Help! Stuck on Probability question!!! (1 Viewer)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
OK im trying to study but but but but im only up to chapter 4 in the 'access to genral maths' text book and im stuck on probability. And im stuck on this question 5 of chapter 4:4 that says:

'when a remote control garage door system was being installed the tradesperson explaind why the remote control opened only the door of this garage and not the door of the niehgbours garage. 'ten switches are used on the control unit', he said. 'each one of the switches is in the ON or OFF position. For security , i randomly decide which swiches to have in what setting'

How many diffferent remote control settings are possible with this ten switch system??

arghhhhhh!!!! i keep getting it wrong - the answer is meant to be 1024 but i keep getting 90!!! WHY? what am i doing wrong?

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
there are 2 possible positions for each of the 10 switches right? well thats 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2= 2^10=1024

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
Yeah the question sounds heaps wordy. So involved, yet so freakin simple! It always seems like there may be a trick... but its crazy! I got it right though! HEHEHE :D Thanks for posting the question, cause it makes my tired brain think... :D

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
2 to the power of 10 should give you the answer.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
FUCK im so dumb!!!!!! How simple was that question arghhhhhhh!!! for sum stupid reason i kept doing:

10 x 9 =90

or something stupid like that arghhhhhhh fuck fuck fuck fuck im so sillly

oh well thanks heaps guys!!!!

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
Lol just keep doing those kinda questions and you'll have it down in no time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)