Help! Ruby moon/ 7 stages essay (1 Viewer)

La Chica

HSC
hey,
I need to write a 2000 word essay. The question is

“The weakness of Australian Drama is that it relies on stereotyped characters to explore serious social and personal issues.”

And it has to relate to ruby moon and 7 stages of grieving. I would really love some help, if you have any ideas or notes can you please post them. Thanx

riotgurl182

HSC
this is a heaps easy question. ruby moon shoes stereotypes within society so talk bout that and in 7 stages in some scenes it stereotypes aboriginals

superstar727

HSC
i only know about 7 stages and i did it last term so i dont remember much but im thinking of something that probably wont make sense...

if you think about it you need stereotypes to stop the faults in them
in 7sog she takes on different aboriginal stereotypes in order to make us see the issues from different sides
like the bit where she is talking about the lady that goes to the funerals
and how she says something along the lines of "i never knew my family, they might be one of them, and if not i still get a good cry" (you'll have to look that up to get the correct wording)
this helps us see an effect the stolen generation had. this lady never knew her family but its not just that, she spends all her time going to funerals because she doesnt know if the person in the wooden box is her mother/sister father/brother ect. it is really sad, she doesnt move on like people think she might, she cries at the funeral for someone she doesnt know but might have if the stolen generation never happened.

if you need any more help or opinions from me feel free to pm me
i hope helped
=)

galwal

HSC
why do your hsc when you can't even write a simple essay?

s2-gemzy-s2

HSC
talk about the reliance on stereotypical fairytale characters in ruby moon and how it is a fractured fairytale
and the stereotype of bad parenting. as well as all the different stereotypes withing the neighbourhood, the crazy baby sitter girl, the wierd maybe peadophile imitator (sid) the crazy lady that talks to a fake parrot. they are all different stereotypes of crazy.

also
seven stages

stereotypes of aboriginals. this play basically just tells the life story of a bunch of aboriginal people andit confirms many stereotypes, things like they eat rice, they are big families all that sort of stuff the play relies on the stereotypes of the aboriginal race. ETC.

good luck :)

Mithead

HSC
Your essay needs to focus on 2 things:

1. DO these plays use stereotypes, and how?

AND

2. Is this a WEAKNESS?

See I would personally argue that while Ruby Moon does use stereotyped characters in certain sections, it is hardly a weakness as it adds to the depth and confronting character of the play. It isnt enough to simply show that there are stereotypes in both of the plays, the question is really directing you to the audience response to these characters and its effect on the integrity of the social and political issues discussed.

aid1

HSC
every single character of ruby moon is a stereotype sonny jim is the stereotypical war vetren sid the stereotypical clown pedophile (although never proven and can also represents inocents amidst slime) dr ogle typical mad scientist sylvie typical over the top mother veronica vale the stereotypical singer / slut ray is the only not so over the top character

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)