Help! Political Management Theory (1 Viewer)

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
I need a bit of help. I've been looking over some notes, textbooks etc. But I still don't understand what Political Management Theory is :(

I understand the Scientific and Behavioural theories just not Political.

Can anyone give me a business example of political theory, what it is and what it does. I need some help drumming it into my head.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
ok Opium and pig_93
Ill answer it 4 u :)

Political management theory:
It uses power and influence and its management style is of negotiating and bargaining as said in the syllabus dotpoint. Its structure is of coalitions

If u didnt get that read below:
Its from my notes
*POLITICAL THEORY:
-USES OF POWER AND INFLUENCE, MANAGEMENT AS NEGOTIATING AND BARGAINING:
oPolitical approach emphasizes “interests” and “power”
oCentral focus is understanding how organisational participants seek to influence outcomes via use of power.
oReputation becomes an important source of power/influence
oPolitical skills (negotiation, bargaining, networking) as important as qualifications & technical expertise
oFocuses on “consultative” approach (in between autocratic/democratic approach)
Consulting others, considering input carefully before making decisions (not degrading power, but still allowing interaction)
Enterprise bargaining and agreement encouraged

-STRUCTURE OF COALITIONS:
oSees structure of biz as coalitions-each group forms a coalition to achieve common goals for differing purposes.
E.g. both suppliers & management will work towards the same goal but will have different interests in mind.
oAn important managerial skill is to make sure all is harmonious & to minimize conflict that may arise from conflict of interests.

Hope that helped :)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
why would a business opt to use the political management theory?
like for classial-scientific it is used to increase production and hence profitability and for behavioural used to connect with people and succesfully motivate them, but why is political used?

( i am yet another person that struggles with poltical managment theory)

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
yeah that made it a bit clearer goan_crazy, thanks. But yeah the same question arises as from girl04, why would a business opt for political theory? As far as I can see with political theory and the consultative approach decisions take a long to time to be made, therefore political management theory isn't the best for dealing with fast moving changes in the business environment.

*edit*

ahh i just saw your post Without Wings. That clears up a few more things. I might print that out :p But I still don't get the strength for political theory, makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Opium heres some strengths of the political theory:
Better fits complexity of today
Able to create alliances & coalitions
Recognises speed & complexity of change
More effective tools to achieve goals

pig_93

HSC
i agree. mad stuff from wings and goan
thankyou so much
can i ask though, where do u get this stuff from? cos nothing i read has this in depth analysis. i didnt even know the basic thing that it was a 'consultative approach'.
thanks heaps

another thing, those POWERS ie coercive referrent etc...do they belong in this political management theory? cos im my textbook they are in another section and i dont know quite where they belong

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)