick up the proper intonation, but it's often said that only Native speakers can ever do it properly (so don't worry about it too much). :)

Silent Syllables
Basically Japanese is fast. Sometimes it's faster to drop weak vowels like u (des') and i (yorosh'ku), you just figure out the system with time.

When SU is at the end of a word (mostly VERBS, desu --> des' and ~masu --> ~mas') the U is silent. When SHI is the penultimate (last-but-one) syllable in a word, the I is usually silent (~mashita --> mash'ta).

Shitsurei Shimasu
Again you'll get the hang of it in time. Just do it slowly at first, like a new Piano piece. If you really can't handle that chunk of sibilants go for sumimasen (commonly pronounced as suimasen).

Ja vs J
Personal intonation really. If you've just jumped out of a couch and want to end your encounter on a lively note you're more likely to say "Ja' - mata ne!" (where ' indicates glottal stop). If you've just had a leisurely coffee and are slowly pulling yourself out of a confy sofa, the more drawn out "J, mata n?" will cpome more naturally.

Of course, the same could be said relative to one's mood, or even overall personality. For all intents and purposes, however, they are equivalent.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
The Japanese "R"
This one is considered really hard, but it isn't really. For the moment just pronounce it like a hard R (these don't feature in English, try emulating a trilled [romance] R like in Spanish or Italian). Very soon you'll hear some real Japanese people say it and pick up the proper intonation, but it's often said that only Native speakers can ever do it properly (so don't worry about it too much). :)

Silent Syllables
Basically Japanese is fast. Sometimes it's faster to drop weak vowels like u (des') and i (yorosh'ku), you just figure out the system with time.

When SU is at the end of a word (mostly VERBS, desu --> des' and ~masu --> ~mas') the U is silent. When SHI is the penultimate (last-but-one) syllable in a word, the I is usually silent (~mashita --> mash'ta).

Shitsurei Shimasu
Again you'll get the hang of it in time. Just do it slowly at first, like a new Piano piece. If you really can't handle that chunk of sibilants go for sumimasen (commonly pronounced as suimasen).

Ja vs J
Personal intonation really. If you've just jumped out of a couch and want to end your encounter on a lively note you're more likely to say "Ja' - mata ne!" (where ' indicates glottal stop). If you've just had a leisurely coffee and are slowly pulling yourself out of a confy sofa, the more drawn out "JE mata nE" will cpome more naturally.

Of course, the same could be said relative to one's mood, or even overall personality. For all intents and purposes, however, they are equivalent.
Japanese is fast he says.....man its so fluid and so so so AHHHHHHHH *tears hair out*

I found hira quite easy, and the sentence structure is kinda logical if you think about it, and is very similar to our own english, the only difference being, we don't really follow the rules of english too much, its rather a ..."suggestion" for lack of a better word, whereas the ɂق is quite strict on rules...for the time being :) im sure ill learn to break the rules soon :D

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
japanese is more difficult than french.. i didn't think that was possible...

</random observation>

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Japanese starts hard and gets easier. Romance languages are the opposite. Stick with it and it evens out.

is a roflcopter
HSC
oi lads
recommend me some hot japanese dramas with super hot megawow jap chicks gogogo

look at the sig everyone
and go WTF

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lol

its japan...id go WTF but ive sen worse :)

or should that be NIHON!! :D

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by eviltama
japanese is more difficult than french.. i didn't think that was possible...

</random observation>
yeah it is aye.. i think learning a new alphabet system is hard

Originally posted by AsyLum
lol

its japan...id go WTF but ive sen worse :)

or should that be NIHON!! :D
hawhawhaw... what have you learnt so far?
we're meant to finish hiragana by next week, and we've started on greetings like "hajimemashite, bla bla desu, doozo yoroshiku" and my new favourite sentence "`͂ǂ炩@‚Ⴂ܂".. im not sure if thats right but it means "where are you from"

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
we're third week and already doing kanji and expected to know hira and kata...i know hira easy, kata is a bitch since its only been 3 days :|

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Katakana should be nothing to you!

It's just Hiragana with corners! Seriously, once you've got hiragana, katakana will just become second nature. Give it another week.

(note this method of throwing you in the deep end gets results - you learn by being forced to know everything immediately, and soon enough you will)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i dont know all my hiragana yet!!!
and this week he starts eliminating romaji!!!

what is the jap word for "f*cked"? :|

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Newbie
oi lads
recommend me some hot japanese dramas with super hot megawow jap chicks
gogogo

look at the sig everyone
and go WTF
Is that the Shock Boys?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
haha don't worry kids, i still don't know all my katakana and i did jap for the hsc :|

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
ooh, excellent

ok another question. is there a difference between "~ ~_}" and "~ ~Ȃł" (i think thats how you write it)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)