help:taking a break from work for xmas? (1 Viewer)

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
hey guys
i have been at my place of work since feb this year and wanted to take about 5 weeks off from work at christmas..actually this was planned long before i even had this job...now that it is getting close to xmas...wondering how to ask for that time off?...like will they keep my job for me when i return?..and if not should i start looking for another job now?...
the only reason i have this problem is because another chick was askedby her doc to take 2weeks bedrest for something and she wanted them to keep her job but they said they couldn't guarantee her shifts when she came back...no one really liked her plus the boss was looking for a reason to fire her....
i'm not like her and have rescued my boss when we were very short staffed so i think i am in his good books...but still i feel like i will take a holiday and then end up with no job, uni starting and then totally broke...
any ideas? on what to do?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
I'm taking 11 weeks off from work at Christmas.
Are you casual or part time?
You should give like 3 months notice if you are on a contract.. if you are a casual it should not really matter... but to be nice and ensure your job is there when you return, give notice now if you know the exact dates (so they can find someone to replace you).

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
say you need to go overseas for a family wedding, see relatives, etc...i might be doing something similar if i do summer school.

but the thing is you cannot be spotted.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If you work in retail part-time they are extremely unlikley to approve any leave in december.

If you're casual then just say you can't. They can't make you, they can fire you, but who cares? Get another job, 12months is loads of experience.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
i am going overseas for a family thing...from dec16 to jan 16 ..i'm casual /part time... ( not on any probation anymore)
when i get back how do i approach them just rock up and say "hey i'm here i can work whenever"??

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
WW it would likely have been illegal for them to have not kept a position for you especially if you could prove the knee problem was in any way work related.

Choco bad news is that as a perm-part-time employee you have to request leave, a request that may well be turned down. If you go anyway they would be well within their right to sack you. As legally speaking you have failed to turn up to rostered (and signed off on) shifts. If they do not grant leave and you take it, I can virtually guarantee that you will be fired.

To pre-empt this if they refuse it may be a better idea to resign (reference will probably be abit better to), if you decide to do this then you will have to give either one or two weeks notice check you're awa/enterprise agreement/award/contract.

In future ask for leave as early as possible. Large companies (that operate through christmas) usually request all leave applications to be in already.

As a last ditch idea, find a friend who can work you're shifts and present this to your boss as an alternative while you are away. Only really work if the friend is experienced in the area, no company wants to train people if they don't have to. The danger with this strategy is that the employer likes your friend better and sacks you.....

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
i know that my shifts will be able to be covered cosi know for a fact that two other guys are willing to do my shifts since they are on holidays aswell and wouldn't mind that extra cash ...yeah i dunno when to ask my boss about the leave....is now too early?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it depends how organised your workplace is. Now isn't too early if they prefer lots of notice. It is too early if it's going to make them confused and pissed off start thinking they can take you off the roster from now.

I think mention it to them and tell them you will give formal notice closer to the time.

HSC
u prolly shouldda told them as soon as u knew, but meh. im going away at xmas and my boss wasnt happy, but he was glad that i told him with notice (like i gave him 4 months notice)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Ask for leave....if they say no just quit. Or say, look I'm really sorry but I have no choice, if I cannot get leave I will have to resign, can I contact you when I return to see if you are looking for staff? Because maybe they will need someone and if you have been a good worker and you are already trained they would probably be very happy to have you back if they need staff.

Are you in Sydney? There are plenty of jobs in Sydney, you will be fine. I have done this multiple times to go home for holidays lol.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
true thanks guys i think i'll tell them next week..yeah btw i am in sydney...its just that finding jobs that fit into uni schedule is hard...and my place of work was cool with the whole uni tt since many ppl are at uni at work too..actually i love working there just don't wanna go somewhere more bitchy! you see i work with almost all guys and its soo much better than females!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i'm currently taking time off to (hah) study for the hsc and i've already given them my notice for my nov-dec schoolies leave and january leave. i'm casual so they can't do shit except fire me and if they do, well, who cares? i've been there nearly a year and it's not like i'm attached to the place

just ask at least 3 weeks in advance if you're casual and taking a significant amount of time off

Skeeta

HSC
Yeah im going overseas for a month, i told my employer as soon as i found out. I just gave him a list of NA's

He hasnt said anything but im only casual anyway and after that i can work full time for nearly a month so i dont think it'l b a prob

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
i asked a guy at work what the deal is with annual leave..he said i have to ask payroll whether i have anydays off or not....can't i just tell my boss instead and leave the bothering of head office?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
You're accumulated annual leave should be displayed on your payslip.

IF your employer gives you leave and IF they allow you to use the annual leave (they don't have to till you've been there a year or more) then you will be paid: your rate x however many hours of leave you have eg $12 x 50 = $300

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
annual leave is given to full time employees. arent you casual?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Part-time employees acrue annual leave at a pro-rata rate to full time employees.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
so how do i find that out? yes i'm part time/casual

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)