HELP PLS (1 Viewer)

HSCya1234567

HSC
i understand it pretty much 99%, I'm just not good at explaining it well for others. Eddie Woo has videos on youtube about it for starters, i also read a billion pages of Nesa and uac documents lmao.

i procrastinate actually studying to get a good mark by doing this lol

nicholas123456789

HSC
Essentially, an HSC mark (the overall mark that a student achieves in a subject) constitutes the average of an Assessment Mark (i.e. internal mark) and an Examination Mark (i.e. external mark). The Assessment Mark is determined using a process called moderation, which considers the following information:
  • A student's rank relative to their cohort in a particular subject.
  • The Examination Marks achieved by the student's cohort in that subject.
The essential rule is that the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in the cohort. For example, if a student ranks first internally in a subject, and the highest Examination Mark for that subject ends up being 90, the student who achieved that mark will still receive 90 as their Examination Mark, but the student ranked first will also receive that mark as their Assessment Mark because they ranked first. Where possible, the same applies to the lowest Assessment Mark (i.e. that of the student ranked last).

Students whose ranks are in between may not necessarily receive Assessment Marks that are equal to their equivalent Examination Marks, although they will be similar. For example, if the fifth-highest Examination Mark was 85, the student that achieved this mark will keep it as their Examination Mark, although the student ranked fifth internally will not necessarily receive 85, but a mark close to it (such as 83).

On the other hand, a student's own Examination Mark in a particular subject is not affected by the student's internal rank or their school rank. It is determined solely based on their own performance in the HSC exam of that subject.

There is also the element of alignment. This converts a raw mark to an aligned mark based on how well a student performed according to the descriptors in the syllabus for different bands. NESA informs students of their aligned marks, but not their raw marks. With that being said, students can pay to access their raw marks. It is also important to note that alignment does not affect a student's ATAR.

Moderation and alignment are both performed by NESA, whereas scaling is a process done by UAC. This process involves taking a student's moderated Assessment Mark and their raw Examination Mark (i.e. not aligned), the average of which produces a raw HSC mark. UAC then converts this to a scaled HSC mark (which is not reported to students) to be used in determining the student's ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

View attachment 39253
yooo i appreciate it bro, i actually understand this now tyty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)