Help Please (1 Viewer)

Roors

HSC
HEY!!!
I need help with writing long- report responses for exams! I have a test tis week for marketing, and its just a long response! I've never been that good at long response- wonder if anyone culd help me pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Do you have an idea of how to structure a report?

I think there's a thread about it somewhere below.

What I found helped when I did this subject was to write out a little report outline, noting main points, and where your report is heading before you start. It's amazing how much faster thoughts will come into your head if you note them down earlier on in the exam, when you're not pushed for time, and your mind is still clear. It also helps you structure your report, and the markers always like structure - it makes the report easier to read and understand.

Remember to assess the current business situation thoroughly (use SWOT, 4Ps, etc.). In a marketing report, it's easier becuase you have those tools, and there is usually a problem with one or more of the factors. So you need to correctly identify what's wrong, then make useful recommendations.

So your report should basically go:

Executive Summary (write this last)
Body (Assessment, key concerns and problem areas)
Recommendations
Conclusion, rounding off

Also, no florid prose. Remember to use point form and subheadings. It so much more concise that way - you can get more across.

Roors

HSC
thanksssssss so much for that!!!!!
Wat if the question states something like- you are a marketing manager of so and so firm and your keen to enter a new market. You have been given the responsibilty of devising a marketing plan for this venture.
how would i structure that?
im guessing the main headings are:
Situational analysis
establish objectives
identify target markets
develop strategies
implementation/monitoring

but how do i write it, like do i make up facts and features for the business (like 4 swot) or do i basically in general say whatis needed to be done??? i'm so confused!!!
I've been looking on the net for a sample report for a marketing long response, but i can't find one!!!
Thankss

AGB

HSC
wot day is the exam......just out of interest? if its be4 fri i can scan one and post it here??????

Roors

HSC
YES PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Exams on thursday!!
PLEASEEE

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by Roors
thanksssssss so much for that!!!!!
Wat if the question states something like- you are a marketing manager of so and so firm and your keen to enter a new market. You have been given the responsibilty of devising a marketing plan for this venture.
how would i structure that?
im guessing the main headings are:
Situational analysis
establish objectives
identify target markets
develop strategies
implementation/monitoring

I've been looking on the net for a sample report for a marketing long response, but i can't find one!!!
Thankss
yeah, I'd wait for the sample report, and take a look at that. Can you ask your teacher for any sample responses from the past?

Originally posted by Roors
but how do i write it, like do i make up facts and features for the business (like 4 swot) or do i basically in general say whatis needed to be done???
OK, two really important things to remember.

1. Don't make recommendations in your situational analysis. That is just to work out what is going well, or not so well for the business.

2. You shouldn't ever have to 'make up' facts and figures. They will be given to you in the question, if they want you to include them. it's how you interpret/make meaning of these facts and figures which will get you marks.

As for your subheadings, they're fine. There will usually be enough information given in the question for you to write a swot analysis. Just organise this information under the four subheadings, then if you feel you need more points, expand on what is given to you in the question by drawing some obvious inferences. For example, if the question shows you a table of data about various product lines, and you can see that some products which have, say, exclusive distribution and higher range pricing are selling better than those with more extensive distribution, this could be for a number of reasons. The fact that the business has control at the upper end of the market is a strength. The lower end is not as strong, and so this is a weakness. This could be due to a greater number of competitors in this market, which could be a threat to the business. Given its success with certain products, the business may look to increase its gains by marketing these products in a more global market, and this would be an opportunity.

Remember that you are only drawing on what you have, and never actually making a recommendation, until after the objectives are established.

Roors

HSC
thanks for that, it is a bit easier for me to understand now, thank you!!
I'm still waiting for AGB to send me that report.
Thanks for your time and help!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)